[Q] Wrong kernel : black screen, no fastboot, no adb, no factory reset

Search This thread

Locn013

Apr 15, 2015
The only problem and others have is after you press start, it only do 8974_msimage.mbn and then stops.
The Oneplus disconnects, Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 disappears from device manager.
Can someone focus on this problem, the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 disconnect after doing the first file 8974_msimage.mbn. Thnx.
Yes, we all followed the instructions to the letter before this, happend.

pxdx

Nov 4, 2011
Kolkata
EDIT 1/29/2015
I am leaving the original post below the line, however please be advised that I created a new forum thread with updated instructions and workarounds for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. This thread is located at: http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-unbrick-oneplus-one-t3013732
=====================================================================================================

OK, as promised I wanted to write up more detailed steps on how I unbricked my OPO. First, thanks to all who contributed, found the needed files and solution.

The solution is in fact to download Color.zip from https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo.
After downloading, unzip the archive.

Next, Windows drivers. If you're like me you've already tried different drivers, including Qualcomm USB drivers for 9006 and 9008. My best advice is to uninstall the drivers you tried. Go to Device Manager, right click on the bricked USB device (QHSUSB_BULK or Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008) and go to Properties, click on Driver, then select Uninstall. Check the box to remove driver files, if prompted. Then, go to the extracted Color.zip folder and find Driver.iso. Extract Driver.iso. Inside the extracted folder find Setup.exe. Run Setup.exe to install the drivers. The installer is Chinese, but all you need to do is click through.

Second note about drivers if that I had the worst time trying to get things to work on my Windows 7 computers. Both Windows 7 and 8 block unsigned driver installations. I've tried overwriting these settings and spent half a day messing with it, and I never go the next steps to work properly. I ended up trying installing the drivers from Setup.exe and the following steps on my Windows 2003 server and things worked properly first time. I am not saying that you won't get this to work on Window 7 or 8, but if you're having troubles try Windows XP, that might make a difference.

Anyway, once you have the drivers straightened out, connect your phone to the computer, start it up by holding VolUp + Power to about 10 seconds, and let the computer do its thing. Don't install drivers if they are not installed by itself. Instead launch Msm8974DownloadTool.exe. It will scan all the COM ports and find the phone. That's the one line that looks different in the list. The list is just a list of your com devices. If you unplug the phone and move it to another port, or computer, it will show your bricked phone on a different line. There is no reason to click in or select at lines, the program knows where the phone is.

Clicking on "Enum" just rescans the busses. Clicking the big square button in upper right corner scans the phone and reports what's good and what's not. It takes a minute for the scan to finish.

If you don't see your devices, try unplugging/plugging in your phone a couple times, and rebooting it with VolUP + Power (hold 10 seconds). You will see it in Device Manager as well.

Anyway, once you see the phone in the list, click Start. You should see the programs starts writing different files to the phone. Each time it writes a file you'll see a progress bar. Once this is going you know you will be good to go... After all files are written, the line with your device will turn green. You're good, unplug and reboot your phone to ColorOS.

If there is a problems flashing the device, the line will turn Red. That's what I was getting on my Windows 7 after like 3 seconds after clicking Start. After moving to Windows 2003, everything worked like a charm.

Once you're on ColorOS and want to go to Cyanogenmod 11S, you have a few options. The easiest way if to use a toolkit from http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/development/oneplus-one-toolkit-manudroid19-gui-t2807418, or you can download an image manually from: http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-return-opo-to-100-stock-t2826541 and run the following commands in fastboot mode:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash sbl1 sbl1.mbn
fastboot flash dbi sdi.mbn
fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn
fastboot flash rpm rpm.mbn
fastboot flash tz tz.mbn
fastboot flash LOGO logo.bin

Make sure you have the proper image. I accidentally installed the 16GB version on my 64GB OPO first time and obviously didn't get 64GB of space.

That's about it. I think if people are still having problems then it's likely due to drivers, or Windows 7/8 issue. If you're still getting stuck, let me know, I'll see if I can help.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.... Brilliant!!

royi1000

Jun 27, 2007
thanks for saving my phone

You can press F8 on Win boot and choose “Disable Driver Signature Enforcement", solved my unsigned driver problem in win7 64

EDIT 1/29/2015
I am leaving the original post below the line, however please be advised that I created a new forum thread with updated instructions and workarounds for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users. This thread is located at: http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-unbrick-oneplus-one-t3013732
=====================================================================================================

OK, as promised I wanted to write up more detailed steps on how I unbricked my OPO. First, thanks to all who contributed, found the needed files and solution.

The solution is in fact to download Color.zip from https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo.

Next, Windows drivers. If you're like me you've already tried different drivers, including Qualcomm USB drivers for 9006 and 9008. My best advice is to uninstall the drivers you tried. Go to Device Manager, right click on the bricked USB device (QHSUSB_BULK or Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008) and go to Properties, click on Driver, then select Uninstall. Check the box to remove driver files, if prompted. Then, go to the extracted Color.zip folder and find Driver.iso. Extract Driver.iso. Inside the extracted folder find Setup.exe. Run Setup.exe to install the drivers. The installer is Chinese, but all you need to do is click through.

Second note about drivers if that I had the worst time trying to get things to work on my Windows 7 computers. Both Windows 7 and 8 block unsigned driver installations. I've tried overwriting these settings and spent half a day messing with it, and I never go the next steps to work properly. I ended up trying installing the drivers from Setup.exe and the following steps on my Windows 2003 server and things worked properly first time. I am not saying that you won't get this to work on Window 7 or 8, but if you're having troubles try Windows XP, that might make a difference.

Anyway, once you have the drivers straightened out, connect your phone to the computer, start it up by holding VolUp + Power to about 10 seconds, and let the computer do its thing. Don't install drivers if they are not installed by itself. Instead launch Msm8974DownloadTool.exe. It will scan all the COM ports and find the phone. That's the one line that looks different in the list. The list is just a list of your com devices. If you unplug the phone and move it to another port, or computer, it will show your bricked phone on a different line. There is no reason to click in or select at lines, the program knows where the phone is.

Clicking on "Enum" just rescans the busses. Clicking the big square button in upper right corner scans the phone and reports what's good and what's not. It takes a minute for the scan to finish.

If you don't see your devices, try unplugging/plugging in your phone a couple times, and rebooting it with VolUP + Power (hold 10 seconds). You will see it in Device Manager as well.

Anyway, once you see the phone in the list, click Start. You should see the programs starts writing different files to the phone. Each time it writes a file you'll see a progress bar. Once this is going you know you will be good to go... After all files are written, the line with your device will turn green. You're good, unplug and reboot your phone to ColorOS.

If there is a problems flashing the device, the line will turn Red. That's what I was getting on my Windows 7 after like 3 seconds after clicking Start. After moving to Windows 2003, everything worked like a charm.

Once you're on ColorOS and want to go to Cyanogenmod 11S, you have a few options. The easiest way if to use a toolkit from http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/development/oneplus-one-toolkit-manudroid19-gui-t2807418, or you can download an image manually from: http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-return-opo-to-100-stock-t2826541 and run the following commands in fastboot mode:
fastboot flash tz tz.mbn

Make sure you have the proper image. I accidentally installed the 16GB version on my 64GB OPO first time and obviously didn't get 64GB of space.

That's about it. I think if people are still having problems then it's likely due to drivers, or Windows 7/8 issue. If you're still getting stuck, let me know, I'll see if I can help.

hernalser

Apr 21, 2015
hanging at 1+1 logo, no fastboot

hello guys,
i have a big problem. 2 weeks ago i bought a OPO from a guy. the device was ok. He said that it is rooted. for me it wasnt a problem. Then one day i got an update. at restart the opo started till the 1+1 logo and freezes. I was not able to get to the fastboot or recovery mode. Everytime i hold power and vol+(vol-) button the phone does the same thing. It comes to 1+1 logo and freezes. I was not able to get to recovery mode, so i plugged it to my notebook ( win 8.1). First i saw "another device" at device manager. with drivers i managed the device manager to show "android phone" or "android composite interface" or something like that. But i cant see any device in windows explorer. I also tried the color os moethod. But the power and vol button combo didnt work. One day i opened the back cover. I couldnt believe my eyes. the volume button has no connection to the phone. It easily fell down. so i cant specify the problem. Maybe the recovery mode would work but the vol button isnt soldered. When i use the adb cmd a device is recognized but its offline. i have no idea how to unbrick my phone. Please help me guys! :crying:

E

evilmohit

EDIT 1/29/2015

fastboot flash tz tz.mbn

Sir the mega link doesn't work for me.
I live in India Mega is banned in India.....can u provide a alternative link for Color.zip?

siffar

Jul 18, 2010
Ludhiana
LG G6
Google Pixel 2 XL
EDIT 1/29/2015

fastboot flash tz tz.mbn

Thanks for saving my OPO. I had bricked it while reverting to CM11S from OxygenOS. I was in panic mode until I read your post.

Thanks once again.

chirkov90

May 27, 2015
Didn't work for me !!

EDIT 1/29/2015

fastboot flash tz tz.mbn

I did everything like it's explained but no success only thing I get when I connect it to the pc is Unknow Device (Device is not recognized)... any suggestions??

Filko84

Oct 18, 2010
Sofia
Did you menage to fix it?
I am at same situation. Color, Qfil, MiFlash all finished but after restrat no recovery, only logo.

I got into my hands OPO 64GB. History unknown. What it does is: vibrates every 20sec when power button keep pressed. Nothing comes up on screen.
When VOL UP + Power pressed it appears in Device manager as QHSUSB_BULK.
So...looks like hard brick. After 2 days of reading posts I managed to perform:
Install proper drivers from Qualcomm 2012.rar
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgujdut93m341qm/Qualcomm 2012.rar?dl=0
Also tried drivers from MiFlash folder. Same results.
1. Successful flashing with Msm8974DownloadTool - all according to http://xdaforums.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-unbrick-oneplus-one-t3013732
Result: nothing changed, still black screen, vibrates every 20 sec, no joy
Than I found Ultimate Qualcom Snapdragon Unbrick Guide and done as follows:
2. flashing with MiFlash - successful but again no joy - still black screen
Finally I done flashing with
3. QFIL
All files taken from Color.zip
guess...same result, nothing changed, brick brick brick
Please see screenshots as prove of completed flashing, programming, unbricking .... 2 days and no joy
Does it mean my OPO is dead ? Why it doesn't wake up ?
Motherboard from OPO donor is only solution ?
os_man You said in Your Ultimate guide You saved many bricked oneplus smartphones. Any idea what else can I do with my nice, shiny brick ?

View attachment 3197987 View attachment 3197988

View attachment 3197989 View attachment 3197992

View attachment 3197991 View attachment 3197990

Forgot to add - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bmftcxmz8U - video from flashing my OPO with Msm8974DownloadTool. Maybe somebody can make any use of it.

ido0403

Feb 22, 2013
Please help... I have read almost all the posts here

I had TWRP recovery and cm-12.1-20150605-NIGHTLY-bacon rom and I tried to go back to cm-12.1-20150517-NIGHTLY-bacon.zip (Becuz he was more stable). My opo was stuck on the configuration of the apps, every time it's finished he couldn't boot up and did the configuration one again. I shut it done and tried to boot to recovery mood but he was hard bricked.

I did everything by the guide. Got the green line in the end but the characters in chinese look's a little diffrent from the one in the guide picture.
After unplugin the phone... still hard breaked.

I'm trying to solve that for 2 days.
I think the drivers are good cuz I recognize the phone as "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM6)" and after the second process of the Msm8974DownloadTool (which I ran as administrator and in WXP SP3 compatibility) it's become 9006, keeps loading all the files, turns green and... still hard brick!!!

Your assistance will be very much appreciated

ido0403

Feb 22, 2013
Hope it's will help someone

Hey all,
After trying 4 different unbrick tools, 6 different guides and countless drivers.
After losing all hope to unbrick my OPO. I did it.
For all of those whom had my problem (post #391).
I manage to unbrick my phone after I opened up my OPO and unplugged the battery.
There are very good guides for this in youtube.
Many thanks to os_man for his help.

rawi94

Jul 14, 2015
I rooted the phone properly, then I installed a wrong kernel : hells-Core_b47-kk-CM_anykernel.zip (http://d-h.st/users/hellsgod/?fld_id=28949#files)

The phone doesn't boot up anymore, no fastboot, no adb, no hard factory reset. The only thing I can do is connect it to linux and send dd commands. I tried to push a new boot.img through that way but it didn't change anything. (I followed this guide : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2582142 with another boot.img obviously)

In Windows I get the QHSUSB_BULK USB device error.

Anyone could help me out?

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_x9SnJ1Ak This saved my ass, problem with the QS is we cant get the drivers installed .. just install the drivers provided in the video and it should install the COM port that way the tool kit reads it and you can install the color os on it. after that just flash cm and the phone should be alive again.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Yeah, that's what I was trying to tell them waaaaay back earlier on. Any device that's in Qualcomm high speed usb mode is bricked and can only be saved by jtag.

Transmitted via Bacon

Dude if you dont know something for sure, dont say anything at all. why would u kill their hopes like that. Now same thing happened to me just now.. as i am writing this, and i managed to save my phone.

now i dont know what u are on about .. jtag and what not .. as soon as u make the computer recognize the QHSUSB then you should be fine installing color OS on the phone.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

I did everything correctly, it read my device as qualcomm HS-UDB QDLOADER 9008. Used Msm8974DownloadTool and it stops after it overwrites one file. It was not highlighted in green like many of you did. I do not not what went wrong since i follow every single step. :crying:

EDIT: I realize when i was using Msm8974DownloadTool, right after i pressed start it was going well for the first overwrite however nothing happened after that. I check my driver and realized it was not show in my device manager. It disconnect? Any idea what went wrong?

u need qualcomm drivers for that, right now i cant post the link for the drivers, but i managed to brink back my opo to life with the msm tool, i will write a tutorial when i can post links

wardie123

Jul 7, 2015
Wow

Didn't even know that is was possible to RIP your phone this hard. Hope I'll never get into this kind of troubles :)

chichu_9

Oct 27, 2006
Atlanta
Help me, I am stuck

Ok guys, so here is where I am stuck. System has the drivers, I open the MSM tool as admin and it shows the device on com port. When I click on start, it runs the mbn file and then it stops. Any help is greatly appreciated.
VbwGU9n.png

ambervals6

Jun 14, 2015
How are you guys being able to get device recognized? Mine keeps saying unknown device and refuses to let me install qualcomm drivers. And yes Iran those 2 cmd commands already and rebooted.

Sent from my SM-G920T

redneck_666

Feb 5, 2011
Covington, WA
arrgh!!

I literally just gave this phone to my stepson last night, after being factory sealed for 8 months.
He turned it on, let it update twice, and now it's stuck on the 1+ logo.
I tried to do every suggestion mentioned, but due to the fact that he never once thought about having to check dev options and none of the drivers installed, it is way too late to RMA this. Even if this company does that.

Hope everyone gets their issues fixed.

Elkhantar

Feb 3, 2009
I had the same issue, but managed to fix mine

Ok, first of all, keep calm. It's mostly a matter of getting your hands on a suitable computer to flash the color OS with the provided tool.

I have tried on a Windows 8, a Windows Vista, and two different windows xp computers (a laptop and a desktop). Well, of all those, only the XP desktop was able to run everything fine. I followed the instructions here:
http://www.htcmania.com/archive/index.php/t-924041.html

Which are actually a translation of the instructions on this thread. As I just mentioned, I repeated the process multiple times, and only in an old XP desktop I was able to get it running (even if some of the previous steps worked on other PCs).

On all others, I either had issues installing the drivers, or the Msm8974DownloadTool.exe didn't recognize any port, or it stopped after filling the bar for the first time (then the driver switches from recognizing the device as a 9008 to a 9006) and instead of flashing more files and filling the bar a few more times, it simply stops and fails.

This doesn't break the phone in any way. Turn it off by long-pressing power and on again by pressing power + volume up (it's what I did) until the PC recognizes the device again, and start all over. If it doesn't work a couple of times, stop trying, and look for another PC to try (or do a fresh windows XP installation). I couldn't make it recognize the drivers on a virtual machine, so I wouldn't even bother (I guess it has to pass through the physical host? it might depend on how you run the virtualization).

Actually if any of you in the same situation (screen won't even turn on, and it's recognized as a qualcomm bulk device) and wants me to try, feel free to ship the thing to me (send me a PM) and I'll try to flash the phone. I already have a desktop where it works, so I should be able to repeat the process.

I live in Spain, though, so keep an eye on the shipping fees!

Also: After I flashed the Color OS, the phone rebooted any time it tried to start the SIM card. I had to extract the card and start the device on wifi to be able to do anything with it (probably because the radio I flashed was not compatible with the spanish sim card).

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

I literally just gave this phone to my stepson last night, after being factory sealed for 8 months.
He turned it on, let it update twice, and now it's stuck on the 1+ logo.
I tried to do every suggestion mentioned, but due to the fact that he never once thought about having to check dev options and none of the drivers installed, it is way too late to RMA this. Even if this company does that.

Hope everyone gets their issues fixed.

Hi redneck_666; actually what you are having seems like a boot loop, rather than the problem others are stating, since mine didn't even turn the screen on. I would try to start it on fastboot mode (power + volume up with the device unplugged).

If that does start the device in fastboot then you can plug it in afterwards and flash normally.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT 1/29/2015

fastboot flash tz tz.mbn

Unbricked mine which was in "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008"

I bricked my OPO today, it was shown as Qualcom HS-USB QDLoader 9008 in the device manager of my computer.

YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Steps to unbrick (only if you are in 9008 mode) :
    1. Download: []https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo[]
    2. Open: Msm8974DownloadTool.exe
    3. One line should look a bit different then the other (in my picture you cannot see this cause mine is not in 9008 mode)
    4. Select the line looking different and click start.
    5. If there is no other looking line unplug your phone and press Vol+ & Power for about 10 seconds. After this replug your phone. And one line should look different.
    After this you are on ColorOS search the oneplus forums for introductions returning to cm.

PS: I cannot guarantee that it will work and that your device will brick harder ^^. For me it worked.
    Hi @os_man,

I can help you to find the 3 files you need .....

Promise us that you will teach us in details (step by step with image) , how to recover hard bricked 1+1 using QPST.
    ok?

here you will find the 3 required files...

Open the xml and you will find the partition details and mapping...

Go there
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/rom-official-4-3-coloros-v-2-0-0_beta.79203/

Download the file ..
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo
    807.3MB

View attachment 2900345

The exe Msm8974DownloadTool.exe might help , but I can not understand the Chinese lang

View attachment 2900361

@timmaaa, kindly help him to use QPST to solve this issue, If he get success, we can learn a new thing from him...
    Thanks

Of course i will, like i said i recovered a lenovo k910 before (qualcomm snapdragon 800) exactly in same position (blank screen, no lights, no bootloader, no fasboot) but i had all the necessary files like i said, now my opo is in qdloader mode 9008 too ( or 9006, not much a diffrent, 9006 is messed up partition table ). Let me start to work tomorrow (tonight im dealing with the encryted imei of oppo 7). I wish everything goes ok and i recover opo too, the knowledge after to share with who needs, promise. And Thank you.
    find me these 3 files, ill help you to recover your opo (mines too), opo should send us those files ( as moppo does it for find series)

MPRG8974.mbn
    patch0.xml
    rawprogram0.xml

All the other files , images i already have in my backups.
    And dont be so sorry, you flashed wrong kernel, ok it was a mistake, but many had their phones in 9008 too, they just wanted to return to color od from that silly cm rom's. Mine is dead too (has the diag port still, thank God), opo should, "must" even send us those files, the rest is on me,
    Greetings.

WRONG INFORMATION !
    Web is full of info how to recover from 9008 mode with the right files of course, why you keep saying that ???

Hi @os_man,

I can help you to find the 3 files you need .....

Promise us that you will teach us in details (step by step with image) , how to recover hard bricked 1+1 using QPST.
    ok?

here you will find the 3 required files...

Open the xml and you will find the partition details and mapping...

Go there
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/rom-official-4-3-coloros-v-2-0-0_beta.79203/

Download the file ..
    https://mega.co.nz/#!BkpwyYSB!rkYSkFI28vFGuhtsIli-vyDdsb4ZZp1-MX1cLLtaiRo
    807.3MB

color_os_official_opo.jpg

The exe Msm8974DownloadTool.exe might help , but I can not understand the Chinese lang

Msm8974DownloadTool.jpg

Yeah you can recover, with a jtag. If you know how to do it without jtagging the device please enlighten us.

Transmitted via Bacon
    @timmaaa, kindly help him to use QPST to solve this issue, If he get success, we can learn a new thing from him...
    Thanks
    I just noticed that it's showing up as QHSUSB_BULK on your PC, you're bricked. I believe the only possible solution is to have a jtag repair done on it. But, you're probably gonna have a hard time finding someone that does jtag repairs on this phone.

All in all, you've learned a really important (and expensive) lesson here. XDA is made up of device-specific sections, when you own a device you absolutely must stay within your device's subforum.

Transmitted via Bacon