Considering a xoom, still a good option?

Search This thread

jason4656

Sep 29, 2009
have been looking round for a tab, while the transformer prime seems best its now almost double the cost of the xoom, even though the xoom is quite old, it seems anything else around is still tegra2 or dual core similar spec hardware to the xoom, so i dont see any point apart from the weight in getting anything newer or more expensive, is it still a good option guys? you can get one for around £260 in the UK where as the transformer prime would be £499 and the original transformer maybe £350

i just returned a scroll extreme as it was just soooooooooooooo laggy!! i dont want anything with huge lag like that again

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
have been looking round for a tab, while the transformer prime seems best its now almost double the cost of the xoom, even though the xoom is quite old, it seems anything else around is still tegra2 or dual core similar spec hardware to the xoom, so i dont see any point apart from the weight in getting anything newer or more expensive, is it still a good option guys? you can get one for around £260 in the UK where as the transformer prime would be £499 and the original transformer maybe £350

i just returned a scroll extreme as it was just soooooooooooooo laggy!! i dont want anything with huge lag like that again
So I'm the first to respond...the original Xoom is a wonderful device and is even better now than it was when it was new because it has ICS official update, and best of all, the most fantastic developers and real bleeding-edge advances in Xoom software. It's so well built and sturdy that the bit of additional weight doesn't matter. In my opinion the Xoom is still the best tablet available, as everything works well and there's tons of additional functionality with custom roms.

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
The xoom is built like a tank and with it's specs what else out there is better for the money. I have two of them and the last one I picked up for $315 U.S.

luke1333

Aug 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Picked up 32 gb wifi only xoom a few months back with original box and 5 cases (4 still sealed) for $275 off craigslist. Didn't think it was too bad and I'll be keeping xoom for awhile

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

jason4656

Sep 29, 2009
This late? I wouldn't buy the xoom today at its current price.

the only thing i can see maybe 'better' for the money is the asus transformer 101 maybe just because its a little lighter and can be expanded with the kb if need be, also the connectivity looks a little better placed, and its just as supposed with roms and people using it. These are both £290 ish in the UK?

i mean the xoom 2 is a little more expensive but for that lighter slimmer body you lose the expansion slow, sure you can use the usb host but i dont like that idea, would prefer an expansion slot, the galaxy tab just seem out there with the price, then you have the acer a200 which ones again is similar so im thinking the original xoom or asus transformer in this price bracket is the best option...

matt4321

Retired Senior Moderator - The Real Matt
Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
I only got my Xoom about 3 weeks ago, £280 from PC world. Been an android guy for a year now so did my research to see what the community support was like. Noticed that we're getting official CM9 support, that made the deal even sweeter. Still team EOS provide excellent support on AOSP builds. Even in terms of specs, great screen, great processor, can be overclocked (and stable). In my opinion this is still a great buy!

adil_

Jun 14, 2011
Bagalkot
I too want to buy a tablet. But I'm confused between xoom, galaxy tab 10.1 and transformer TF101.
So what do you guys suggest?
My requirements are, good support by Dev community and which wont brick easily...
Thanks..

Peace.

PAinTheHouse

Feb 2, 2006
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Hi I just picked up a Motorola Xoom WiFi 32GB via a pricerunner.co.uk search. This got me a £5 discount making the delivered price just under £245. I tried to upgrade to ICE/Android 4.0, but managed to “Brick” the device …so be warned and be patient.
Fortunately I manage to resolve this issue with the help of some XDA forum links, YouTube and Motorola site itself. I will try and write up the details of my problem and solution in another thread.
I am now back to the original Android 3.2 version and so far I am very happy the XOOM.

matt4321

Retired Senior Moderator - The Real Matt
Dec 20, 2011
Reading, UK
I too want to buy a tablet. But I'm confused between xoom, galaxy tab 10.1 and transformer TF101.
My requirements are, good support by Dev community and which wont brick easily...
Thanks..

Peace.

the Xoom has great community support and as far as I know the galaxy tab 10.1 does too because that was another option of mine and community support is a big factor when I buy a new product both I believe are getting official CM9 support. i can't speak for the TF101,I don't know much about that one

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
Thanks..

Peace.

I have all three and the best will be the one you can find at the best price. All three are near similar hardware with each having an advantage/disadvantage to the others.

Community/Dev support I would have to say the Xoom wins though...as well as being difficult to brick. Google "Experience" device really makes the Xoom a great device.

(I use the Xoom, my wife is using the Transformer and I gave my mother the Galaxy Tab).

Reactions: adil_

rubber guard

Aug 22, 2010
Austin
in my opinion, its the best tablet for the cost.

main cons are weight and potentially out of date hardware. that hasn't stopped it from being the first official device to receive 4.0.4

would love if i could get a 2nd one as backup.

HD dock is wonderful. it even works with my otterbox.

jophil2412

Jan 11, 2012
Bad Sassendorf
I do have a Xoom either and I think it's a good choice and you won't regret buying it. It isn't expensive for its quality and it runs very well and smoothly especially with CM9 ICS.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium HD app

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
the only thing i can see maybe 'better' for the money is the asus transformer 101 maybe just because its a little lighter and can be expanded with the kb if need be, also the connectivity looks a little better placed, and its just as supposed with roms and people using it. These are both £290 ish in the UK?

i mean the xoom 2 is a little more expensive but for that lighter slimmer body you lose the expansion slow, sure you can use the usb host but i dont like that idea, would prefer an expansion slot, the galaxy tab just seem out there with the price, then you have the acer a200 which ones again is similar so im thinking the original xoom or asus transformer in this price bracket is the best option...
Actually, the Xoom has a better frame rate than the Transformer 101. You could search for the thread that proves it somewhere here in General or Q&A (sometime last summer?).

-ix-

Oct 26, 2011
If you can find one for a good price I think it's a no-brainer. Great build quality and great active devs on XDa. What more could you possibly ask for? :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

adil_

Jun 14, 2011
Bagalkot
Actually xoom is not availiable online right now and the one availiable in stores is a 3g model which is out of my range. So I was thinking about buying galaxy tab..
So what do you guys suggest? Should I go for the tab or spend some extra bucks on xoom?
I really can't decide.. coz both of them almost same...

Peace.

rvbarton

Jan 19, 2009
Euless, Texas
www.facebook.com
Actually xoom is not availiable online right now and the one availiable in stores is a 3g model which is out of my range. So I was thinking about buying galaxy tab..
So what do you guys suggest? Should I go for the tab or spend some extra bucks on xoom?

Peace.

check craigslist in your area, or look on ebay. do your research and you are sure to find a great deal!

Tiger62651

Jul 28, 2007
Westminster
I've had Xoom since almost release day. Wifi at start and chose it over the galaxy tab just cause it felt more rugged. Tab was nice but felt cheep. Haven't regretted it one bit. Now I own 2 xooms, wifi and 4g, wifi one my son mainly uses. Got my 3g/4g on Craigslist for 400, came dock, leather case and original box.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I agree, good choice. I bought the WiFi Version the day it came out and have no need for another Tablet. ICS gave my Xoom new life. It's fast and butter smooth. I am running stock and it good enough for me. If you want to delete Files off your SDCard get SDCardXD ($1.49), definitely worth the price.
    Thanks..

Peace.

I have all three and the best will be the one you can find at the best price. All three are near similar hardware with each having an advantage/disadvantage to the others.

Community/Dev support I would have to say the Xoom wins though...as well as being difficult to brick. Google "Experience" device really makes the Xoom a great device.

(I use the Xoom, my wife is using the Transformer and I gave my mother the Galaxy Tab).
    in my opinion, its the best tablet for the cost.

main cons are weight and potentially out of date hardware. that hasn't stopped it from being the first official device to receive 4.0.4

would love if i could get a 2nd one as backup.

HD dock is wonderful. it even works with my otterbox.

Peace.

check craigslist in your area, or look on ebay. do your research and you are sure to find a great deal!
    based on your guys opinions here and elsewhere, i ordered the xoom and should have it in my hands tomorrow. really excited about this device! i even changed my sig already :D

I think you'll be Happy...got one three weeks ago for 300.00 and it was the best
    300.00 I spent in a while...the main reason for me buying the Xoom was the
    great DEV support that comes with it...hope you enjoy yours