Kernel discussions

Search This thread

flameinthefire

Feb 26, 2008
I think stock kernel is the best. Every kernel I tried had some kind of lag at some point. Now I am back to the stock kernel and it is smooth as butter. Google got it right the first time. How is it for you guys ?
Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Rxpert

Sep 12, 2011
Its very early in kernel development.

Give the devs some time

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

riggs170

Dec 14, 2011
Indianapolis
I think stock kernel is the best. Every kernel I tried had some kind of lag at some point. Now I am back to the stock kernel and it is smooth as butter. Google got it right the first time. How is it for you guys ?

I am running Franco r14 smooth as butter. I would try using Nova launcher, I do agree with you that the GEL launcher is a bit laggy on custom kernels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lwfb

Dec 21, 2010
Houston, TX
I love Trinity kernel, I've been using it for two years on my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Nexus 4 and now Nexus 5.

B11 on the stock ROM (odexed and rooted with ART enabled) is sleeping better than the stock kernel did and the performance is amazing, which is to be expected considering it's Trinity.

@morfic just does something special... And the community around Trinity is the best on xda.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

flameinthefire

Feb 26, 2008
I love Trinity kernel, I've been using it for two years on my Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Nexus 4 and now Nexus 5.

B11 on the stock ROM (odexed and rooted with ART enabled) is sleeping better than the stock kernel did and the performance is amazing, which is to be expected considering it's Trinity.

@morfic just does something special... And the community around Trinity is the best on xda.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

i agree Trinity kernel is pretty good i dont really see any lag. i just wish he includes the color fix that francos kernal has

caribouxda

Nov 3, 2013
This thread will become a kernel fans thread lol. Anyways running franco since forever no lags at all after r11. Op you are right somehow though, custom kernels have to save some extra juice from somewhere, so devs try to find it at the expense of performance.

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
I would assume that the reason for lag is that many custom kernels disable mpdecision in a quest for better battery life.

ascarda

Jul 9, 2012
the stock kernel run smooth and great
the only thing I'd like to have is tap 2 wake but I don't like the other custom crap

nyc0

May 3, 2012
I would assume that the reason for lag is that many custom kernels disable mpdecision in a quest for better battery life.
Why is that? I did have lag using the latest Faux kernel and switching back to the ondemand governor fixed most of it, but I did keep the Intelliplug Hotplug driver on. How does enabling/disabling mpdecision affects battery life and stability?

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
back in the day with the captivate one of the early developers tested different cross compilers and the effects on wake time. i think that might have a little to do with it. most people are using the linaro compiler these days and it is good, i notice the difference on my other phone using linaro but my other phone never quite feels as good as it did stock with wake time. it may be possible that an older compiler may be better for some things. i tend to feel modded kernels do feel a little glitcy and this could be one area to look at. good news is that the sources have to be posted so you can compile your own version of someones kernel with different compilers or options to test things. maybe remove a commit or two...

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
the stock kernel run smooth and great
the only thing I'd like to have is tap 2 wake but I don't like the other custom crap

Mpdecision ramps up the CPU instantly to 1ghz when a touch event occurs. This makes for a much smoother UI in general, but obviously would use a tiny bit more battery than if the phone were to stay at min clocks.

Reactions: GragonV

hjcg2001

Sep 25, 2009
Using Franco r14 and stock room no problem at all im getting 4 hr SOT. Will change to catalysm rom tomorrow and see if i can get more SOT time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Untitled-21.png

Nexus 5 Battery benchmarks
    all you people that are looking for kernels for battery life, are all doing it wrong. you can have great battery life on any kernel, or terrible battery life. battery life isnt about the kernels, battery life is about how you personally use your phone, how you personally set up your phone, what apps you personally chose to install, and most importantly the quality of your phone/data connection. everything else is just minor when it comes to battery life. so it seems as you all are looking for that magic pill, that doesnt exist, instead of focusing on what is important for battery life.
    ive never had even a thought of lag using trinity on my n5. i cant imagine making the n5 lag :eek:
    comparing kernels/correct testing methodology

its obvious that the experience should differ. we all use our phones differently, have differing usage patterns. and the phones themselves differ as well, like differing setups, differing voltages, etc. unfortunately, whats great for me can be absolutely terrible for someone else. if everything was exactly the same, then the experience would be similar for everyone. but, hardly anything is the exact same.

brace yerself, nuance ahead... Your point is true, to a point. While our use-cases are always going to be different to a point between us, *my* use-case is almost identical every day. I spend about the same amount of time in 2 places (home/work) doing about the same things. sheesh! talk about a rut! and while my usage may change slightly, the amount of drain while screen-off is very comparable.

So, while my assessment of a kernel's battery life, say, is specific to my use-case to a certain degree (some are better sleepers, some at maximizing SOT, for eg), I *can* provide a useful comparison of several kernels for *my* use-case. This can actually provide useful data about how well a particular kernel sleeps for eg, or how well it extends SOT (assuming the usage is very similar for each kernel tested). People providing information should be careful to make sure their usage is comparable, that they are using stock settings, and that they mention which rev of the kernel they're talking about as each kernel changes throughout the dev cycle.

I've said it before. I don't understand that a discussion board about phone development doesn't permit discussion about something that is integral to the development of the phone. We all can't try EVERY kernel and EVERY rom. And there are literally thousands of pages to wade through if you were to read the threads for each individual kernel and rom. A thread such as this is very useful to some of us. The ban on kernel/rom discussions seem very arbitrary and only applied simply BECAUSE it's a rule.

I know that everybody's configuration and use is different and it's hard to generalize, but such generalizations happen in virtually every corner of this forum and are not banned. The only response I've ever seen from a moderator is "They're not allowed." By nature, people are more inclined to follow a rule when they understand why it's there. Educate, don't dictate.