How to kill battery drain issues without an app

Search This thread

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Hi everyone!

OK, I have pretty much isolated issues with battery since I found faulty wiring with Samsung USB cables that come with their chargers.

Not everyone will find issues with the USB cable, but the way it is made will be an issue eventually.

One, the cable is very thin and flexible, so many will stretch over a near by wall outlet to use the charger while using the tablet.

Eventually the wire at the connecter on the tablet end gets bent up to 90 degrees, Eventually causing two issues. One intermittent charging. The other a short. I have had both happen since Owning it in November 2013.I almost had a fire, as the plug had a meltdown. Super dangerous!

Now while messing with trimming down apps and memory, I found a few apps that I use have the ability of keeping the CPU and GPU at their highest frequency. They call it boost mode. Even if you have it disabled, toggling it on and off may clear out the setting if you notice your tablet's battery depleting fairly fast and heating up on the left side.

Now for a odd issue with Google apps... I removed the Google Play Music Player, and disabled DRM/Downloads and made a few adjustments to Media Server. What happens is Music Player will cause playback automatically and Media Server will loop into high CPU usage even during reboot. DRM and Media server can cause this condition quite easily. So far Google is not working on a fix for JellyBean. Only KitKat has this fix, all other previous Androids,Gingerbread for example, do not have the issue. Corrupt files or files with _ or strange symbols will cause this loop until the tablet is turned off completely and restarted.

rabichowdhary

Jan 23, 2014
kolkata

Hi everyone!

OK, I have pretty much isolated issues with battery since I found faulty wiring with Samsung USB cables that come with their chargers.

Not everyone will find issues with the USB cable, but the way it is made will be an issue eventually.

One, the cable is very thin and flexible, so many will stretch over a near by wall outlet to use the charger while using the tablet.

Eventually the wire at the connecter on the tablet end gets bent up to 90 degrees, Eventually causing two issues. One intermittent charging. The other a short. I have had both happen since Owning it in November 2013.I almost had a fire, as the plug had a meltdown. Super dangerous!

Now while messing with trimming down apps and memory, I found a few apps that I use have the ability of keeping the CPU and GPU at their highest frequency. They call it boost mode. Even if you have it disabled, toggling it on and off may clear out the setting if you notice your tablet's battery depleting fairly fast and heating up on the left side.

Now for a odd issue with Google apps... I removed the Google Play Music Player, and disabled DRM/Downloads and made a few adjustments to Media Server. What happens is Music Player will cause playback automatically and Media Server will loop into high CPU usage even during reboot. DRM and Media server can cause this condition quite easily. So far Google is not working on a fix for JellyBean. Only KitKat has this fix, all other previous Androids,Gingerbread for example, do not have the issue. Corrupt files or files with _ or strange symbols will cause this loop until the tablet is turned off completely and restarted.

bro I will suggest you to take your note 8 to near by samsung service centre....

Last edited:

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
bro I will suggest you to take your note 8 to near by samsung service centre....

why??? I have no issues.

Oh here is more about draining batterys with 4.2.2

Many who don't have battery drain issues are running 4.2.1 or earlier.

Google Music Player after December 2013 will drain the battery on 4.2.2 ROMs.

Found Samsung OEM USB / Charging cables too weak and flimsy. Gone to Blackberry / Sony / Ericson cables, as they are the best in the business for OEM cables. Not only they are robust they have built-in passive filtering for high throughput connectivity. Also they allow for a good quality USB extension cable to be used with fast charging. I do not recommend any combined lengths beyond 1.8 Meters, or 5 Feet.

Use nomedia in folders not containing media on the SD card. If you are not sure about how to properly use nomedia, redirect your Internet browsers cache to SD, and copy the file from the cache directory anywhere that is needed.

Remove or edit any '_' in a media file's name, as media will run constantly when detecting an underscore.

Watch the data and battery tools in the android system, to assist in diagnoses of rogue apps running.

Beware of Xposed modules... I ran across a few that their updates caused slow booting and errors. Watch your Xposed log after a few reboots with any Xposed updates.

I'll repeat myself from the original entry on top of this thread... Watch for any module or app that has boost/benchmark capabilities. Disable it by all means. I have tweaked with OC tools with custom ROMs and found very little benefit. For those who scoff, here are my current battery and performance info for daily activities.

Charge rate while on AC and active: 20% every 45 minutes.
Sleep with Wifi on during a 12 hour period, total drain: 3%
Drain per hour while being active: 10%
Drain per hour Miracasting Netflix to tv: 12%
Netflix operation no lag or sync issues with high resolution. Note: this is with small tweaks with a stock ROM.
Even with performance tweaks for audio and CPU throughput. No overclocking or under volting was performed. I probably would get better battery drain performance by removing Viper4AndroidFX and keeping with OEM audio driver.

Here are my tweaks.

Xposed App Settings... 220dpi 1000x1600 even though stock parameters default to 320dpi, the system defaults to 180dpi and needs overridden.
360 security with active Android security patch update (Works when you do a manual full scan) and built-in app performance & cleanup tool.
Greenify & Xposed donation with Greenify extras.
Xposed boot manager.
Disabled Google Music Player.
Viper4androidFX set to Medium efficiency with Neon driver.
Trickster Mod with settings for 1024 cache, Zbuffer, and Ondemand set.

Last edited: