[Q] Hangouts trouble with certain roms

Search This thread

drewss02

Jun 4, 2014
I'm fairly new to ROMs and what makes things work but I'm having an issue with hangouts on certain ROMs. I've flashed a few different ROMs and on most Hangouts works but won't allow group messaging or allow me to enter or save apns. It also doesn't even show the group messaging option in settings. SMS and even MMS will work but if I try a group message it just sends SMS to individual people. I've had group messaging work on other ROMs with same gapps and everything so I guess my question is what controls hangouts ability to allow group messaging? Is it involved in the apnconf.xml or something else? I've tried replacing apnconf.xml with one that allowed LTE and working group messaging in other ROMs but no dice. Not really sure what to look for so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

djuniah

Jul 10, 2010
Philadelphia
Just wanted to chime in about this. I've had the exact same experience recently. It's not specific to one ROM or phone either. In the past week i went from a Razr Maxx HD to one One M8 and saw the issue on both of them. I'm on verizon but it was showing Sprint and MetroPCS APNs in the list in hangouts. My APN conf file did have the correct ones listed in it though. Also, when I try to manually add the verizon APNs, it just ignores them and doesn't list them. To get it working, i just deleted every APN in the list (assuming it would fallback onto the system ones at that point) and that seems to have "fixed" it for now. However, I would prefer it default to showing the correct ones. If anyone else has experience with this, i'd like to try and get to the bottom of it. (for reference, the ROMS i had used were Gummy on the razr and Carbon on the M8)