usb 3.0

Search This thread

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Data transfer is fast but the charge time is ridiculous slow :(

If it works like the N3's charging isn't affected. And higher transfer speeds are only to USB 3.0-equipped Windows PCs.

The Galaxy Note 3 ships with USB 3.0, unfortunately at least in its current state it doesn't seem to get any benefit from the interface. Although the internal eMMC is capable of being read from at ~100MB/s, sustained transfers from the device over adb averaged around 30MB/s regardless of whether or not I connected the Note 3 to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 host.

Update: USB 3.0 does work on the Note 3, but only when connected to a Windows PC with USB 3.0. Doing so brings up a new option in the "USB Computer Connection" picker with USB 3.0 as an option. Ticking this alerts you that using USB 3.0 might interfere with calls and data, but then switches over. Connection transfer speed is indeed faster in this mode as well, like you'd expect.​

Charging is an interesting story on the Note 3, but primarily because of what doesn’t change. The Note 3 continues to use Samsung’s tablet charging specification and charger, which has 2 amps of maximum output. The Note 3 draws 2 amps over a considerable amount of the charging curve, like other Samsung devices (in the linear part of the charge curve). USB 3.0 doesn’t change things up here quite yet with the new supported charge voltages that are coming eventually with the power delivery specification.​

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7376/samsung-galaxy-note-3-review/3

marcee79

Nov 5, 2010
Somewhere (maybe in the user guide?!) in the specification of the Note Pro 12.2 you can read something about a maximum charging time of 4 hours. To get this charging time you need a minimum of 2,5 A. What is the specification of the power plug?

On an USB3 host (PC, Laptop...) you only get a maximum current of 900 mA, maybe a bit more sometimes. With this current the charging time should be easily over 12 hours.

Last edited:

omegafiler

Dec 22, 2010
TX
USB 3.0 works just fine. Read/Write speeds have easily been over 30MB/s, with peaks around 40 or so. That's with the Sandisk 64GB MicroSD Class 10 card I have installed, which is really the "bottleneck." It's noticeably faster using internal storage and much closer to max USB 3.0 speeds, especially when reading.

Also FYI, the included charger has an Output of 5.3V / 2.0A. Which is 10.6 Watt.

Keep in mind that the tablet can easily draw more power than either USB 2.0 or 3.0 can provide, while in use. USB is 0.5A and USB 3.0 0.9A. Using the included 2.0A charger is your best bet.

I just let mine charge up over night, so I'm not really watching it or anything. I haven't gotten anywhere close to killing the battery, but I also haven't put it through "all day" heavy use yet.

I am running GSAM, so we'll see how things look soon enough.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Data transfer is fast but the charge time is ridiculous slow :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app