[HOW TO] ROOT HTC RUBY / AMAZE 4G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Nickdroid86

May 22, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yes, I downloaded the 3 things it asked for on the htcdev site. Java, htc sync, and the sdk. Everything is in the folders ready to go, but the driver fails installing when I hook my phone to it, I tried uninstalling, re installing, on fastboot, bootloader, with the phone on and charging, usb mode, htc sync mode, and nothing. The CMD prompt just sits there waiting on the phone.

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 AM ----------

When I go to the HTCDev site and select the model, which the Amaze isn't available, I just click and download the HTC sync link below the picture to the right without having to pick a phone, is that correct, because that's what I've been doing.

G

glacierguy

Turn on USB debugging... And give a little :eek:.......... :D

And this is the menu at htcdev that u need to start at

4b486f3f-3b38-4575.jpg

All these girls excited Oooo ya know they like it I'm so icy, so icy Girl don't try to fight it All yo friends invited I'm so icy, so icy

Last edited:

pavoid

Mar 7, 2012
Houston
Just making sure

I'm in the "Unlock Bootloader" segment. After downloading the SDK files the HTC site goes off onto a long trail of "dl Eclipse" "dl JDK" "run SDK installer".

Looking at the tutorial it looks like you just dl the 3 main files and then next thing you know your removing the battery and going into boot mode.

Am I suppose to veer off into this HTC "Eclipse, JDK" tangent?

Or is it not a tangent at all and this is really all that involved?

I have no experience with this so I am asking to clarify for obvious reasons.

Thank you for your help! :)

G

glacierguy

Wow idk where to start.

First and foremost, make sure you have installed SDK manager and the HTC drivers. Sorry, I don't have a link for that.

Then on HTC dev, it walks you through unlocking bootloader for amaze. The instructions are rather clear there.

If its that difficult and u don't have time to learn what you're doing, I wouldn't do it. If u feel u must, then use Hasoon2000's All in One toolkit man.

All these girls excited Oooo ya know they like it I'm so icy, so icy Girl don't try to fight it All yo friends invited I'm so icy, so icy

Nickdroid86

May 22, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
adb debugging, or usb debugging? I have usb debugging set.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

Also it's still not recognizing the drivers when I plug my phone in and it installs.

---------- Post added 28th April 2012 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 27th April 2012 at 11:36 PM ----------

It says "no driver found" So I keep uninstalling it through computer>properties>device manager, when I plug the phone to the computer it says installing drivers: Android phone. it fails every time, and shows up as android 1.0 in my device manager. I have all the prerequisites installed. I've done this a hundred times on different phones, I don't get it.

Last edited:
G

glacierguy

Sorry I meant USB debugging.

Mount your phone as a disk drive and see if that prompts any more driver installations. You don't have all drivers installed if you're computer isn't recognizing your device. Type "adb devices" in command prompt. You should see your seriel number show up.

Do a search for HTC drivers and SDK

That's all I got

All these girls excited Oooo ya know they like it I'm so icy, so icy

Last edited:

Jaimesco12

Apr 28, 2012
stuck

i did everything 100% correctly i went into custom recovery and installed energy 4/27/12 then i just get the htc logo with no boot :confused:

G

glacierguy

i did everything 100% correctly i went into custom recovery and installed energy 4/27/12 then i just get the htc logo with no boot :confused:

Try again using 4ext. Make sure you format all partitions except sd from recovery wipe menu, then try again

Jaimesco12

Apr 28, 2012
what is 4ext and how do i get it, i knoe that noobs are probally a pain in your a** but i really need help fixing this

G

glacierguy

what is 4ext and how do i get it, i knoe that noobs are probally a pain in your a** but i really need help fixing this

Search Market/playstore for 4ext. Then flash the recovery from the app. There's a thread in dev section

Jaimesco12

Apr 28, 2012
hey thanks man i didnt try that method but i installed a different rom and it worked the fourth bar 3.0 is this good for gaming?

G

glacierguy

I have USB debugging checked, I moved it as a mass drive and it installed other drivers but the Android phone driver still fails everytime.

Uncheck and recheck debugging... I wanna say that's how I did it one time before. I had same problem with mt4g when I was rooting. Fingers crossed

Jaimesco12

Apr 28, 2012
Hey I'm here again lol I keep getting an error when I turn on wifi it doesn't let me turn it on

G

glacierguy

Hey I'm here again lol I keep getting an error when I turn on wifi it doesn't let me turn it on

I'm done helping noobs that are too lazy to search how to fix one of the most common FAQs of this device. People aren't even trying to learn anymore. Its ridiculous that we have to hold people's hands through this. Learn on your own by reading or stay stock. Smh :banghead:

I will continue supporting 4ext thread, but that's it. A wise man predicted weeks ago via pm to me that this would happen. Rule #1 of xda... Search before posting. But why would I think anyone would read the rules. If I was a mod I'd be serving temp bans all day. I'm no longer checking this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a very simple device to root.

However if you root this device it will likely void your warranty.

There is no current method of obtaining S-OFF, so don't ask!

Requirements:
    • PC
    • Phone
    • USB Cable
    • External SDCARD (optional but highly recommended)
    • Internet Connection
    • HTC Drivers
    • Battery with a charge of over 50%
    • Ability to read
    • Ability to follow directions
    • Then you must view the following video!

If you meet these requirements then proceed to post #2.
    If you followed the instructions like you were supposed to you should be fully rooted and unlocked the full potential of your HTC Amaze 4G phone.

Feel free to post your questions and comments here in this thread.

PLEASE! don't send me private messages asking for help. I just spent two hours making this as simple as I could to save me from all of the help requests. If you have problems then post in this thread and make sure to reference the step that you're having issues with.
    Example:
    Problem with Step #1 I can't follow directions. Someone do it for me. I'll be willing to pay $10,000,000 to have root.

Then I'm sure you will get plenty of help.

Remember to hit the thanks button to show your appreciation. ;)
    Step #4 - ROOTING!

Now that you have your custom recovery installed it's time to flash root onto your phone.

Download a custom rom from the Development section or the HTC Amaze ROM Bible and store the zip onto your external sdcard.
    If you do not want a custom rom but just want root simply download the attached Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip file.
    If you do not have an external sdcard then store it onto your internal sdcard.
    The custom recovery from step #3 will default to an external sdcard if it's detected.
    If the custom recovery from step #3 does not detect an external sdcard then it should default to your internal.

Now there are a couple different ways to reboot to recovery. The best way is to open the command prompt up and navigate to either directories from posts 1 or 2 that contains the adb.exe file.
    For example this is from post #2.

If you stored it to your desktop directory then it would be something like:
    C:\Users\Binary100100\Desktop\RecoveryInstallerForNoobs
    so you may have to enter:
    cd Desktop\RecoveryInstallerForNoobs

Now enter "dir" into the command prompt and press Enter and you should see something like:
    c:\Users\Binary100100\Desktop\RecoveryInstallerForNoobs>dir
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 4850-996B

Directory of c:\Users\Binary100100\Desktop\RecoveryInstallerForNoobs

01/03/2012 05:04 PM <DIR> .
    01/03/2012 05:04 PM <DIR> ..
    11/08/2011 02:50 PM 366,661 adb
    11/08/2011 02:50 PM 410,942 adb.exe
    11/08/2011 02:50 PM 96,256 AdbWinApi.dll
    11/08/2011 02:50 PM 60,928 AdbWinUsbApi.dll
    11/08/2011 02:50 PM 127,435 fastboot
    11/08/2011 02:50 PM 356,009 fastboot.exe
    12/27/2011 12:37 AM 128 Flash.bat
    12/27/2011 12:32 AM 5,187,584 recovery-cwm-ruby-5.0.2.7.img
    8 File(s) 6,605,943 bytes

As long as you see adb, adb.exe, adbWinApi.dl and AdbWinUsbApi.dll you should be good to go.

Now without leaving the command prompt enter:
    adb reboot recovery

Your phone should reboot and you should be looking at your recovery.
    If for whatever reason you couldn't get access to recovery then go back to bootloader mode.
    Remove the battery and put it back in. This is to make sure the device is completely powered off. Hold the Volume Down button while pressing power to get back to hboot mode. Just like step #1. Now if you don't see Recovery in the list then select BOOTLOADER. You should now see RECOVERY. Select that and your phone should reboot to recovery from there. Now that I know you're in recovery... let's move on.

From here you can flash your custom rom or root files.

Use the volume rocker buttons to move the highlight up and down the menu and highlight "Install zip from sdcard" then press the power button to select.
    Now "choose zip from sdcard" then press power button again.
    Highlight the downloaded custom rom or the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zipfile and press power again. From here I think you have the idea.
    Select the appropriate zip file and press the power button to install.
    Now you can go back and then select "reboot system now" and let your device boot up.

Check the app drawer and make sure you have an app called SuperUser. If you have this app then you now have root. ;)
    Step #3 - Installing Custom Recovery

Now that you have unlocked your bootloader you can now obtain root.
    The easiest way to do this would be by installing a custom recovery.

I created a simple bat script that should update your recovery for you.

Boot up your phone and connect it to your computer by usb cable.

Go to Settings --> Applications --> Development.
    Check USB debugging.

Unzip the attached file and run the Flash.bat file as Administrator.

Your phone should reboot and go to a white screen.
    It should update the recovery for you automatically and reboot.

Now you should have yourself a custom recovery. :)

If by chance you decide that you would like to revert to the custom recovery then use the same technique with the STOCK_RECOVERY_FLASHER.zip file.

If a .bat script isn't your thing then try this thread: [TOOL] HTC Amaze 4G All-In-One Toolkit by Hasoon2000
    Step #2 - Unlocking your bootloader

Copied from this thread by Revolution

Go to HTCDev.com
    Make a account , here then go to this link and follow all instruction's , but make sure you go to this link , it don't show us as a supported device but this work's for all device's me & crackeyes have tried this .
    Go to this link after that : here , follow all the step's , below will be my version .

1) Remove and reinsert the battery.
    Unlock_1b.png

2) Press Volume Down and Power to start the device into Bootloader mode.
    Unlock_2.png

3) Use the Volume buttons to select up or down. Highlight Fastboot and press the Power button.
    Unlock_3b.png

4) Connect the device to the computer via a usb cable
    Unlock_4.png

5) Make a folder in c:\ called Android & then input the file's from your android SDK their , such as
    adb.exe
    AdbWinApi.dll
    fastboot.exe
    step5.png

6) Open up command prompt. ( Start > Run > Type CMD,). The window that appears is called Command Prompt.
    step6.png

7) Navigate to where you unzipped the ZIP file and go to the folder you just created (For Example: If you created the folder in C:\Android, then you would type in Command Prompt: cd c:\Android).

8) Type in Command Prompt: fastboot oem get_identifier_token.
    step8.png

9) You will see a long block of text. Copy and paste this text into the the token field below (in the command prompt: Right Click > Mark > highlight the block of text > Right click to copy).
    pict_6a.png

10) Paste this string of text into the token field and hit Submit in order to receive your unlock code binary file. You will receive this information in your email.

Example:
    pict7.png

11) On the bottom of http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-3 , please input your result's & if it say's failed keep on trying & it will go threw .

Straight from HTCDev.com , & NOTE : THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRENTY
    You are about to start the process of unlocking your device. Unlocking your device allows you to install custom Operating Systems (“OS”) onto your device. Custom OS’s are not tested as thoroughly as your original OS, and unlocking your device may void all or parts of your warranty. HTC disclaims any and all liability for proper functioning of your device after the bootloader has been unlocked and for data lost in the unlocking process. To prevent unauthorized access to your data, unlocking the bootloader will delete all personal data from your device including applications, text messages and personalized settings.

Once you have unlocked your bootloader you can make changes to your /system partition.
    The majority of you will probably never need to do this. This is because most developers use flashable zip files that will do everything for you. These files are flashed from Recovery Mode.
    Let's move on to step #3