[MOD] Ext4 4 ALL! Gingerbread AOSP + GingerSense Update: 10/27 Normal dalvik fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

*** 11/03/11 - CM Nightly flashers please see synisterwolf's post here for how to keep up with the nightlies when using this mod.

First of all I must thank tiny4579 for all of the hours he spent with me on this project and for his kernel that makes it possible for this to work on GingerSense roms. This has been a great team effort.

If you install any of these mods, on a Sense rom, Tiny's 10/15 kernel with wireless "n" support will be installed. On AOSP your currently installed kernel will be used.

There are 3 versions of this mod (choose ONE):
  1. The normal_data mod just converts your /data and /cache partitions to the ext4 filesystem type for better all around real world performance and makes the necessary changes for this to work with your currently installed rom.
  2. The no_data_limit_normal_dalvik mod (no 150MB data limit) does the above conversion but also removes the linking of /data/data to that small 150MB partition that causes the low space issues. It instead uses a subfolder of your 750MB /data partition to hold these files. It copies the data from your datadata partition, to this new subfolder and keeps the permissions in tact so that your phone doesn't know the difference. The old datadata partition is unused after this.
  3. The no_data_limit_dalvik_moved mod does exactly what mod 2 does but then uses the unused datadata partition for your /data/dalvik-cache folder.
    *If you use the no_data_limit_dalvik_moved mod and need to wipe your dalvik-cache, flash the wipe_dalvik zip file.​

Prerequisites:

1. The latest ClockworkMod (Tested on v5.0.2.0)
  2. For AOSP your current kernel needs to support Ext4 (Tested on stock CM7.1 with stock kernel)
  3. Sense users canNOT change kernels after this because the stock kernel does NOT have ext4 support.
  4. Keep in mind this is the first release. It has been tested on CM7.1, In-Sensitive Minimalist and Stock+. It should work on most Gingerbread roms for the Incredible ONLY.
  5. Yes, this should work on Sense 1.0/2.0/2.1/3.0/3.5! :) Always backup first!

**Disclaimer: This mod has a ZERO percent chance of bricking your phone but You, and only YOU, are responsible for what you do to your phone.

Usage:

1. If you flashed a version lower than v1.0 of the no_data_limit script, READ THIS!
  2. Reboot into recovery and make a good nandroid backup
  3. Either flash the rom you want to use, Restore a nandroid or skip this step to convert for your currently installed rom
  4. Flash either the normal_data convert script or the no_data_limit convert script, depending on what you want
  5. Reboot
  6. Next click the "Thanks" button for Tiny (post #2) and For Me! :D Then Enjoy!
  7. If you want to confirm that the mod worked, run this from adb shell or teminal emulator:
    Code:
    mount | grep ext4
    If it worked, 2 lines will be displayed. If it didn't, nothing will be displayed.

To Move Dalvik Back to Normal Location:

• Flash this. (Thanks cmlusco!)

To Uninstall

1. Just do a full wipe in CWM
  2. Flash a fresh rom or restore a pre Ext4 backup

If you upgrade your rom after converting (Like a flashover update)

• Re-run the mod as the last thing while in recovery after flashing the update.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
If you're having issues going to or from the mod, please make sure you're using cwm 5.0.2.0. It would help with wipe data issues as one user reported.

Attachments

• screenshot-1319592414992.jpg
    screenshot-1319592414992.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 5,935
  • screenshot-1319592349849.jpg
    screenshot-1319592349849.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 4,885
  • screenshot-1319592434429.jpg
    screenshot-1319592434429.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 4,724
  • screenshot-1319592445635.jpg
    screenshot-1319592445635.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,598
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2776902

Sorry if I took any more reserves. But just to be clear, the normal data mod is faster than no data limit mod? I've never had the data full message, so I'll just use the first one. Just curious.

Reactions: nyr35blue

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry if I took any more reserves. But just to be clear, the normal data mod is faster than no data limit mod? I've never had the data full message, so I'll just use the first one. Just curious.

You're exactly right Brett. The normal leaves /data/data on it's own partition and should be faster. It should be really noticeable on the newer sense roms like Newt's HD rom.

D

Deleted member 2776902

You're exactly right Brett. The normal leaves /data/data on it's own partition and should be faster. It should be really noticeable on the newer sense roms like Newt's HD rom.

Sweet, thanks! I typically run CM7, and it's already crazy fast, I can't imagine it being any faster. But I have run many of the newer Sense ROMs, and there cool, but were always a little to slow for me. Guess I'll have to give them a run again :D

/Nice updater script, I LOL'd.

godsmacked4653

Apr 25, 2010
So I'm curious exactly how this space is distributed. If the Incredible's "internal storage" is 750 MB, does that include everything in the /data folder, or specifically the apps and not their data?
Basically, if you have 200 MB of internal storage free, and 100 MB of stuff in /data/data, then you flash this mod, will it show 200 or 100 MB of internal storage free? Hopefully that's not too dumb of a question. :cool:

jermaine151

Jun 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
So I'm curious exactly how this space is distributed. If the Incredible's "internal storage" is 750 MB, does that include everything in the /data folder, or specifically the apps and not their data?
Basically, if you have 200 MB of internal storage free, and 100 MB of stuff in /data/data, then you flash this mod, will it show 200 or 100 MB of internal storage free? Hopefully that's not too dumb of a question. :cool:

Not dumb at all. You would have 100MB remaining because the datadata would become part of the /data partition.

Reactions: godsmacked4653

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
Tiny (or anyone), do you know if the latest Incredikernel for AOSP has Ext4 support? Really want to try this with MIUI and Incredikernel :)

Reactions: spence341

CUBENSIS

Aug 28, 2008
OnePlus 6T
Running this now. Certain things are clearly faster , eg loading of web pages (especially complicated pages or pages w/ Flash), loading of map tiles in Maps, program loading, and the very end of OS startup (after boot anim is done).

edit: this is on newt's inc hd sense 3.5 v1.05
Sent from my Droid Incredible HD using XDA App

Last edited:

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
Weird. I flashed it but it put me in a Bootloader loop. Going to restore my backup (good thing I made one!) now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

*** 11/03/11 - CM Nightly flashers please see synisterwolf's post here for how to keep up with the nightlies when using this mod.

First of all I must thank tiny4579 for all of the hours he spent with me on this project and for his kernel that makes it possible for this to work on GingerSense roms. This has been a great team effort.

If you install any of these mods, on a Sense rom, Tiny's 10/15 kernel with wireless "n" support will be installed. On AOSP your currently installed kernel will be used.

There are 3 versions of this mod (choose ONE):
    1. The normal_data mod just converts your /data and /cache partitions to the ext4 filesystem type for better all around real world performance and makes the necessary changes for this to work with your currently installed rom.
    2. The no_data_limit_normal_dalvik mod (no 150MB data limit) does the above conversion but also removes the linking of /data/data to that small 150MB partition that causes the low space issues. It instead uses a subfolder of your 750MB /data partition to hold these files. It copies the data from your datadata partition, to this new subfolder and keeps the permissions in tact so that your phone doesn't know the difference. The old datadata partition is unused after this.
    3. The no_data_limit_dalvik_moved mod does exactly what mod 2 does but then uses the unused datadata partition for your /data/dalvik-cache folder.
      *If you use the no_data_limit_dalvik_moved mod and need to wipe your dalvik-cache, flash the wipe_dalvik zip file.​

Prerequisites:

1. The latest ClockworkMod (Tested on v5.0.2.0)
    2. For AOSP your current kernel needs to support Ext4 (Tested on stock CM7.1 with stock kernel)
    3. Sense users canNOT change kernels after this because the stock kernel does NOT have ext4 support.
    4. Keep in mind this is the first release. It has been tested on CM7.1, In-Sensitive Minimalist and Stock+. It should work on most Gingerbread roms for the Incredible ONLY.
    5. Yes, this should work on Sense 1.0/2.0/2.1/3.0/3.5! :) Always backup first!

**Disclaimer: This mod has a ZERO percent chance of bricking your phone but You, and only YOU, are responsible for what you do to your phone.

Usage:

1. If you flashed a version lower than v1.0 of the no_data_limit script, READ THIS!
    2. Reboot into recovery and make a good nandroid backup
    3. Either flash the rom you want to use, Restore a nandroid or skip this step to convert for your currently installed rom
    4. Flash either the normal_data convert script or the no_data_limit convert script, depending on what you want
    5. Reboot
    6. Next click the "Thanks" button for Tiny (post #2) and For Me! :D Then Enjoy!
    7. If you want to confirm that the mod worked, run this from adb shell or teminal emulator:
      Code:
      mount | grep ext4
      If it worked, 2 lines will be displayed. If it didn't, nothing will be displayed.

To Move Dalvik Back to Normal Location:

• Flash this. (Thanks cmlusco!)

To Uninstall

1. Just do a full wipe in CWM
    2. Flash a fresh rom or restore a pre Ext4 backup

If you upgrade your rom after converting (Like a flashover update)

• Re-run the mod as the last thing while in recovery after flashing the update.
    If you're having issues going to or from the mod, please make sure you're using cwm 5.0.2.0. It would help with wipe data issues as one user reported.
    Ok guys. I found the issue with the normal_dalvik script and it has been fixed. Some of you guys had legitimate issues and others just need to read the instructions better in the OP. I really don't mind helping folks but if I spend my time updating the OP with changes and instructions and you can't spend your time to read them, I can't help you.

My woman just came out of surgery :( and I'm going to be busy trying to take care of her until she recovers enough to take care of herself. I'll do what I can but you need to understand I can't update or fix issues as fast as you'd like. Patience is a virtue. :)

Thanks!
    Almost 20,000 views of this thread in 5 days! Over 140,000 views of my 3 threads. Can I get a free Galaxy Nexus XDA Bosses??? ;) C'mon!
    Awesome!!!! :D I'll replace the attachments in the OP with these. Thanks for your patience Neo and everyone else that has bootlooped! Tiny is the one that told me to do it this way in the first place and I was hard headed. LOL

EDIT: Updated! My bootloopers, please try again and report back. Thanks guys!

Yeah, I think I fixed my copy when you send it to me so that's why I don't have the issue on AOSP for me. I got the bootloops initially without the wait in there.