[Q] odin on and off

Search This thread

BigNoobee

May 4, 2013
It seems that when I connect my phone to odin a com port opens. When I put my phone into recovery mode the com port does not open so odin does not see my phone. Yes I do have the phone in debug mode. Samsung drivers are in.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Trying to root the phone. Doesn't the phone need to be in recovery mode to root it?

Depending on your phone model and what method you are trying to use to root, you may need to flash SuperSU via recovery. This process does not, however, start in recovery. It starts with flashing custom recovery via Odin and then manually booting to recovery to flash the SuperSU zip. To flash a custom recovery via Odin, you would need to boot into download mode. There are other methods, of course, to root that do not require either download or recovery modes. What's the model of your phone and what firmware version are you on?

BigNoobee

May 4, 2013
Depending on your phone model and what method you are trying to use to root, you may need to flash SuperSU via recovery. This process does not, however, start in recovery. It starts with flashing custom recovery via Odin and then manually booting to recovery to flash the SuperSU zip. To flash a custom recovery via Odin, you would need to boot into download mode. There are other methods, of course, to root that do not require either download or recovery modes. What's the model of your phone and what firmware version are you on?

The phone is a SGH-I747M ver. 4.3

I tried rooting based on a number of videos as to easily follow the process.

BigNoobee

May 4, 2013
It seems that when I connect my phone to odin a com port opens. When I put my phone into recovery mode the com port does not open so odin does not see my phone. Yes I do have the phone in debug mode. Samsung drivers are in.

I should have stated my goal. My goal is to put kitkat on my phone. After talking to my provider (petro mobility) on the Rogers network no upgrades are going to be provided and at the very least I need an s4 or better s5 to run kitkat. Also this information I was given is NOT official but only the opinion of an employee"s personal opinion, having worked for the company for some time. The phone is not supported in any way by petro mobility but is only running on the Rogers network. If any upgrades are made it will be by Rogers. Rogers will not say anything because I am not a Rogers customer.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
To flash a Kit Kat ROM, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone.

You can load Philz Touch via Odin.You can flash the latest tar Philz d2lte from here: http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte

Boot into download mode, put the Philz tar file in the PDA section of Odin, check nothing except auto reboot and F.Reset Time.

Boot into recovery mode and you will see that Phil has replaced the stock recovery.

You can copy a custom rom to your external micro SD card and flash it.

If you just want a rooted stock ROM, look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...tmctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=34317218

Warning: doing all of these things can soft or hard brick your phone. Make sure you read and understand everything before proceeding. The method I described worked my i747m with 4.1.2 and another i747m with 4.3. I cannot guarantee it will work for you.

Reactions: BigNoobee

BigNoobee

May 4, 2013
To flash a Kit Kat ROM, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your phone.

You can load Philz Touch via Odin.You can flash the latest tar Philz d2lte from here: http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte

Boot into download mode, put the Philz tar file in the PDA section of Odin, check nothing except auto reboot and F.Reset Time.

Boot into recovery mode and you will see that Phil has replaced the stock recovery.

If you just want a rooted stock ROM, look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...tmctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=34317218

Warning: doing all of these things can soft or hard brick your phone. Make sure you read and understand everything before proceeding. The method I described worked my i747m with 4.1.2 and another i747m with 4.3. I cannot guarantee it will work for you.

GREAT !!!! GREAT !!!:laugh: Sorry for Yelling It worked for me ThanX

My next step is to go get Rom Manager from the app store...watching their video now on Rom Manager.. Very high learning curve for me- hope I don't brick the phone ....

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA

My next step is to go get Rom Manager from the app store...watching their video now on Rom Manager.. Very high learning curve for me- hope I don't brick the phone ....

Now you have custom recovery, you can flash a Kit-Kat based custom ROM. There is, of course, a difference between a Kit-Kat based custom ROM and official Kit-Kat 4.4. We have information and I'm sure they are reliable enough, that Kit-Kat 4.4 will be rolled out for Samsung GS III and all its variants including the i747U/M. The expectation has, however, been on for some time and no one really knows when and if. If you are using a custom ROM, you will not be able to get OTA updates for official firmware if the official version is rolled out but manual updates will still be possible, thanks to the development community.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto

I don't personally use ROM Manager as I find it redundant. Now that you have Philz which can flash pretty much any KK ROM, you can just stick with using Philz to flash.

I like the Validus ROM on the i747m. I find it works well and has great battery life and performance.

BTW, you do not need to root in order to flash a custom ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.