[Q] Slow(er) FireTV

Search This thread

hisnawi

Aug 26, 2014
Greetings,
My couzin and I both bought FireTVs around the same time.
He bought his from Amazon directly where I got mine from Staples.
I have been noticing that his FireTV is smoother and run faster specially when using XBMC. The channels cache better and get accessed faster.

I wonder if there are different "Hardware" versions of the device and the ones from amazon are the newer updated versions.
We run the same Firmware also.
The only difference is that his TV is 42" and mine is 56". Would driving a bigger screen and higher resolution slow the device?

I also checked the "system info" from inside XBMC and found that we both usually have half the 2G memory free.
We also have the same XBMC version "Gotham 13.2".

Are there any benchmark apps I could run on both devices to verify any difference in speed?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Volc7

Jun 6, 2013
Greetings,
My couzin and I both bought FireTVs around the same time.
He bought his from Amazon directly where I got mine from Staples.
I have been noticing that his FireTV is smoother and run faster specially when using XBMC. The channels cache better and get accessed faster.

I wonder if there are different "Hardware" versions of the device and the ones from amazon are the newer updated versions.
We run the same Firmware also.
The only difference is that his TV is 42" and mine is 56". Would driving a bigger screen and higher resolution slow the device?

I also checked the "system info" from inside XBMC and found that we both usually have half the 2G memory free.
We also have the same XBMC version "Gotham 13.2".

Are there any benchmark apps I could run on both devices to verify any difference in speed?

Any help is highly appreciated.

i can only think of his tv being 720p. lower resolution is faster. but i run it at 1080p and do not notice anything slow.

you could try Antutu benchmark but that needs a mouse i believe

hisnawi

Aug 26, 2014
You are correct. His TV is indeed 720 and mine is 1080. But could it be that?
Can I change the resolution of mye FireTV and match his 720 just to test it out?

Also, How do I get this benchmark and run it? Is it like an App that I can side load?
I have bluetooth mouse that I can hook to the FireTV that is not a problem.

mcsephoenix

Dec 17, 2011
You should transfer the video file over to the firetv first and then play it otherwise you would have to have them on the same network to really do any accurate testing.

hisnawi

Aug 26, 2014
It is actually a video add-on that I notice the difference in performance with, it streams over the network from their servers.

I ran Antutu benchmark and came up to 24950 on my FireTV.
I will run it on his and report the results.

Also, it was brought up in the first response that driving 1080P TV could have an effect on performance vs driving 720P.
This could be true, but I am skeptical to the fact that running the benchmark with the TV "OFF" would change the test results.

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia
It is actually a video add-on that I notice the difference in performance with, it streams over the network from their servers.

I ran Antutu benchmark and came up to 24950 on my FireTV.
I will run it on his and report the results.

Also, it was brought up in the first response that driving 1080P TV could have an effect on performance vs driving 720P.
This could be true, but I am skeptical to the fact that running the benchmark with the TV "OFF" would change the test results.

caching the channel info and accessing the videos quicker over the internet would probably indicate your cousin has a faster connection than you do. are you seeing lower FPS in videos ? that could be XBMC codec issues. sometimes they seem to be borky regardless of how you have them set in the settings.

your antutu score is pretty on par with normal.. so i dont think theres anything wrong with the FTV itself.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
You are correct. His TV is indeed 720 and mine is 1080. But could it be that?
Can I change the resolution of mye FireTV and match his 720 just to test it out?

I would expect that a 720 picture would be faster than a 1080 picture for many things that the system is doing.

You have about half as many pixels to draw per frame - the number of pixels on a 720 set = 1,049,088 and on a 1080 set = 2,073,600 so if the GPU is at or above performance limited on a task at 1080, it shouldn't be at 720.

nhumber

Apr 26, 2014
Sarnia
I would expect that a 720 picture would be faster than a 1080 picture for many things that the system is doing.

You have about half as many pixels to draw per frame - the number of pixels on a 720 set = 1,049,088 and on a 1080 set = 2,073,600 so if the GPU is at or above performance limited on a task at 1080, it shouldn't be at 720.

running anutu at both those resolutions results in the same score give or take so im pretty sure the issue here is network speed/latency or XBMC codec issues. playing back full a bluray mux done at 48 fps of frozen drops frames in a few areas of the movie due to the complexity of the scene.. i just tested the same sections of the movie (when elsa builds the ice bridge - LOL) and regardless of resolution i see the same FPS drop, while i agree 720P rendering is obviously less CPU/GPU intense, i dont think thats the OP issue.

you could always just drop your ftv to 720P and see if you notice a performance difference also.

Last edited:

Volc7

Jun 6, 2013
running anutu at both those resolutions results in the same score give or take so im pretty sure the issue here is network speed/latency or XBMC codec issues. playing back full a bluray mux done at 48 fps of frozen drops frames in a few areas of the movie due to the complexity of the scene.. i just tested the same sections of the movie (when elsa builds the ice bridge - LOL) and regardless of resolution i see the same FPS drop, while i agree 720P rendering is obviously less CPU/GPU intense, i dont think thats the OP issue.

you could always just drop your ftv to 720P and see if you notice a performance difference also.

agree with everyone , i dont think its the firetv, its either xbmc or your connection