ZTE Open Firefox OS build thread (Mar25, updated for 3.0 build)

Search This thread

mahdsip

Aug 21, 2014
Connect your phone in USB Debugging Mode and enter the following commands:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash cache ramdisk.img

And you're good to go ;)

Thanks LinuxHolic!! I have followed these steps and now the system gets stuck on boot image showing firefox logo and Firefox OS text and nothing else seems to happen, what can be causing this? I have been able to bring zte open back lo 1.1 oficial image from zte.

I am triying to update from FFOS1.1 working official image to 1.3 published images by Saijin_Naib.

Last edited:

YemSalat

Aug 9, 2014
Thanks LinuxHolic!! I have followed these steps and now the system gets stuck on boot image showing firefox logo and Firefox OS text and nothing else seems to happen, what can be causing this? I have been able to bring zte open back lo 1.1 oficial image from zte.

I am triying to update from FFOS1.1 working official image to 1.3 published images by Saijin_Naib.

You'll probably need the boot.img from 1.3 as well. I don't think this version works with the one in 1.1 update.

mahdsip

Aug 21, 2014
You'll probably need the boot.img from 1.3 as well. I don't think this version works with the one in 1.1 update.

Thanks again for your help!! I finally get a ffos 1.3 boot image but after all flashing all images (boot,userdata,system) i just get a reboot loop....I guess it is my karma who is making me to keep stuck to 1.1. :)

Any idea?

YemSalat

Aug 9, 2014
Thanks again for your help!! I finally get a ffos 1.3 boot image but after all flashing all images (boot,userdata,system) i just get a reboot loop....I guess it is my karma who is making me to keep stuck to 1.1. :)

Any idea?

That probably wasn't me who helped you previously, but you're welcome anyway )
It's weird that you can't flash the 1.3, are you using the version which linr76 provided?

You can try flashing my 2.1 build (link), it should work for 1.1.

YemSalat

Aug 9, 2014
Last edited:

linr76

Feb 28, 2014
Zürich
is mozilla supporting this phone?

No.
the automatic updates have been disabled from FXOS 1.3 tree onwards. not sure if it still works on 1.2.
only "supported" FXOS on ZTE Open is 1.1 which is practically obsolete.
as you can see here, there are some people who try and "fix" this issue, there is even a 2.1 build available, but the hardware layer underneath (HAL/gonk) will stay forever at 1.1 level, which WILL prove a major dealbreaker down the road.

the only (and i mean that dead serious) FXOS device worth buying is the Flame (reference phone) but with 170 USD it's just way too expensive.
almost same specs ZTE Open C retails 99 USD and below, which is ok-ish, still too expensive imo.

the best way to get anything "supported" is if you check out feherneoh's thread about porting FXOS to different devices,
Sony is well supported by the community and you can self-build updates.

mahdsip

Aug 21, 2014
That probably wasn't me who helped you previously, but you're welcome anyway )
It's weird that you can't flash the 1.3, are you using the version which linr76 provided?

You can try flashing my 2.1 build (link), it should work for 1.1.

Thanks YemSalat!!! I finally could install your image so i am not in 1.1 anymore :) Your build is actually very cool, thanks for your images again. My next step will be triying to build it by myself, but my first attempts was also frustrating...we will see.. :)

hevangel

Nov 11, 2010
Somehow I found my old ZTE Open (1st gen) in a lost corner, so I decided to download the latest source from B2G, compile and flash the phone.
Now I have Firefox OS 3.0 running in the ZTE Open. 3.0 seems slightly faster than 2.2, but the radio app and video camera still do not work.
Other than that, I don't see any big difference between 3.0 and 2.2
Here is the link to the ROM image Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7HdrUmGwI8GRzR0Y25DZmlkZm8

Attachments

• 13516_10153118199105269_3267512846940999643_n.jpg
    13516_10153118199105269_3267512846940999643_n.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 701
Reactions: mahdsip and measle

Saijin_Naib

Jun 22, 2014
Somehow I found my old ZTE Open (1st gen) in a lost corner, so I decided to download the latest source from B2G, compile and flash the phone.
Now I have Firefox OS 3.0 running in the ZTE Open. 3.0 seems slightly faster than 2.2, but the radio app and video camera still do not work.

Are GPS and the Home button light still broken?

Ver Greeneyes

Feb 7, 2015
Other than that, I don't see any big difference between 3.0 and 2.2.
How did you compile B2G 2.2 for inari at all? Every time I've tried I've run into bug 1121600 (can't link it because I'm a newbie here). The last time I tried to compile 3.0 it failed to flash the phone, so I figured that was the end of the line, but maybe that's been fixed. I wish they would branch to B2G 3.1 or something though, I don't want to use a pre-alpha on my phone (from what I've heard, they decided to only branch once a year because vendors complained about the frequency of updates).

Edit: I still get the same error trying to flash my phone with a local build of 3.0: "too many links". I need to try your build, but I have no idea why there would be a difference (and it's 2 months out of date at this point).

Edit2: I can flash the system.img you provided onto it without any problems! What the heck? I wonder if mine is too big: I noticed my system.img is 169.13MiB whereas yours is only 128.64MiB. The commandline I used was simply the following:
Code:
BRANCH=master VARIANT=user ./config.sh inari
BRANCH=master VARIANT=user ./build.sh
I think you omitted the 'VARIANT=user' part since the mochitest stuff is installed. I'll try omitting it too.

Edit3: Huh, so a 'VARIANT=eng' build using B2G tip and GCC 4.8 gives a system.img of 138.91MiB and a 'VARIANT=userdebug' build gives a system.img of 171.04MiB. I can flash the 'eng' variant onto my phone just fine! So that's that mystery at least partially solved - I wonder why it's bigger with the 'user' variants though.

Edit4: Except it doesn't detect my SIM card. Welp, back to the latest 2.1s it is.

Last edited:

martin_s5670

Feb 20, 2012
Berlin
at <hevangel>
Somehow I found my old ZTE Open ...

I have flashed your system.img and userdata.img to get ffos 3.0, and it works well and indeed a good thing faster and smoother than 2.1.
During flashing "fastboot flash boot ramdisk.img" I got an error (no such partition). How can I flash your ramdisk, have I to repack the boot.img?
Thanks for compiling ffos 3.0., is there a way for you to integrate german language (new compiling?)?

Last edited:

mahdsip

Aug 21, 2014
Building FFOS code

Thanks a lot for posting Hevangel, currently using your build ;) i have been trying to compile source code for 3.0 with no success, i always get an error message
Blob setup script has changed, re-running
Backing up system partition to backup-inari
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Pulling files from ../../../backup-inari
Pulling "libOmxAacDec.so"
Failed to pull libOmxAacDec.so. Giving up.

I am strictely following the steps from the mozilla devs website, but i am not able to move forward on this. My environment is Ubuntu 12.04 (as they recommend in the website), 40 free GB, java oracle 6, g++ and gcc 4.8.1 and android rules file working.

Any help?? Wich environment are you using??

Thanks!!

autra

Jan 25, 2013
Paris
The problem seems to be in whatever rom you have currently on your device, not in your environment. It tries to pull some blob from the device and fails to get what it expected to... That's all I can say with that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I am new to Firefox OS, just got my ZTE Open last week. (used $10 from eBay)
    I followed the instruction on the internet and XDA developers, compiled and flashed Firefox OS 2.1 into the ZTE Open.

Here is a link to the *.img files, feel free to play around with it.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7HdrUmGwI8GRGlSZDdjMTBLMkk/edit?usp=sharing

2.1 seems running fine (so far so good), haven't seen it crashes since I flashed it this morning.
    I can make phone call, surf the web, install new apps from the market, play mp3 and video files and the GPS is working.

It still has the same problems as the 1.3 build, the FM radio only works with speaker, the keyboard always display capital, recording video crashed the camera app after 2 seconds.

Here are the steps.
    1. Update to official 1.1 release B06
    2. Flash the 1.3 *.img built by linr76. (BTW, mine is a US version, but linr76's build is UK version, but it seems OK)
    3. Flash my 2.1 *.img files. (pull the files from git on June 19, backup the system files from my phone on the 1.3 build)

BTW, I actually want to build 1.3 running BRANCH=1.3 VARIANT=user ./build.sh, but somehow the build script compiled 2.1 for me.

Hello,

I have a ZTE Open and it's currently running Prerelease 1.3. I must say I'm quite happy with its performance and the bugs aren't crippling at all. I was thinking of upgrading to the 2.1 build from this thread. I was wondering though since I saw that there's a Geeksphone Keon 2.0 build. Since it looks exactly like a ZTE Open, the question popped into my head: "would that build work on a ZTE Open?". SO I turn that question over to the community here at XDADevelopers :)

Also, can I jump from 1.3 to 2.1? or would I have to do more of a 1.3 -> 1.4 -> 2.0 -> 2.1 sort of upgrade path?

Thanks!

No, Geeksphone Keon builds won't work on ZTE Open because both phones have different hardware :)
    And yes you can directly jump from V1.3 to V2.1 :)

Precompiled images by Saijin_Naib of ZTE Open
    Hi!! Thank you very much for the information and the images, it really helps when you try to compile the source from a computer that is not debian 64...

I am in the way of flashing my ZTE open to 2.0 and i found in the Precompiled images by Saijin_Naib there is only a ramdisk,userdata and system images, ¿which are the correct steps to get the update? do i need any other boot.img or recovery.img that is not present in the repository?

BTW, i have tried to do just fastboot flash boot ramdisk.img as @elav said below but i get an error: FAILED (remote: image is not a boot image)

Thanks!!

Connect your phone in USB Debugging Mode and enter the following commands:
    adb reboot-bootloader
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot flash cache ramdisk.img

And you're good to go ;)
    Is there any particular reason you decided not to work on it anymore? It sucks that building inari does not create any boot image whatsoever(

yes, frankly said Mozilla's and ZTE's stupiditiy. throwing a half-done device on the market and then stop supporting it immediately didn't get many points with me.