[BOOTLOADER] How to Install a Bootloader Update

Search This thread

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about bootloaders on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

Hi everybody,

As you may or may not know, the latest builds of CyanogenMod 10.1 (and many other ROMs which use CM as a base) refuse to install without an updated bootloader on your device. Even if you bypass this requirement, the ROM won't boot. I haven't seen any clear-cut instructions on updating the bootloader except for a single post buried in the CM10.1 nightly thread, posted by Jiangyi, but that update also changes your modem, so I thought I'd throw together a thread dedicated to bootloaders only.

Step 1 - Identify your model

This subforum supports 2 different models; The I747 and the I747M. You can find your device's model in a few different ways:
  • While Android is running
    In Settings, under About Phone, the Baseband version shows the currently installed modem firmware version. If your phone currently works on mobile networks, then you've probably got the right modem firmware for your model, and the Baseband version will start with either "I747" or "I747M". This is your model.

yq3heQi.jpg

• While the phone is off
    Underneath your battery is a sticker showing your IMEI and other information, including the model number.

j4WrA1m.jpg

Step 2 - Download the correct update

You can install this updated bootloader in a couple different ways; Most people should be comfortable flashing ZIPs in their recovery (CWM or TWRP both work fine) while others may want to install the update via Odin. Choose your model and preferred method, and download the matching file from below.

I747U (AT&T)
I747M (Canada and overseas) (Updating this list shortly...)
  • I747MVLUEMK5 - Nov 5, 2013 - boot_CWM_I747MVLUEMK5.zip - 1.14 MB WARNING: Do not attempt to downgrade from this bootloader. Doing so will brick your device. Use extra caution when flashing anything via Odin, as many Odin packages will attempt to flash the bootloader.
Check my Dropbox if d-h.st is giving you issues.

Step 3 - Flash the update

Depending on which type of update package you downloaded, follow one of the following steps:
  • Flashing with Odin
    1. Download Odin: [link]
    2. Put your phone into download mode. Some ROMs have this option in the Power>Reboot menu, otherwise just hold "Volume Down" and "Home" while powering on your device.
    3. Launch Odin, then connect the USB cable to your device.
    4. Click the "PDA" button and select the package you downloaded in step 2.
    5. Click "Start" in Odin and wait for the process to complete. Your device should reboot automatically when the flash is complete, and you're done.
  • Flashing in recovery
    If you've downloaded a flashable .ZIP from above, copy it to your SD card or internal storage. Reboot your phone into recovery mode (you can do this by holding "Volume Up" and "Home" while powering on your device; let go of the buttons when you see "Recovery booting..." in blue text in the top left of the screen) and install the .ZIP as an update. Reboot, and you're done.
    Note: After flashing in recovery, you need to reboot before you (and ROM installers) actually see the new version number.

Did you brick your phone attempting to downgrade your bootloader?

There really is no reason to downgrade your bootloader; If you did it to be able to flash a ROM that doesn't recognize the newest bootloader version and therefore wouldn't let you flash, you should contact the ROM developer and tell them to add the newest bootloader version to their asserts. The latest bootloaders trigger eFUSEs within the device, no longer allowing it to boot from older bootloaders. These eFUSEs cannot be reset, but @-Mr. X- has come up with an unbricking method that may help you out. Check it out here.

If you're looking to update your modem as well, check my signature for a link to the modem thread.

Last edited:

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Look forward to seeing a recovery flashable zip that updates the bootloader. Never have I seen that before. I have always used Odin for that. Thanks and looking forward to trying it out.

Sent from My Spiderman Themed I747

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
So you created a thread for bootloader only updates, but there are no bootloader only updates available? :confused:

What files are available for download? Is that the full firmware or the files created by Jiangyi?

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
So you created a thread for bootloader only updates, but there are no bootloader only updates available? :confused:

What files are available for download? Is that the full firmware or the files created by Jiangyi?

Currently I've linked to Jiangyi's files, I'm working on bootloader-only updates right now. I just wanted to get this thread up ASAP because I've had a few different people PM me asking for help. As a temporary option, you could just use the Odin update and then flash another modem on top of that.

upndwn4par

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2012
New Jersey
Currently I've linked to Jiangyi's files, I'm working on bootloader-only updates right now. I just wanted to get this thread up ASAP because I've had a few different people PM me asking for help.
Instead of posting links to someone else's work, you could have just directed them to Jiangyi's post in the CM10.1 thread. ;)

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
Instead of posting links to someone else's work, you could have just directed them to Jiangyi's post in the CM10.1 thread. ;)
The link in my first paragraph does just that, but since this is affecting a lot more ROMs than just CM, people are going to need this information and a single post on a random page of a massive thread usually gets overlooked by 99% of people. The point of this thread is to make information easy to find and ensure that people are able to update their bootloaders and run new ROMs.

Like I said, the links to his work are temporary while I get my own files uploaded. Not exactly on the fastest of connections right now.

hapticxchaos

Aug 10, 2012
i found this post very helpful and informative i think i would have been MORE confused having just been linked to a single post. the pictures and instructions are so awesome!

thanks man the community appreciates your work, you can ignore the rent a mods

mcala

Oct 13, 2011
If your phone came with DLK3 when purchased from AT&T this is not necessary correct?

SHOstock3
Jeboo 2.2

robbieas

Jun 20, 2011
Atlanta
So if I flash this, my flash counter will increase to 1, right? I've been avoiding the bootloader update because of this.

When I got my phone, I upgraded to 4.1.1 (which is what this bootloader update is based on, right?), then rooted, installed CWM, and flashed ROMs. But with that Triangle Away reset the counter to 0 only until a reboot, after reboot it incremented to 1. So to resolve I Odin flashed 4.0.4, rooted, installed CWM, used Triangle away, then flashed ROMs... and my counter stayed at 0 after reboot.

Just trying to hedge warranty concerns versus being a nightly flashaholic....

mrhaley30705

Mar 12, 2011
North Georgia
Correct, the 4.1.1 bootloader does have the newer flash counter. It will increase your flash counter when you reboot if your not running stock (I think it checks the type of recovery installed and something with the kernel. I think.)

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
So if I flash this, my flash counter will increase to 1, right? I've been avoiding the bootloader update because of this.

When I got my phone, I upgraded to 4.1.1 (which is what this bootloader update is based on, right?), then rooted, installed CWM, and flashed ROMs. But with that Triangle Away reset the counter to 0 only until a reboot, after reboot it incremented to 1. So to resolve I Odin flashed 4.0.4, rooted, installed CWM, used Triangle away, then flashed ROMs... and my counter stayed at 0 after reboot.

Just trying to hedge warranty concerns versus being a nightly flashaholic....
Using a recovery-flashable ZIP will not increase your flash counter.

robbieas

Jun 20, 2011
Atlanta
Using a recovery-flashable ZIP will not increase your flash counter.

This is incorrect. Simply having a custom recovery period with the 4.1.1 bootloader will always increment your counter to 1 after a reboot. Triangle Away will reset your counter to 0, but upon reboot it will be back to 1.

This was my experience when I rooted from 4.1.1. Then I Odin`d back to 4.0.4, rooted, CWM, flased ROMs and my counter stayed at 0 through multiple flashes. As soon as I flashed this bootloader patch my counter went to 1 ater reboot. Triangle Away will reset to 0, but on reboot it goes back to 1.

Not sure it really matters, not sure why I even care about the flash counter... guess just want to hedge my bets in case I need warranty and can't Odin to stock before returning.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about bootloaders on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

Hi everybody,

As you may or may not know, the latest builds of CyanogenMod 10.1 (and many other ROMs which use CM as a base) refuse to install without an updated bootloader on your device. Even if you bypass this requirement, the ROM won't boot. I haven't seen any clear-cut instructions on updating the bootloader except for a single post buried in the CM10.1 nightly thread, posted by Jiangyi, but that update also changes your modem, so I thought I'd throw together a thread dedicated to bootloaders only.

Step 1 - Identify your model

This subforum supports 2 different models; The I747 and the I747M. You can find your device's model in a few different ways:
    • While Android is running
      In Settings, under About Phone, the Baseband version shows the currently installed modem firmware version. If your phone currently works on mobile networks, then you've probably got the right modem firmware for your model, and the Baseband version will start with either "I747" or "I747M". This is your model.

yq3heQi.jpg

• While the phone is off
      Underneath your battery is a sticker showing your IMEI and other information, including the model number.

j4WrA1m.jpg

Step 2 - Download the correct update

You can install this updated bootloader in a couple different ways; Most people should be comfortable flashing ZIPs in their recovery (CWM or TWRP both work fine) while others may want to install the update via Odin. Choose your model and preferred method, and download the matching file from below.

I747U (AT&T)
    I747M (Canada and overseas) (Updating this list shortly...)
    • I747MVLUEMK5 - Nov 5, 2013 - boot_CWM_I747MVLUEMK5.zip - 1.14 MB WARNING: Do not attempt to downgrade from this bootloader. Doing so will brick your device. Use extra caution when flashing anything via Odin, as many Odin packages will attempt to flash the bootloader.
    Check my Dropbox if d-h.st is giving you issues.

Step 3 - Flash the update

Depending on which type of update package you downloaded, follow one of the following steps:
    • Flashing with Odin
      1. Download Odin: [link]
      2. Put your phone into download mode. Some ROMs have this option in the Power>Reboot menu, otherwise just hold "Volume Down" and "Home" while powering on your device.
      3. Launch Odin, then connect the USB cable to your device.
      4. Click the "PDA" button and select the package you downloaded in step 2.
      5. Click "Start" in Odin and wait for the process to complete. Your device should reboot automatically when the flash is complete, and you're done.
    • Flashing in recovery
      If you've downloaded a flashable .ZIP from above, copy it to your SD card or internal storage. Reboot your phone into recovery mode (you can do this by holding "Volume Up" and "Home" while powering on your device; let go of the buttons when you see "Recovery booting..." in blue text in the top left of the screen) and install the .ZIP as an update. Reboot, and you're done.
      Note: After flashing in recovery, you need to reboot before you (and ROM installers) actually see the new version number.

Did you brick your phone attempting to downgrade your bootloader?

There really is no reason to downgrade your bootloader; If you did it to be able to flash a ROM that doesn't recognize the newest bootloader version and therefore wouldn't let you flash, you should contact the ROM developer and tell them to add the newest bootloader version to their asserts. The latest bootloaders trigger eFUSEs within the device, no longer allowing it to boot from older bootloaders. These eFUSEs cannot be reset, but @-Mr. X- has come up with an unbricking method that may help you out. Check it out here.

If you're looking to update your modem as well, check my signature for a link to the modem thread.
    How to UNBRICK:

Credit goes to these guys in this thread, I thought i was onto something origional, however after doign some searching i found others have figured this out for a different Variant of the S3 :)

What you did:
    Bricked downgrading the bootloader after upgrading to the 4.3 bootloader. The 4.3 bootloader appears to blow efuses that stop previous boot loaders from booting. Now your EMMC has non booting garbage on/in it. YAY! not...

What we are doing:
    What we will be doing is writing the Partition layout (Partition.mbn) among other things to the SD so the phone will boot from it after it fails to boot from the EMMC. According to my research the CPU is designed to cascaded from one storage device to the other in the event of failure on the first device. This also means if your EMMC is smoked, you could technically run the whole rom and everything from the sd card, or that's my assumption.

What you need:

- A Micro SD card 16GB or larger. this will no work on smaller cards, i tried a 2GB 4 GB and 8GB for the sake of testing and it fails.

- A working Dump that includes the SBL1, SBL2, SBL3, aboot, TZ and RPM from a working device that matches your DEVICE MODLE ie: I747U or I747M If you wanto t create your own dump from a friends device the command in a rooted adb shell would be as follows but not exact depending where you want the dump file to end up being on your sd cards. "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/storage/sdcard1/debrick.bin bs=1024 count=81920" That is what I used my my co-workers CM 10.2 rom to get the 4.3 bootloader/debrick dump. NOTE: the device has to be rooted with a working busybox that supports the dd command.

- The ability to write the dump image to the micro sdcard.

What to do:

First:
    I used "Win32DiskImage" Located here But you can also use dd to write the image to your sd card in Linux.

On Windows:
    Open Win32DiskImage. Brows to the Debrick dump you have for your device. Select the drive letter if your micro sd in the drop-down, click write. Bam done.

On Linux:
    For ease of example, and method. Open Gparted on your Linux install or live cd, check the dev your sd card is in the drop down menu. For example mine was /dev/sdb/ then use "dd if=/path/to/debrick/dump.img of=/dev/sdb/" This method also works. Be careful you are selecting the right dev or you will overwrite another disk on your system. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Second:
    Put that SD card in your device insert the battery and if the SD card is written correctly with a proper debrick file. You can put a jig in the device and it will boot straight to download mode. If you dont have a jig hold Vol Down + Home + Power the device will boot to download. If it does not, either the image didn't write to the card properly ( I had to write it a few times with Win32DiskImager, DD worked fine the first try), the debrick dump is no good. Or your trying to debrink your 4.3 bootloader downgrade brick with a dump from 4.1.2 compatible bootloaders. this will not work the blown efuse will still prevent the bootloader from booting from the SD card as well as the EMMC. You will know pretty fast if it worked, as the device will vibe with the jig or it will vibe with the button combo almost immediately after being pressed and held.

Third:
    Odin that thing back to the 4.3 stock rom. Yes you have to. You ain't getting 4.1.2 bootloaders back so dont think about odining that thing either. it wont boot, with out the SD with the 4.3 bootloader on it installed. Odining back is the best thing to do, it will get the right boot loader on your EMMC. If you are feeling adventurous and you had a custom recovery installed. You can boot to recover instead of download from the debricking SD boot, and install a 4.3 flashable zip bootloader there, if all goes well, you wont lose your data and the bootloader will be functional on the EMMC. Either method you choose after its done "flashing" what ever method. remove the sd and verify it boots on its own.
    Note: a user stated that he flashed a bootloader via recovery and flashable zip, and he stated it appeared to flash the bootloadeerr to the micro sd. if this happens, ODIN back to the proper rom to get the internal EMMC rebuilt and booting.

If it does, do a dance or something.

Here is a flashable for the i747M 4.3 Bootloader
    Here is a debrick Dump from a I747M from the UEMK5 4.3 that works
    Here is an untested debrick dump for I747M from the DMF1 4.1.2 (WOuld be used to debrick a device that was bricked before or that has not updated to 4.3 bootloader only)
    Here is a debrick file from the I747U on 4.3 thanks to theramsey3 I cannot test it obviously but it looks good in a hex editor. Should work for any one who has bricked the I747U by downgrading the boot loader.
    The link in my first paragraph does just that, but since this is affecting a lot more ROMs than just CM, people are going to need this information and a single post on a random page of a massive thread usually gets overlooked by 99% of people. The point of this thread is to make information easy to find and ensure that people are able to update their bootloaders and run new ROMs.

Like I said, the links to his work are temporary while I get my own files uploaded. Not exactly on the fastest of connections right now.
    Recovery-flashable I747UDMG2 bootloader added to OP! Or, download here: boot_CWM_I747UCDMG2.zip - 1.13 MB

If you have issues booting after installing, update your modem to match (link in my sig) or you can always reinstall the previous one, DLK3.

I'll work on getting the original stock bootloaders added soon, just for the sake of completeness.
    Sorry for the delay in getting the new links up everyone, I'm uploading the M-variant versions now and will do the AT&T versions next. It's been a busy week... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Some versions are now available in my Dropbox!
    You will not be able to downgrade your bootloader using these packages; Upgrades only!