Anyone trying Windows 8?

Search This thread

|| Acer ||

Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
Kind of off topic, but I'm just curious to know if anyone's tried out the Windows 8 developer preview. I'm trying it right now, and it's honestly not that bad. Some things still need work, but it's definitely something I could get use to.

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
I thew it on my 4 year old cheap laptop and after figuring out how to navigate the start menu I really like how fast it is. Only problem is I can't seem to be able to install .net framework, hence phonemypc won't work (I wanted to test drive metro ui on my epic since its touchscreen optimized) I'm gonna keep it on my laptop until the beta expires but I'm sad to say that I want a windows 8 tablet waaaaay more than even an ice cream tablet.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

mooshubob

Oct 4, 2010
Yeah I'm using it on a partition on my brand-new laptop. I really like it actually!

Metro UI is a bit to get used to, but I love using the touchpad multi-touch controls to navigate from panel-mode to the standard desktop, bootup is much faster, and I can share files fine between my regular Win7 partition and the Windows 8 partition.

@xopher.hunter, I had an issue with .NET 3.5, but it installed fine after a restart. YMMV...

I bought a Touchpad during the fire sale, and have yet to receive it from HP Small Business (have to wait for the last production run), but I wanna put Win8 on it when the ARM build gets out.

Reactions: 816jared

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010
Im waiting for a windows 8 tablet to come out

I do NOT like the UI for desktops :/

WIndows 7 for my PC, windows 8 for tablet.

fk yeah.

Microsoft killed all of my interest in an android tablet when they revealed the metro ui windows 8. PERFECT TABLET OS (atleast based on what ive seen, it has all the right things.)

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

actually...i just remembered in a previous video they didnt have metro ui on and it looked like windows 7...so i might just give it a shot if i can take the skin off..

Also, what's phonemypc? Remote desktop thing for the epic im guessing?

Jul 26, 2011
greenville
Lol you mean android prpo lol you dont get win took the source code rewrote it pstent it and you would fund that lol

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

xopher.hunter

Mar 21, 2011
Ventura
Also, what's phonemypc? Remote desktop thing for the epic im guessing?

Its this 10 dollar app in the market, yes it is a remote desktop client but very well done and very simple to set up. Its a freaking life saver if you forget something on your computer.

I still haven't been able to install .net 3.5.1, I even dl'd the standalone but it still wanted to use microsoft update to install, and I rebooted it too. Oh well this is why I put this on my old ass laptop. Runs like a champ though only on 1.86ghz and 1.5gb of ram it seems ready for tablets alredy.

ugothakd

Jun 12, 2011
O 'Fallon, MO
I personally am hating the metro ui...its to hard to navigate. It's too big of a step. To me, its clunky. People were afraid of vista because of the glossy difference from xp, this is like 100x worse.

|| Acer ||

Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
I personally am hating the metro ui...its to hard to navigate. It's too big of a step. To me, its clunky. People were afraid of vista because of the glossy difference from xp, this is like 100x worse.

I find it too bland. (still wonder if I can change the green background to another color...)

Idk, I agree it's too tablet-like, but I like how everything is together.
Definitely doesn't make sense for a computer though.

I feel like we're going backwards a bit since we're basing computer UI off of mobile UIs which are meant to be more compact.

Even in OS X Lion, they had the "Launchpad" feature where it looked exactly like you were on an iPad.

Why do companies think people like this?

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
I find it too bland. (still wonder if I can change the green background to another color...)

I feel like we're going backwards a bit since we're basing computer UI off of mobile UIs which are meant to be more compact.

Even in OS X Lion, they had the "Launchpad" feature where it looked exactly like you were on an iPad.

Idk. Maybe because they think it looks better than just a plain list, but now they're more interested in eye candy than functionality. Why can't we have both.

On the other topic, I would like to try windows 8, but it's not really useful for me since I have a 1024x600 netbook, so Metro Apps don't work. I've tried the hack that makes resolution higher on Windows 7, but it looks horrible with that.

R3537L1F3

Jun 17, 2011
Orlando
my question is the lifehacker site says you need to burn a dvd or use a thumbdrive, can I also use a SD card? (don't want to waste a DVD and have no RWs at the moment)

Also will doing this erase everything on Win 7? I dual booted Ubuntu once and it didn't but LifeHacker says something about formmating the drive

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis
my question is the lifehacker site says you need to burn a dvd or use a thumbdrive, can I also use a SD card? (don't want to waste a DVD and have no RWs at the moment)

Also will doing this erase everything on Win 7? I dual booted Ubuntu once and it didn't but LifeHacker says something about formmating the drive
Will not erase everything as long as you boot to dvd or usb (I don't think SD cards are bootable). You don't need to format, you need to partition (which is like grouping your hard drive, with one group for windows 7 and one for windows 8)

Reactions: R3537L1F3

readingkeeper

Nov 26, 2010
Hoth

But you never actually have to use Launchpad, and its quite nice to find an app quickly without spotlight.

Sent from my CM7-ified Evo 3D

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kind of off topic, but I'm just curious to know if anyone's tried out the Windows 8 developer preview. I'm trying it right now, and it's honestly not that bad. Some things still need work, but it's definitely something I could get use to.
    Yeah I'm using it on a partition on my brand-new laptop. I really like it actually!

Metro UI is a bit to get used to, but I love using the touchpad multi-touch controls to navigate from panel-mode to the standard desktop, bootup is much faster, and I can share files fine between my regular Win7 partition and the Windows 8 partition.

@xopher.hunter, I had an issue with .NET 3.5, but it installed fine after a restart. YMMV...

I bought a Touchpad during the fire sale, and have yet to receive it from HP Small Business (have to wait for the last production run), but I wanna put Win8 on it when the ARM build gets out.

Will not erase everything as long as you boot to dvd or usb (I don't think SD cards are bootable). You don't need to format, you need to partition (which is like grouping your hard drive, with one group for windows 7 and one for windows 8)
    But what's funny is my uncle can navigate it no problem but throw him on a pc and he might as well be a monkey.
    Aren't all Mac users monkeys? j/k

=]
    Windows 8 with the metro ui on a full laptop or desktop without touch is useless to me.... The only thing it may be good for is peeps who have a hard time using a computer.
    Been using win8 for a little while now dual booted on my laptop with windows 7. I tried to use the ui for about three days and could not take it any longer. I edited the reg to turn it off permently.
    My windows 7 boots in about 20 sec on a ocz ssd and win8 is about 16 sec but I really haven't put anything on win8 yet so that might change. Oh and that is booted to a usable desktop. All in all works good for a prerelease. Much will probally change before the beta though. A lot of programs I have will not run on it but work fine on win7. Something has change with hardware graphics acceleration and programs for editing don't play well with it.
    Looks good for use on a tablet but imo metro ui on for tab and off for full desktop