[Q]OTA KitKat Update Failed, won't complete boot process now.

Search This thread

jetguat

Nov 11, 2009

Holy Awesomeness! Wow. kick a** job man! I followed your steps and got it working as well. I was hacking around things I didnt know and I sorta was on that track, but probably wont have gotten there. I suspect if the system.img was put on, that was probably the kicker.

either way. Major Kudos! Thank you Thank you.

after I was done, I went to "about tablet" in the setting to see and it report build KRT16O. I tried system update, and the KRT16S loaded just fine. And to boot, as far as I can tell, all my settings and home pages are multi users appear ok.

Now.. I need to figure out what next. nandroid backup or what. I typically use TBpro, but what sort of backup should I do, in case I run into an OTA issue again. I'm using wugfresh NRT v.1.7.8 It offer a backup and nandroid backup. Never used either option. Not sure how it works of if there is enough space on the device to hold a backup. Thoughts on creating a "save image" I can use to recover later with?

thanks

Last edited:

Stinger2300

Dec 3, 2012
While mine is "functional" again and no longer stuck at boot, I think it's still not right. I'm noticing a few issues. The most notable so far is the home button doesn't seem to work anymore (the back arrow and apps button seem to work normally). The home button vibrates when I touch it but doesn't do anything. I can no longer pull down the settings from the right side of the notification bar. Same goes for pulling down the notification bar to switch users. Speaking of users, it appears to have removed my pattern unlock screen and I haven't figured out how to switch users yet (the other user does show up in the settings menu so it's not deleted).

Looking into it further, it settings it says I have a pattern unlock set up but when I reboot, it never goes to the lock screen, it goes straight to my homescreen?

I can not figure out how to access the other user account.

When I connect the device to my laptop to view pictures and other folders, it's blank. The laptop recognizes the device, allows me to open it, but there is nothing inside. All of my old pictures (and other user data) is on the device though so I can't figure out WTF is going on.

I would like to regain root so I can create a Ti backup (in case I need to do a full wipe) and also so I can install CWM and such. My brain is so scrambled from screwing with this thing all day though, I can't even figure out how to install SuperSU on the device from this link: http://download.chainfire.eu/368/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.75.zip

Last edited:

ulisses.

Sep 30, 2013

Stinger2300

Dec 3, 2012
Holy crap man I got mine to work now. Too bad I lost my data trying to figure it all out the last few days. Thanks so much!!! :good::good::laugh:

Good to hear! I assume you used the info I provided on this page to get it working? Is yours working "right" or do you have any of the issues I reported above or any other weird behavior?

AJ Bryant

Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles
If you want to update to 4.4 and keep your data (and not risk bricking your device) just use an app like ES File Explorer to move your data files to your SDcard. Then use the Nexus Root Toolkit to 'flash 4.4 stock + unroot'. Then reroot your device and put your data files back where they were. I believe the Toolkit has a way of backing up data too.

Stinger2300

Dec 3, 2012
If you want to update to 4.4 and keep your data (and not risk bricking your device) just use an app like ES File Explorer to move your data files to your SDcard. Then use the Nexus Root Toolkit to 'flash 4.4 stock + unroot'. Then reroot your device and put your data files back where they were. I believe the Toolkit has a way of backing up data too.

That's great if it's known/assumed the 4.4 OTA update is going to brick the device. Since prior OTA's worked fine on rooted but otherwise stock devices, I (and it appears a bunch of others) did the OTA update without backing up the device. Once this was done, my PC would no longer allow me to view any files on the device, no longer allowing me to transfer the files. The device also wouldn't boot to allow the use of any file explorer apps so we couldn't transfer data to SDcard.

planet_x69

Jul 7, 2011
That's great if it's known/assumed the 4.4 OTA update is going to brick the device. Since prior OTA's worked fine on rooted but otherwise stock devices, I (and it appears a bunch of others) did the OTA update without backing up the device. Once this was done, my PC would no longer allow me to view any files on the device, no longer allowing me to transfer the files. The device also wouldn't boot to allow the use of any file explorer apps so we couldn't transfer data to SDcard.

Better yet, learn to make backups prior to flashing ANYTHING. It will save your behind and take a lot of worry out of updating things and since you can copy them off to your PC you can always then restore to the exact state you were prior to any OTA or re-image. And also please cite those whose you cut and pasted...

Stinger2300

Dec 3, 2012
Yes, making a backup before would always be best. Hindsight is 20/20.

For those unaware, my "it worked" post that detailed how I finally got it back up and running was a combination of info posted in this thread by others (planet_x89) and my own trial and error.

azizmulhim

Oct 18, 2010
I GOT MINE WORKING!

Here is what I did:

I went to this link: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=vi and downloaded the 4.3 (Jelly Bean) factory image for my device. In my case, since I have a Nexus 10, it was this file: 4.3 (JWR66Y) https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jwr66y-factory-3d8252dd.tgz

Then inside that file was "image-mantaray-jwr66y.zip". I extracted that file. I then took the files I extracted (boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, and cache.img) and moved them to the "Nexus10RootNew" folder that I had previously downloaded from here: http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/Nexus10/Nexus10RootNew.zip#

Then Open file manager
Navigate to the folder you extracted the files to (Nexus10RootNew)
on the left pane select the folder, press SHIFT and Right Click mouse, then select "Open command window here"

From the command window, run >fastboot reboot-bootloader

It should reboot to the bootloader.

Then, run the following commands (note the .img files below are from the 4.3 image file, not 4.4):

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase system
fastboot flash system system.img

At this point you have a clean install of 4.3 JSS15R.

Then I removed the 4.3 .img files (boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, and cache.img) that I just used from the Nexus10RootNew folder and moved the 4.4 (KRT16S) recovery.img file into the Nexus10RootNew folder.

Then, when back in bootloader, go back to the command window and type:

>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Note this is the 4.4 (KRT16S) recovery.img file now.
(^^^^^Looking back, I don't think this is necessary and may be why I have some weird issues popping up)

After it's done:

>fastboot reboot-bootloader again and go to recovery using the volume buttons

select and enter recovery mode

wait for dead droid to appear

press both Volume UP and Power at same time and you should get the load menu

select "apply updated from adb" and press power after selecting

orange colored type will now appear at the bottom of the screen

on your PC

>adb sideload ota.zip

Make sure this is the 4.4 (KRT16S) OTA file from here: http://android.clients.google.com/p...gned-mantaray-KRT16O-from-JWR66Y.279e5e23.zip

wait till you see its completed successfully

then reboot

It should now load Kit Kat (it takes a while) and then start optimizing apps. At that point you know it's successful. Just wait for it to finish optimizing the apps and enjoy!

I ended up with KRT16O somehow, not sure since I used the KRT16S files but I assume it will notify me of the KRT16S OTA being available at some point. I have not attempted to regain root or anything yet. I'll wait for the next OTA before making it "unstock" to try to avoid any problems this time.

Note: I did end up losing all my homescreens so I'll have to move all the apps/widgets back into position but the apps and the app data is there. I did have to update a few settings like turning WiFi back on and such.

Did you lose any user data in this process?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bigtym535

Nov 26, 2013
Got an error during the sideload

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help in this thread. I tried the method outlined above of reverting back to a clean copy of 4.3 and then upgrading to 4.4. The problem I have run in to is that when executing the "adb sideload ota.zip" command I receive the following error at the windows commandline:

adb server is out of date ...
*daemon started successfully*
error device not found

Not really sure what to do. I will note that I don't really care about preserving my settings and don't mind setting all that stuff back up since that is easy enough.

Any help is appreciated.

planet_x69

Jul 7, 2011
It means your version of adb is too old. Pull the most current one from the SDK or get the basic yet current version from here

Be sure when you are prompted on the device to accept adb RSA security exception.

Last edited:

rustak

Jul 23, 2010
Hmm. I had a similar failed update -- stock JB + rooted, after the update I just got stuck at the boot animation.

However, I am unable to get into recovery. Power + volume down or Power + vol down + vol up do nothing, the device just boots as normal and gets stuck at the boot animation. Power + volume up though, I can get to the Odin downloader ("Downloading... Do not turn off target!!" -- shows up as Samsung CDC device and Odin sees it).

Any ideas? Seems like at this point I either need to get an Odin-flashable image (any image really!), or figure out some way to get back into recovery.

Edit: fixed -- I used Odin 1.85 to flash TWRP recovery from tarball (open odin, select PDA, select the twrp .tar file, click start). Then reboot tablet holding both power up and power down; this actually got me into the bootloader now. From there, I used the factory images and fastboot flashed. Curiously, my bootloader wasn't updated from the original OTA update; had to flash MANTAMF01 (I had MANTAMD03).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I GOT MINE WORKING!

Here is what I did:

I went to this link: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=vi and downloaded the 4.3 (Jelly Bean) factory image for my device. In my case, since I have a Nexus 10, it was this file: 4.3 (JWR66Y) https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/mantaray-jwr66y-factory-3d8252dd.tgz

Then inside that file was "image-mantaray-jwr66y.zip". I extracted that file. I then took the files I extracted (boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, and cache.img) and moved them to the "Nexus10RootNew" folder that I had previously downloaded from here: http://downloadandroidrom.com/file/Nexus10/Nexus10RootNew.zip#

Then Open file manager
    Navigate to the folder you extracted the files to (Nexus10RootNew)
    on the left pane select the folder, press SHIFT and Right Click mouse, then select "Open command window here"

From the command window, run >fastboot reboot-bootloader

It should reboot to the bootloader.

Then, run the following commands (note the .img files below are from the 4.3 image file, not 4.4):

fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot erase system
    fastboot flash system system.img

At this point you have a clean install of 4.3 JSS15R.

Then I removed the 4.3 .img files (boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img, and cache.img) that I just used from the Nexus10RootNew folder and moved the 4.4 (KRT16S) recovery.img file into the Nexus10RootNew folder.

Then, when back in bootloader, go back to the command window and type:

>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Note this is the 4.4 (KRT16S) recovery.img file now.
    (^^^^^Looking back, I don't think this is necessary and may be why I have some weird issues popping up)

After it's done:

>fastboot reboot-bootloader again and go to recovery using the volume buttons

select and enter recovery mode

wait for dead droid to appear

press both Volume UP and Power at same time and you should get the load menu

select "apply updated from adb" and press power after selecting

orange colored type will now appear at the bottom of the screen

on your PC

>adb sideload ota.zip

Make sure this is the 4.4 (KRT16S) OTA file from here: http://android.clients.google.com/p...gned-mantaray-KRT16O-from-JWR66Y.279e5e23.zip

wait till you see its completed successfully

then reboot

It should now load Kit Kat (it takes a while) and then start optimizing apps. At that point you know it's successful. Just wait for it to finish optimizing the apps and enjoy!

I ended up with KRT16O somehow, not sure since I used the KRT16S files but I assume it will notify me of the KRT16S OTA being available at some point. I have not attempted to regain root or anything yet. I'll wait for the next OTA before making it "unstock" to try to avoid any problems this time.

Note: I did end up losing all my homescreens so I'll have to move all the apps/widgets back into position but the apps and the app data is there. I did have to update a few settings like turning WiFi back on and such.