How to fix kk update issues

Search This thread

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
We need a guide. We dont have to look thru all posts. If u find it or wanna write it, pls post it in here

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
When u try to update the kk, it fails at like 40% and ur hboot is upgraded. Use this guide for zara-cl if ur hboot is 2.22 (kk)

TehFlash's guide

If you have the different partition layout that was introduced with the KitKat update, and also have the upgraded HBOOT then I guess i'll write up this guide. To get the phone back in proper working order, you need to do this.

1) Make sure you have the HTC drivers installed, and HTC Sync Manager fully uninstalled. ADB/Fastboot and such in working order, etc.

2) Download the KitKat OTA ZIP from Duir's Drive Folder here https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B-kSF8g8H7KudEFRU1hPMjRObU0&export=download and open it up and take out firmware.zip

3) Get into HBOOT on the phone, and flash that firmware.zip file by running fastboot flash zip firmware.zip and also run fastboot flash update firmware.zip both will say FAIL but for me that worked if that didn't work then relock your device by running fastboot oem lock and then get back to fastboot and run fastboot oem rebootRUU (case-sensitive) and then issue fastboot flash zip firmware.zip and also run fastboot flash update firmware.zip and reboot to fastboot again

4) If you had to relock your device unlock it by getting your Unlock_code.bin from HTCdev and issue this command when you're in fastboot which is fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

5) download Duir's TWRP recovery built for KitKat which is located here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-kSF8g8H7KuME12ai1OVHVqd3M&usp=sharing grab the openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-zaracl.img and then flash that by issuing fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-zaracl.img

6) Boot up into recovery, and format Data middle button on the right and type in 'Yes' and then wipe everything (you might have to reboot back into recovery again and then wipe everything) The reason to format Data using that button is because of KitKat remapping the partitions

7) Grab the KitKat TWRP backup from here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8-7I2_Vt73ldUNPd2c4X0xoQXc/edit

8) while that downloads make a pseudo backup, and then when thats finished mount your SDcard and open up the KitKat TWRP backup on windows and just overwrite all the files in zara_cl442/zara_cl442 and then reboot back into recovery again.

9) Restore the Backup you made and overwrote with the KitKat TWRP backup

10) go into fastboot and go back to Duir's drive located here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-kSF8g8H7KuME12ai1OVHVqd3M&usp=sharing and grab KK_stock_boot.img and then flash that by issuing fastboot flash boot KK_stock_boot.img in a command prompt

11) Reboot into the System and it should work

Last edited:
Reactions: Hedied4me

Toasticuss

May 29, 2013
8) while that downloads make a pseudo backup, and then when thats finished mount your SDcard and open up the KitKat TWRP backup on windows and just overwrite all the files in zara_cl442/zara_cl442 and then reboot back into recovery again.

This is very confusing, what all should be backed up?

Boot, cache, data, recovery, and system?

Are you supposed to replace the zara_cl442 files with the files you backed up? Are you then supposed to copy all of those files back to your SD card and restore with TWRP? Do you zip everything and install the ZIP?

How is the folder structure supposed to look to restore?

Like this? J:\TWRP\BACKUPS\HT3AVSD00587\2014-07-15--20-50-43 JDQ39\ zara and backup files?

Last edited:

Toasticuss

May 29, 2013
U make a nandroid backup which contains everything in twrp or cwm

Well I made a backup, copied over the backed up files to the zara folder replacing the ones that had the same name. Then copied them all of the files into the restore folder, restored successfully, flashed the KK_Stock_boot image, and now my phone just continually reboots.

This guide doesn't work at all for me.

What would make it reboot with the new boot image?

Last edited:

Toasticuss

May 29, 2013
This guide is not for ur issue

I'm suggesting that you improve it so that it's less vague for others to follow.

I was able to get 4.4.2 successfully installed with my wifi working. Ignoring half of that guide. I took the full 4.4.2 zaracl install, put it in a TWRP restore folder and restored it, ignoring my backup. It took about 2 minutes at the HTC screen to load, but it looks to be working fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: looprevils

Child's Play

Apr 27, 2014
Im glad u fixed it. I didnt write a guide. I suggest that u write specific details of ur issue and guide

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When u try to update the kk, it fails at like 40% and ur hboot is upgraded. Use this guide for zara-cl if ur hboot is 2.22 (kk)

TehFlash's guide

If you have the different partition layout that was introduced with the KitKat update, and also have the upgraded HBOOT then I guess i'll write up this guide. To get the phone back in proper working order, you need to do this.

1) Make sure you have the HTC drivers installed, and HTC Sync Manager fully uninstalled. ADB/Fastboot and such in working order, etc.

2) Download the KitKat OTA ZIP from Duir's Drive Folder here https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B-kSF8g8H7KudEFRU1hPMjRObU0&export=download and open it up and take out firmware.zip

3) Get into HBOOT on the phone, and flash that firmware.zip file by running fastboot flash zip firmware.zip and also run fastboot flash update firmware.zip both will say FAIL but for me that worked if that didn't work then relock your device by running fastboot oem lock and then get back to fastboot and run fastboot oem rebootRUU (case-sensitive) and then issue fastboot flash zip firmware.zip and also run fastboot flash update firmware.zip and reboot to fastboot again

4) If you had to relock your device unlock it by getting your Unlock_code.bin from HTCdev and issue this command when you're in fastboot which is fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

5) download Duir's TWRP recovery built for KitKat which is located here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-kSF8g8H7KuME12ai1OVHVqd3M&usp=sharing grab the openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-zaracl.img and then flash that by issuing fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-zaracl.img

6) Boot up into recovery, and format Data middle button on the right and type in 'Yes' and then wipe everything (you might have to reboot back into recovery again and then wipe everything) The reason to format Data using that button is because of KitKat remapping the partitions

7) Grab the KitKat TWRP backup from here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8-7I2_Vt73ldUNPd2c4X0xoQXc/edit

10) go into fastboot and go back to Duir's drive located here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-kSF8g8H7KuME12ai1OVHVqd3M&usp=sharing and grab KK_stock_boot.img and then flash that by issuing fastboot flash boot KK_stock_boot.img in a command prompt

11) Reboot into the System and it should work
    This guide is not for ur issue

I'm suggesting that you improve it so that it's less vague for others to follow.

I was able to get 4.4.2 successfully installed with my wifi working. Ignoring half of that guide. I took the full 4.4.2 zaracl install, put it in a TWRP restore folder and restored it, ignoring my backup. It took about 2 minutes at the HTC screen to load, but it looks to be working fine.