Malware Pop Up - OK

Search This thread

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
I just visited this forum form my Nexus 5 and a pop up stating that I had malware appeared. It said if I wanted to remove it. I was gonna click 'NO', then I thought "Well, this is xda-developers..." so I... pressed 'YES'.

Nothing happened. Closed the tab and nothing seems to have happened. Did I install malware? Did I get an infection of any kind?

Thanks.

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
I just visited this forum form my Nexus 5 and a pop up stating that I had malware appeared. It said if I wanted to remove it. I was gonna click 'NO', then I thought "Well, this is xda-developers..." so I... pressed 'YES'.

Nothing happened. Closed the tab and nothing seems to have happened. Did I install malware? Did I get an infection of any kind?

Thanks.

A malware won't tell you that it is a malware. Also, if you dont have an Antimalware installed, why did you hit yes? common sense. it was maybe an ad. next time hit the back button on your phone and never touch a pop up

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
A malware won't tell you that it is a malware. Also, if you dont have an Antimalware installed, why did you hit yes? common sense. it was maybe an ad. next time hit the back button on your phone and never touch a pop up

Then what should I do now? How can I be sure it was just an ad or something harmeless? I'm even considering restoring from a nandroid backup made with TWRP...

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Then what should I do now? How can I be sure it was just an ad or something harmeless? I'm even considering restoring from a nandroid backup made with TWRP...

If you are using custom Rom, it likely has a modified hosts file that blocks redirection from ads and nothing just happened.
did it take you to another page out of xda? do you have new icons on the home screen? if so, download Airpush detector and run it. it will detect fake apps
I dont think anything installed on your phone unless you saw something downloading. It was an advertisement looking for click or to sell you a fake antimalware solution.

rwed

Mar 5, 2014
If you are using custom Rom, it likely has a modified hosts file that blocks redirection from ads and nothing just happened.
did it take you to another page out of xda? do you have new icons on the home screen? if so, download Airpush detector and run it. it will detect fake apps
I dont think anything installed on your phone unless you saw something downloading. It was an advertisement looking for click or to sell you a fake antimalware solution.

I'm using stock ROM. 4.4.2. It didn't redirect me anywhere. I ended up running a couple of anti malwares which found nothing. I then restored from my most recent backup. Didn't wanna take any chances...

At least now I know these messages are fake...

Cactus42

Jul 4, 2010
It's one of those stupid popup adverts that - when it works - takes you to a page pretending to do a scan, then says something like "We found 247 viruses on your phone! Install Dave's Antivirus 2014 to remove them!"

I expected more of XDA.