OTA to 2.22 firmware

Search This thread

Billchen0014

Oct 1, 2011
Melbourne
What is the best way to get the firmware update without losing root and have to do all those things all over again? I know SunShine, but I don't think my parents would allow it.

stathis95194

Oct 15, 2008
Nicosia
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Reactions: Billchen0014

Billchen0014

Oct 1, 2011
Melbourne
return to stock and wait for the official OTA

You don't lose root. You can restore a stock nandroid backup for your cid and the stock recovery and be prepared for the OTA.

You can find stock backups and recoveries here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

i can't find one for this device... :(

here's the getvar outputs

(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B11000
(bootloader) cidnum: VODAP021
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 0a41237a
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.012s

stathis95194

Oct 15, 2008
Nicosia
Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra
Xiaomi 13 Pro

Of course there is...check the link above again.

CID VODAP021

1.12.710.17 - CWM Philz touch Thanks to rolphez

STOCK RECOVERY 1.12.710.17

Billchen0014

Oct 1, 2011
Melbourne

CID VODAP021

I hate how HTC handles these things... Jumping from a Nexus this is like a nightmare :D

So The file you suggested is just a ROM right? and the recovery has nothing to do with CIDs? So any recovery with the same version number will do?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
it does mean i will lose root and will have to get root again, right? and I don't know how to get back to the stock rom either... bummer

Based on your post count, device history, and amount of time you've been on XDA, I find it surprising you don't know how, or can't figure out how to return to the stock ROM.

Not trying to be mean, but restoring a nandroid and stock recovery are not difficult things, basic concepts and steps, really. Maybe just take a little time to wrap your mind around the concepts, and you might feel more comfortable about them. If these things are over your head, you certainly shouldn't mess with S-off and flashing firmware.

And re-rooting after an OTA should take about 5 or 10 minutes, so I don't see much reason for concern. Just re-install custom recovery and flash SU/SuperSU or a rooted ROM.

Last edited:

Billchen0014

Oct 1, 2011
Melbourne
Based on your post count, device history, and amount of time you've been on XDA, I find it surprising you don't know how, or can't figure out how to return to the stock ROM.

Not trying to be mean, but restoring a nandroid and stock recovery are not difficult things, basic concepts and steps, really. Maybe just take a little time to wrap your mind around the concepts, and you might feel more comfortable about them. If these things are over your head, you certainly shouldn't mess with S-off and flashing firmware.

And re-rooting after an OTA should take about 5 or 10 minutes, so I don't see much reason for concern. Just re-install custom recovery and flash SU/SuperSU or a rooted ROM.

This is my first HTC device and the stock Rom nandroid for my Cid isn't twrp compatible and cwm is doing what I already it to do. That's problem one, I have never seen such messy system to return to stock, CIDs and all this rubbish. And I swear for all these years I've never had to flash a firmware in order to flash a Rom, and heck, even pay to have full rights over my device (sunshine) I'd say HTC is the least friendly phone I've used by far when it comes to flashing custom roms

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
This is my first HTC device and the stock Rom nandroid for my Cid isn't twrp compatible and cwm is doing what I already it to do. That's problem one, I have never seen such messy system to return to stock, CIDs and all this rubbish. And I swear for all these years I've never had to flash a firmware in order to flash a Rom, and heck, even pay to have full rights over my device (sunshine) I'd say HTC is the least friendly phone I've used by far when it comes to flashing custom roms

Nexus is made for easy unlocking etc.

HTC is reasonably good in this regard, IMO, having dealt with some 30 phones over 3 years for testing my apps.

HTC has bootloader unlock program. LG has nothing like that (Although allegedly considering it). I hate my G2 for that reason.

I've never directly dealt with Samsungs' KNOX, but that creates major headaches too.

We are lucky to have ANY S-Off solution.

We are also lucky to have so much enthusiast & ROM dev interest in the M8. Some of the forums here on XDA are barren.

Reactions: The Fer-Shiz-Nizzle

Billchen0014

Oct 1, 2011
Melbourne
Phew, used firewater and flashed the new firmware. painless for the most part after SuperCID and thanks XDA again for this wonderful crowd. proud to be part of this great community. this is going to be an exiting weekend!

cheers

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Phew, used firewater and flashed the new firmware.

You've spent all this time complaining about sunshine, when you could have just used firewater??? Why didn't you try it in the first place?

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

And I swear for all these years I've never had to flash a firmware in order to flash a Rom, and heck, even pay to have full rights over my device (sunshine) I'd say HTC is the least friendly phone I've used by far when it comes to flashing custom roms

Pay for sunshine is the developer's choice, and has nothing to do with HTC. For all we know, developers can choose to charge money for any root solution on any device, if they want.

Complaining is not going to accomplish anything except piss off folks who enjoy this device (which is most folks here). Aside from the sunshine fee, all the concepts and steps that you seem to have trouble with are very basic. If you can't understand and accomplish them, you shouldn't be rooting your phone in the first place.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    it does mean i will lose root and will have to get root again, right? and I don't know how to get back to the stock rom either... bummer

You don't lose root. You can restore a stock nandroid backup for your cid and the stock recovery and be prepared for the OTA.

You can find stock backups and recoveries here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2701376

CID VODAP021

First file is the stock ROM for your cid.
    Second is the stock recovery for your CID. After you flash those 2 you will be ready to receive an OTA when your carrier release it.

Nexus is made for easy unlocking etc.

HTC is reasonably good in this regard, IMO, having dealt with some 30 phones over 3 years for testing my apps.

HTC has bootloader unlock program. LG has nothing like that (Although allegedly considering it). I hate my G2 for that reason.

I've never directly dealt with Samsungs' KNOX, but that creates major headaches too.

We are lucky to have ANY S-Off solution.

We are also lucky to have so much enthusiast & ROM dev interest in the M8. Some of the forums here on XDA are barren.