Houston
www.magickalshadow.com
Last edited:

telecomdude

Oct 27, 2010

seabhac

Oct 6, 2010
Rooting

I've been following this topic ever since I got my Zio about a week after it came out for Cricket. I've always been leary of new OS's that are untried and uncertain and still have alot of bugs so I've been biding my time waiting to find out the best, safest way to root my Zio and, of course, for the ever elusive 2.1 upgrade lol,.. But for now basically as far as I've read is the Root using the N1 the best right now? Can someone tell me where I can get it easiest and what the best way to root is currently for the Zio? because I want to be able to utilize Barnacle a few other apps that do require rooting to do so. Thanks in advance!!

telecomdude

Oct 27, 2010
what exactly do you mean by "doesn't recognize"? you flashed the zio port of clockwork, yes?

I thought I had, but I think I chose the wrong phone model was chosen accidentally the first time, then I found the clockwork zio image and flashed that but the phone is still having issues...I think flashing the wrong rom first might have really screwed something up....the odd thing is that clockwork still doesn't show my phone model...I flashed it telling it to load the clockwork-recovery-20101031.img from the sd card

Flare106

Oct 23, 2010
Alright im having a bit of an issue and was hoping someone could possibly help me out. I did a factory reset on the phone by selecting it under the USB/storage and after i did the factory reset my phone is now stuck in a boot loop, it will keep powering off and going to the kyocera screen and it does this continuosly. I put it in fastboot mode and typed fastboot -w into cmd, and formatting user data and formatting cache appeared on the phones screen and still the phone is stuck in the boot loop. Does anyone know what i can do to get this damn phone working?
*edit* its weird, my phone was working fine before i did the factory reset, i just wanted to clear everything off and start fresh with it. I have no clue what could have happened!

Last edited:

s23bog

Mar 18, 2010
Louisville, KY
Zio update

"Hi guys, I work for cricket and thought I would share some information with you.

The zio will not be getting 2.1

BUT! it will be getting 2.2 this winter."

I grabbed this from another thread.

seabhac

Oct 6, 2010
Anyone know the best way to root the zio yet? and any word on when this 2.2 will come out? lol

gregnotcraig

Jan 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
azgeek.us
I thought I had, but I think I chose the wrong phone model was chosen accidentally the first time, then I found the clockwork zio image and flashed that but the phone is still having issues...I think flashing the wrong rom first might have really screwed something up....the odd thing is that clockwork still doesn't show my phone model...I flashed it telling it to load the clockwork-recovery-20101031.img from the sd card

This is the correct clockwork, ported by phazei and others: http://db.tt/txPHr0M it's the one you flashed in the end?
that should get you back in working order, as the phone does a factory reset when you flash (something they're still trying to figure out)
if you used the wrong clockwork to make a backup, it probably didn't get all the needed data for a proper restore.
if you need the zio dump it's elsewhere in the thread, or i can post a link...

telecomdude

Oct 27, 2010
This is the correct clockwork, ported by phazei and others: http://db.tt/txPHr0M it's the one you flashed in the end?
that should get you back in working order, as the phone does a factory reset when you flash (something they're still trying to figure out)
if you used the wrong clockwork to make a backup, it probably didn't get all the needed data for a proper restore.
if you need the zio dump it's elsewhere in the thread, or i can post a link...

if I flash that will it set my phone to 1.6? I noticed that the file name was for a cricket phone...

seabhac

Oct 6, 2010
Universal Androot worked perfectly. I was using Barnacle last night and seeing speeds of up to 2-3 mb down and 1 mb up on my computer. thanks! Now if only Cricket would get off their butts and give us the 2.1 or 2.2...

aj203355

Oct 18, 2010
Just a heads up for everyone, I believe that the 2.2 update includes a patch that will not allow 1-click rooting. You would have to load a rooted rom if I remember correctly.

Sent from my zio on cricket through XDA app.

seabhac

Oct 6, 2010
Just a heads up for everyone, I believe that the 2.2 update includes a patch that will not allow 1-click rooting. You would have to load a rooted rom if I remember correctly.

Anyone know if, after the 2.2 update we'll have to re root the phone or will it still be rooted from the Universal Androot 1.5/1.6 rooting?

aj203355

Oct 18, 2010
Can anyone verify whether or not what I stated is true/correct

Sent from my zio on cricket through XDA app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was looking around for a thread for this phone, but found nothing. I hope people start working on it, I'd like to mod it.
    Is there anything I can do to help, like dumping the rom? Do any of the current tools even work on it?
    I read somewhere Kyocera was going to put out an upgrade to 2.1, bit I can't find anything besides a mention of that.

EDIT: FEB 22, 2011
    NEW 2.2 THREAD
    YES! It is actually out! For real!

EDIT: Jan 27, 2011
    It was released (somewhere around page 76) that Android 2.2 would be released Late Feb to early March.

START NEW THREADS!
    If you have questions other than modding, it would help to put it in a new thread with the prefix subject "Kyocera Zio M6000 - "
    I figure if lots of threads pop up like that it would be more likely that they'd notice it and actually create it's own forum. If everything is just tagged onto this thread, then it will just get huge and unnavigable, and the mods won't notice enough activity.

Update:
    hotaru was awesome enough to post a full dump of the Zio for us:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8907621&postcount=287

If you look around this thread you'll find info about rooting the phone. Also in this thread a port Clockwork Recovery was released. There are some issues with it that were not resolvable. Such as if you boot to Clockwork and don't actually reset the phone, it will lose the Cricket settings and revert to Verizon. So it will work to recover a ROM and backup, but you need to also need to reset or restore when you go there.
    Chalo Valencia Jr.

heres what i got to day at zclusive face book page

ZIO OS 2.2 UPDATE.....
    ...Kyocera rep stoped by our corp store today and I was able to speak with him.
    Here's the info i gathered.
    1. Zio OS 2.2 will be launched nationwide week Feb 22nd - Feb 28th.
    2. OS 2.2 has been completed and testing is complete since Jan 16th.
    ...3. Tethering is disabled.
    4. Adobe Flash will be supported
    5. WiFi recommended for downloading update, file is 133 MB.
    6. Performance Improvements
    −The new 2.2 OS has improved management of device memory, providing the user with faster transition through the device user interface and faster interaction with applications.
    7. 5 Home Screens
    −More home screens to further customize device short cuts and quick access to key apps.
    8. Live Wallpaper Support
    −Allows the user to customize their home screen with animated wallpapers (
    9. Camera & Camcorder Feature Buttons
    −Added to the short cut screen to allow for quicker access. These are two frequently used feat...ures consumers wanted quick access to -upload images and content to social networking sights even faster now!
    10. Gallery Zoom Gesture Support
    −Peek into stacks of pictures and zoom in and out with greater ease.
    11. Multiple keyboard languages
    −Allows the user to switch between different languages by swiping across the space bar. This will then change the keys, as well as the auto-update dictionary.
    12. MS Exchange supported (email, calendar, and contacts)
    −Provides the user total access to their daily calendar, all saved contacts and the ability to multitask via e-mail; this is the true Smartphone experience! (Kyocera will provide set up and instructions in updated User Guide)
    13. Application Auto Update
    14. As new apps are downloaded, the user can choose auto update or manual update –the user controls how updates to their device are handled.

DO NOT unplug the device from the computer while the update is in progress (device screen will go black once upgrade is in progress). This will break the device.
    •The tethered upgrade process will take about 10 minutes (progress will be sho...w via status bar in-tool). Thereafter it will power-cycle and wake-up.This may take several minutes as the new system boots on the handset, please be patient.
    –You can confirm the SW version as follows: Menu > Settings > About Phone, scroll down to confirm Android Version = 2.2.1and Build Number = V1.900CR.9C.

ZioAndroid 2.2 Upgrade: Wi-Fi download process, before you start….
    •The device should be fully charged when starting the download.
    •It is recommended that the user set their screen timeout setting to „never time out.‟
    •The file can only be dow...nloaded over Wi-Fi. The user must set up the Wi-Fi connection and remain connected to Wi-Fi for the entire length of the download.
    –Do NOT attempt the download over Mi-Fi(it will take forever).
    •The speed of the upgrade is largely dependent on your Wi-Fi connection and data speeds. On high-speed Wi-Fi connection with good signal quality, the upgrade could take as little as 30 minutes to complete.Under less desirable circumstances, the upgrade could take upwards of 2 hours.

The upgrade consists of 3 separate software packages, your device will power-cycle after each one is downloaded and installed. Only after the third power cycle and restart package will the icons on the home screen be updated.
    •The download ...happens in the background and there are only a few times during the upgrade that the device will not be usable (this is noted in the upgrade instructions). However, it is recommended, for the most efficient upgrade experience, that you refrain from using your device to make / accept calls, sendmessages, or for web access while the upgrade is in process.
    •If the download is interrupted (Wi-Fi is lost) the user can manually restart the download / installation, otherwise the device will automatically retry in 2 weeks.

Source: Zclusive on facebook - this is a very reliable source and all the info seems to be in order, plus this is an awful lot of work for someone to put into something if it werent real

here is the link to the thread - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=195543437141983&id=100001138331313
    Here is an APN now if some can dump the ROM. Since it can be rooted, a recovery.img can be done, it's 1/3 to having custom 2.1 ROMs built for it.
    my brother got here today... universal androot worked great and i got a rom dump...
    i removed a few system apps he wanted removed before i dumped the system partition, that's what's in the "removed system apps" folder.

http://ig.gl/zio.zip
    Im now waiting to read all the "I somehow bricked my device" posts bound to show up..
    So someones gotta say it..
    Lets be clear: if you dont think you can update your phone yourself using zclusives method, DONT!

Wait for the OTA update.
    Please...

Wait for the update...