Official Tether/Hotspot Thread

Search This thread

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013
[NATIVE WIFI HOTSPOT]

REMEMBER TO DONATE TO THE DEVELOPER WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE @miked63017, IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT ATLEAST SEND HIM A THANK YOU.

Thanks to @miked63017 CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FLASHABLE ZIP
After you download the zip place it on the main folder of your !!! INTERNAL !!! sd card.
FLash the Zip in custom recovery,, I can confirm this recovery works well
If you update PRL you will need to reflash the zip again
After reboot your native hotspot should work

[BLUETOOTH]
I can confirm Bluetooth tethering works with Foxfi/PDAnet but your limited to around 1.4 mbps, download 'Foxfi for sprint' from the playstore, download pdanet for your computer and set it up. Turn on Bluetooth dun in foxfi, right mouse click on pdanet icon on start bar in windows and select 'connect internet Bluetooth'

[WIRED TETHERING]
Tethering via cable works with Foxfi as well at Full Speed(you must have pdanet installed on your computer as well

[WIFI WIRELESS HOTSPOT] [Alternative Method] requires no system mod just root.
Download 'WiFi Tether Router' from play store (COSTS 2.99 BUT WELL WORTH IT)
Use these settings

"Originally Posted by Vwracer69

Wifi Tether Router worked for me with a sprint S5 with the following settings.

WHEN YOU FIRST CONFIGURE THE APP IT WILL WARN YOU ABOUT ANDROID 4.3/4.4 DO WHAT THE WARNING SAYS. IF YOU MISS THIS STEP YOU MUST UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE APP.

For Samsung Galaxy S5 using this config
Interface wlan0
Method 3 - HostApd
Encryption wpa2-psk
Channel 1
Drivers nl80211
"HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
"No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

(IMPORTANT) Must have wifi turned on but not connected to a network when your first start the tethering app and enable hotspot
If it doesn't work for you then troubleshoot here at the original thread

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013
I have tried searching through list of processes in TiBu and freezing a few to no avail, has anyone come across anything interesting. I think we need to figure out what app does the provisioning first. It seems like we could learn this from a few recently released Sprint phones that have a working hotspot mod..

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013
Ya I purchased that app, there seems to be problems with consistency, it also is a much more streamlined process using built in tethering
(edit)
I've gotten app to work, will post clear instructions.

Last edited:

crusader71

Sep 10, 2011
Ya I purchased that app, there seems to be problems with consistency, it also is a much more streamlined process using built in tethering
(edit)
I've gotten app to work, will post clear instructions.

I have tried everything to no avail. Please tell me exactly how you got it to work on your Sprint GS5. Thanks

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013
Have you bought the app "wifi tether router", some people just downloaded it off the internet and couldn't get it to work(which you shouldn't do), but the current play store version works so buy it and support the dev, also did you disable what the warning told you to disable when you first set up hotspot app, if not uninstall it and start over, and also you must have regular WiFi turned on on your phone and left on but not connected to any networks before you open hotspot router app

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
Posted this in other thread too:

To get the native hotspot working, you need to:
update carriers set type="default,mms,dun" where apn="n.ispsn";

in the following file:
/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

This is what worked for me on Sprint North America. Just got it working today, was trying all the known tricks including rebuilding framework-res.apk with no luck. Be advised however I first used a sqlite app from the market and it added a space between mms and dun which did not work. I installed the sqlite3 binary and did that SQL command from adb shell. Can do more of a walk through if needed, let me know. I also did a few other things, and this is what I am assuming finally did the trick, if it does not work for you please let me know too

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

I am also new to Sprint, is it normal for the hotspot to cutoff when you answer a phone call? Never had that on verizon so was wondering.

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
The wife wants the hotspot on her s5 now too, going to have to root it first but made a flashable zip to unlock the hotspot entitlement thing in the meantime. Need to have root and flash this from recovery. I have tested this on my phone where I have already unlocked it manually, and I plan on testing it on my wife's, once she charges it and I root it. Please test and let me know, I will try to update it if anybody has any suggestions.

**UPDATE**
Hotspot is now working on my wifes Sprint GS5 :)

**UPDATE 2***

Removed zip from this thread, go here for the latest http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727127

Doing that since I have made some updates its easier to manage in one spot.

Last edited:

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
For what its worth, I am only concerned with the wifi hotspot, but there are settings in the settings.db to enable bluetooth and usb tethering as well. I have not tested as I don't have a need for them, but if anybody is interested I can dig them up and add them to the zip for testing. Let me know...

Reactions: eyecon82

crusader71

Sep 10, 2011
The wife wants the hotspot on her s5 now too, going to have to root it first but made a flashable zip to unlock the hotspot entitlement thing in the meantime. Need to have root and flash this from recovery. I have tested this on my phone where I have already unlocked it manually, and I plan on testing it on my wife's, once she charges it and I root it. Please test and let me know, I will try to update it if anybody has any suggestions.

**UPDATE**

Anybody brave enough to try it? I would but I am just a noob that would not like a brick for a phone. If it works can you make a tut for it?

K-Mack

Mar 28, 2014
Flashed and hotspot is working just fine! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda app-developers app

miked63017

Jan 30, 2011
St Louis
There is a zip attached on the first page of this thread. I will most likely make a mod thread with tutorial tomorrow.

Reactions: sixdstoxik

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013

**UPDATE**

May I add this to OP,i will give you full credit,, full credit?

Last edited:

crusader71

Sep 10, 2011
May I add this to OP,i will give you full credit,, full credit?

I flashed but it gave me some errors. I tried just a regular wifi tether app and it says it is working and the subscribe nag is gone but i dont see the sssid when i scan? Anybody have any ideas?

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

I flashed but it gave me some errors. I tried just a regular wifi tether app and it says it is working and the subscribe nag is gone but i dont see the sssid when i scan? Anybody have any ideas?

Never mind it works flawless. Finally! You are the bomb!!!!! Keep up the good work.

sixdstoxik

Jun 11, 2009
Works for me

**UPDATE**

Just flashed and tested it, works perfect thank-you!

Great work man!!!! Just flashed on my Sprint galaxy S5 works great :) Tested the wifi tether on a couple tablets, my computer, and my google TV. Getting great speed on all devices, even while streaming a movie. Appreciate all the hard work!!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

**UPDATE**

**UPDATE 2***

Removed zip from this thread, go here for the latest http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2727127

Doing that since I have made some updates its easier to manage in one spot.
    [NATIVE WIFI HOTSPOT]

REMEMBER TO DONATE TO THE DEVELOPER WHO MADE THIS POSSIBLE @miked63017, IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT ATLEAST SEND HIM A THANK YOU.

Thanks to @miked63017 CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FLASHABLE ZIP
    After you download the zip place it on the main folder of your !!! INTERNAL !!! sd card.
    FLash the Zip in custom recovery,, I can confirm this recovery works well
    If you update PRL you will need to reflash the zip again
    After reboot your native hotspot should work

[BLUETOOTH]
    I can confirm Bluetooth tethering works with Foxfi/PDAnet but your limited to around 1.4 mbps, download 'Foxfi for sprint' from the playstore, download pdanet for your computer and set it up. Turn on Bluetooth dun in foxfi, right mouse click on pdanet icon on start bar in windows and select 'connect internet Bluetooth'

[WIRED TETHERING]
    Tethering via cable works with Foxfi as well at Full Speed(you must have pdanet installed on your computer as well

[WIFI WIRELESS HOTSPOT] [Alternative Method] requires no system mod just root.
    Download 'WiFi Tether Router' from play store (COSTS 2.99 BUT WELL WORTH IT)
    Use these settings

"Originally Posted by Vwracer69

Wifi Tether Router worked for me with a sprint S5 with the following settings.

WHEN YOU FIRST CONFIGURE THE APP IT WILL WARN YOU ABOUT ANDROID 4.3/4.4 DO WHAT THE WARNING SAYS. IF YOU MISS THIS STEP YOU MUST UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL THE APP.

For Samsung Galaxy S5 using this config
    Interface wlan0
    Method 3 - HostApd
    Encryption wpa2-psk
    Channel 1
    Drivers nl80211
    "HostApd Patch" <- UNCHECKED
    "No Firmware Reload" <- UNCHECKED

(IMPORTANT) Must have wifi turned on but not connected to a network when your first start the tethering app and enable hotspot
    If it doesn't work for you then troubleshoot here at the original thread

I know it's no big deal. Just curious as to why it's resetting and If there's a way to counter it

Maybe miked can chat with the guy who created it for the s4? I think his handle was crawljr or something

-Sent from Tapatalk

Yeah I was the one. I don't have the phone and the code on the 5 is different from the 2, 3, 4 or note series. But if I can get a tester, or testers, I am willing to give it a try. You'll need to be on the Deodexed Rom for easier testing. Let me know if anyone is game and I'll put out a test tomorrow. I do like mike's way because it is not dependant on Rom or Os. The way I have always done it is in services.jar. Which means you have to do an odexed and deodexed version. And every time an update comes out you have to update it. You also have to use it on stock roms until devs get it integrated into their roms. But I'll give it a go if anyone is up for testing. There will be minimal risk. I'll create the mod and a restore so if you flash it and it doesn't work or your phone freaks out you can flash the restore from recovery to get right back up.

I asked this in my thread but if anyone is paying for the service and is rooted I would like your help. It may be easy to fix based on a theory of mine.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Posted this in other thread too:

To get the native hotspot working, you need to:
    update carriers set type="default,mms,dun" where apn="n.ispsn";

in the following file:
    /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db

This is what worked for me on Sprint North America. Just got it working today, was trying all the known tricks including rebuilding framework-res.apk with no luck. Be advised however I first used a sqlite app from the market and it added a space between mms and dun which did not work. I installed the sqlite3 binary and did that SQL command from adb shell. Can do more of a walk through if needed, let me know. I also did a few other things, and this is what I am assuming finally did the trick, if it does not work for you please let me know too

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

I am also new to Sprint, is it normal for the hotspot to cutoff when you answer a phone call? Never had that on verizon so was wondering.
    I am looking into modifying the apk that creates the db, this will make it easier to put it in a rom I think. If you have a terminal emulator app or adb you can just as easily re-run the script it is in and reboot

ADB:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    sh /data/local/tmp/unlockHotspot.sh
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot

Terminal Emulator:
    Code:
    su
    sh /data/local/tmp/unlockHotspot.sh
    Then reboot the phone.

If you manually run it you wont have to reflash. But reflashing may be a simpler way depending on your preferences. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow to look into modifying the app that generates the db. I have not updated my PRL yet but it makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.