Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 v0.8.3 (project closed)

Search This thread

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
In the beta you posted earlier today, only 3 Clemsyn kernels are available, no _that kernel. May be you are talking about the 0.8.0 non-beta?
Kernel contains Clemsyn OC patch, but in list you have Clemsyn "configurations" (performance sh scripts for android). Kernel - is my customized with _that patches. I can't use prepared _that kernel, because it's not support linux - only android, as I see in kernel config.

A stupid question: when you wanna install the rootfs on external microsd, why do you have to lose everything on it? Does it format it during the process? That's pretty annoying. Is formating or whatever it is necessary?
I've to be sure that the installation will be exactly the way I expect. That's mean - on clean filesystem. Also - this is simpliest way))
Before installation you can backup your files from sd and, after installation, create second vfat partition on free space.

dankens

Aug 9, 2012
Would you guys say this project is ready to use/try at this stage?

I have Cromi but no nvflash blobs. My main concern is stability and brickability of something like this.

Thanks.

gautier56

Dec 18, 2012
0.8.0a installer - user report

Hello Rabits,

Great piece of job. Installer is working and self explanatory for me, maybe too technical for anybody.
I join my test report.

Thank you,
Gautier.

Attachments

• installer_0.8.0a.txt
    2 KB · Views: 33

singoutout

Sep 8, 2011
Re: Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

Kernel contains Clemsyn OC patch, but in list you have Clemsyn "configurations" (performance sh scripts for android). Kernel - is my customized with _that patches. I can't use prepared _that kernel, because it's not support linux - only android, as I see in kernel config.

So even though it is written Clemsyn kernel it is _that modded by you? You should change the name in the installer because it is confusing

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Would you guys say this project is ready to use/try at this stage?

I have Cromi but no nvflash blobs. My main concern is stability and brickability of something like this.

Thanks.

The today release is only a new installer. A new Ubuntu build will be release this weekend. However I have used the available one in the OP and it is totaly perdect for daily use. Once you've configured it weel, I feel no difference with my pc. The only problem for now is that unity is slow, but other desktop environment work perfectly and as fast as they should. I personnaly do not like Unity, so it is not a bg deal for me ;)

chrlop

Feb 28, 2011
pR
I'm no expert too but maibe i can helpyou.
When you intall it it creates a file on your internal sorage with 10GB or what storage you used i think if you move it to your SD it will probably work since it checks a lot of partitions for that file.

To remove the ubuntu just delete that file and install a new kernel i think..hope it helps

Well tried moving it but doesn't work. Also if I upgrade to newer version do i lose all my set up.

ps. does it work with cromi 3.3

oblib__

Aug 26, 2009
Rockies
Any progress on the hidden SSID wifi issue? How can I help debug?

Any chance we can get a CM10.1 kernel for dualboot?

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg

rtfpessoa

Dec 30, 2010
Lisbon
The second time i boot ubuntu after install it, i get a screen where i just get some kind of a shell, where i can login but i don't see any GUI i'm sure i pressed 1 at start.
WOW this is very strange sometimes it happens other times it doesn't happen.

LSMOD (SHELL without UI)
zram
bcmdhd
cfg80211

I think this just happens if i reboot or shutdown ubuntu and try to go to ubuntu again. If i go to android and after that to ubuntu all is ok.
Any idea why? and how to solve it?
Can this have something to do with ubuntu files be on android /data/ubuntu/*? Do you recomend to untick this option on the installation?
Any other recomendations?

I reinstalled the ubuntu and still got this. Even with dock. Without dock i can't even login because i don't have virtual keyboard in this shell.

Last edited:

singoutout

Sep 8, 2011
Re: Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

The second time i boot ubuntu after install it, i get a screen where i just get some kind of a shell, where i can login but i don't see any GUI i'm sure i pressed 1 at start.
WOW this is very strange sometimes it happens other times it doesn't happen.

LSMOD (SHELL without UI)
zram
bcmdhd
cfg80211

I think this just happens if i reboot or shutdown ubuntu and try to go to ubuntu again. If i go to android and after that to ubuntu all is ok.
Any idea why? and how to solve it?
Can this have something to do with ubuntu files be on android /data/ubuntu/*? Do you recomend to untick this option on the installation?
Any other recomendations?

I reinstalled the ubuntu and still got this. Even with dock. Without dock i can't even login because i don't have virtual keyboard in this shell.

Did you install another deskyoo environment? It did it to me when I installed gnome-shell. It didn't with other DE though.

LEGOracer69

Mar 16, 2012
Hi, I have an odd question. Will normal minecraft java version work on this Ubuntu? It should, but I didn't try it out yet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, Guys

Currently I'm working on preparing Linux boot and rootfs image for tf700 device.
    Project is based on Nexus 7 Ubuntu installer, Linaro distribution and Hundsbuah kernel.

Release version 0.8.3

Developers thread is here

Warning!
    • You can brick your device or loose all your data. I'm not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Please, be careful.
    • This manual has been prepared for the advanced users. You are an advanced user?
      • You have linux experience
      • If there is a problem - you contact support and provide all the necessary information (devices info, steps to reproduce, logs)
    • Please, change password for ubuntu user at first login. Default password is "ubuntu".

Components:
    This system consists of several components:

Installer (v0.8.3)
    - is standart Android ZIP update file with Aroma interface.
    Features:
    • Pretty simple touch interface
    • Installing and usage Linux without a keyboard or dock
    • Detailed localization of install process (rus, eng)
    • Any device to install rootfs (usb media, sdcards or internal virtual disk file)
    • You can skip rootfs preparation and install only bootimage (if dualboot has been replaced by another installation)
    • Data2sd option supported
    • Use android /data partition as /home directory for users
    • Autobackup of old virtual rootfs image file and ubuntu user
    • Select boot priority - you can select default system to boot (Basic or Linux)
    Next release features:
    • Review of initrd options scheme
    • Install additional system to directory
    • Rootfs archive finder search maxdepth 3
    • Save log into internal memory
    attachment.php

Bootimage (v0.8.3)
    - contains Linux kernel (zImage) and initial ramdisk (initramfs). It is created during installation and stored in a special LNX partition on your device.
    Features:
    • Support of many basic systems - Android (CleanROMv3.x, CleanROMv3.x+Data2SD, CM10.x) and Ubuntu-Touch
    • Any media booting - you can boot SDcard, microSD or usbdisk
    • Virtual Disk multiboot - possible to select need virtual disk (up to 9)
    • Android & Ubuntu-Touch booting - can boot android system init from media or virtual disks
    • File system checker - before mounting filesystem should be checked by fsck.
    • Hundsbuah kernel - v2.1 optimized kernel
    Next release features:
    • Support for 4.2 android (CleanROMv4.x)
    • Run additional system from directory
    attachment.php

RootFS archive
    - compressed tar archive with root file system of OS. It is unpacked during installation to a prepared ext4 filesystem (in file or media device).
    • Ubuntu 12.10 (v0.8.0)
      Archive contain prepared Ubuntu 12.10 environment with last updates, based on Unity (3d) with Cube Desktop. You can install any software (like lxdm or xfce) to improve desktop performance, but (for now) only Unity will be supported.
      Features:
      • Pad-mode - you can use your device as pad without dock
      • Keyboard remapping - Special keys is replaced to default (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) by evdev keymap.
      • WiFi - You can connect to internet or lan through wifi
      • Touchpad 2 fingers scrolling - Move 2 fingers up-down to scrolling. 2 finger tap - is mouse 3rd button.
      • Touchscreen - Supports right click by touch one finger and click by second finger.
      • OpenGL ES - 3D, games (eduke32, Jagged Alliance 2) and nice browsing by Chromium
      • Audio and Video up to 1080p - Use nvgstplayer to HW decoding FullHD video
        • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
        • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
      Problems:
      • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
      • Going to suspend is freezing device
      • HDMI FullHD is not working (but HD is ok)
      • Bluetooth not working
      • Disable speaker if headphones connected
      • Totem is not support nvidia gstreamer plugins
      • No flash player - only HTML5
      • Skype and any proprietary software (we need ARM binary, not x86)
    • Ubuntu-Touch preview (v0.5.2 2013/03/25)
      Features:
      • Smooth touch interface
      • WiFi support (fixed)
      • Frontal Camera
    • Ubuntu 13.04 - development
      First release features:
      • Packages for specific tf700t and tegra3 components (tf700 ppa)
      • Wayland + Weston + libhybris optional support

Install Manual:
    For now installation is very simple)) No console operations needed!

Requirements:
    • Access to recovery & zip upgrade
    • > 3Gb free space in tf700 /sdcard folder or external storage
    Process:
    1. Get linux-install-0.8.3.zip (12 Mb), (mirror) MD5: 46e458791d232dafa7df49a7b506beca
    2. Get need rootfs:
    3. Copy linux-install-*.zip and rootfs-*.tar.lzma to your SDcard or /sdcard on your tf700
    4. Reboot to recovery mode
    5. Run linux-install-*.zip
    6. Next, next, next ))
    7. Wait, wait...
    8. Done, now you can reboot and see four penguins!
    9. If you have a problem with installation process - please, save install log and attach it to your help request message with good description.

Uninstall:
    Really? I feel so sad :p
    To complete uninstall multiboot & linux you need:
    • Reinstall your Android distributive or kernel part of it (this is replaces bootimage with multiboot)
    • Remove /data/media/linux directory with linux root file systems

Epilogue:
    Currently we have basic linux environment with graphics and internet. For now, Android is more friendly to the user on a Tablet PC, but we can tilt the balance to Ubuntu advantage.

If you have any question about usage - please, post it here.
    Sorry, guys, at the moment I do not have much time for supporting. All general ubuntu questions - please search in google (such as mounting sdcard, etc.).
    I am currently working on the problems with the complete installation by Aroma, migrate to Ubuntu Raring 13.04, problem of the font size, correcting of keyboard keymap, problem with suspend to RAM, totem HW video decoding...

Next release (0.8.0) will be released in near 2 weeks.
    Ubuntu Touch

So, I have some news:
    • I will prepare Ubuntu Touch tar-archive for my updated 0.8.1 installer & bootloader at this weekend)) This is really interesting and good experience! Ubuntu based on low-level android binaries - this is a very interesting solution, which is a clear way in the future.
    • Also I change my basic Android from CROMI to CM.
    Really appreciate you effort! Why not post this in the developers forum, where you might get some good inputs from other brainy people like yourself. :eek:
    I would like to prepare this howto (after stabilization and fixing minor bugs) for general users. But thanx for you response - brainy people do not come here?
    How does this vary from the other Ubuntu effort? Why not combine resources?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1988170

That would be great! At the moment I'm trying to run their environment using fastboot and find differences. I already sent message to jaybob413 and we try to combine our resources.