[Q] Transferring files over USB - "device has stopped responding"

Search This thread

beavertank

Nov 29, 2010
Ypsilanti
So I've been trying all night to transfer a handful of CBR files to my ATP through its USB connection. I'm doing this from my desktop which is running windows 7. (in case any or all of those details might help anyone)

At first, I was trying to transfer with the prime plugged into my keyboard dock with USB debugging enabled. Then I disabled USB debugging. Then I tried, with debugging disabled, when connecting to the tablet directly. Finally I tried connected directly to the tablet, but with USB debugging enabled.

At every step in the process I will get through one folder or so, and then get an error on my desktop that says the device has stopped responding or has disconnected, and the transfer will fail.

With a bit more trial and error it seems to be that any time I interact with the prime in any way while it is transferring (even something as simple as scrolling back and forth a little on the home screen to keep it from going to sleep) it fails.

I'm not rooted, I'm on the standard firmware (.21 - latest as of now), and I've tried restarting the prime.

I can not make these files transfer and it's driving me insane. Anyone have any suggestions or theories on how to fix this?

wa3pnt

Dec 11, 2010
Chino Valley, AZ
I was hoping that there would be a response, esplanation, or solution to your post.

I am experiencing the same thing when I try to transfer a Titanium Backup Folder back on to the Tablet, be it to the internal SD Card or the External SD Card.

I've also tried all the options you mention (Debugging ON/OFF, etc.)

Are we the only two people experiencing this?

George

dklue

Mar 22, 2012
Anderson
File transfers

Hi,
I was having the same problems, then gave up and fully charged it,
the next day I adb'd the same blob file and it did it in 5 min, the
night before when it was about a quarter charged it was taking a half
hour and would fail. I had it in CWM recovery. So try fully charging it, I have
also had better luck on a xp machine, then my win7 machine.

tsmt971@yahoo

Oct 2, 2007
I had the same problem on .21 not unlocked nor rooted.

I did full wipe data after upgrading to .21 then connected as MTP and copied files successfully. Hope this help.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

xn1337

Apr 4, 2012
Bribie Island
not to put you off trying to use usb, i had the same issue transferring 5GB from the prime to PC.

i found using Total Commander 1.0 rc5 for Android with the network addon i could transfer it faster via wireless (only due to the poor performance i had with usb)
so just share the content and drag it across the wifi.

Total commander *www*.*ghisler*.*com/android.htm
Plugins *ghisler*.*com*/androidplugins/
(remove the *, i cant post links yet :( )

one thing you could try if you haven't is plug it into one of the ports on the back of your computer instead of the front/top/side, sometimes these ports are under powered.

Reactions: Lord_Possum

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    not to put you off trying to use usb, i had the same issue transferring 5GB from the prime to PC.

i found using Total Commander 1.0 rc5 for Android with the network addon i could transfer it faster via wireless (only due to the poor performance i had with usb)
    so just share the content and drag it across the wifi.

Total commander *www*.*ghisler*.*com/android.htm
    Plugins *ghisler*.*com*/androidplugins/
    (remove the *, i cant post links yet :( )

one thing you could try if you haven't is plug it into one of the ports on the back of your computer instead of the front/top/side, sometimes these ports are under powered.