Original Android vs Stock Android

Search This thread

GTMoraes

Dec 3, 2010
Recife
Hey, i've been willing to try stock android for a while on my G2, but I've never been so adventurous. I left that for my Nexus 7.
I do have knowledge about the benefits and the nice add-ons that Paranoid, CM and etc brings, but I've been reluctant to make the change.

When I bought this phone months ago, I've quickly went into XDA to check the Original Androids, even before using the G2.
Every ROM I found back then had some "serious" flaw, like messed up camera (ported from N5), no quick-remote, bad battery life et al. So I just went on using the Stock G2 Android and guess what.. it's pretty nice. Fast and full of features.
I'm pretty comfortable with the CloudyG3 ROM right now, but I want to try something new.

Since my previous adventures with flashing ROM merrily were much time consuming, and I need this phone on working order 24/7, I'd like to hear your opinion regarding to changing from the Stock Android to a AOSP, CM Android. What do I lose? Does the quick remote still works? Is the camera as good as stock? Does the device gets faster or more battery efficient? What are the trade-offs?

Thanks!

T

TechGirl90

Hey, i've been willing to try stock android for a while on my G2, but I've never been so adventurous. I left that for my Nexus 7.
I do have knowledge about the benefits and the nice add-ons that Paranoid, CM and etc brings, but I've been reluctant to make the change.

When I bought this phone months ago, I've quickly went into XDA to check the Original Androids, even before using the G2.
Every ROM I found back then had some "serious" flaw, like messed up camera (ported from N5), no quick-remote, bad battery life et al. So I just went on using the Stock G2 Android and guess what.. it's pretty nice. Fast and full of features.
I'm pretty comfortable with the CloudyG3 ROM right now, but I want to try something new.

Since my previous adventures with flashing ROM merrily were much time consuming, and I need this phone on working order 24/7, I'd like to hear your opinion regarding to changing from the Stock Android to a AOSP, CM Android. What do I lose? Does the quick remote still works? Is the camera as good as stock? Does the device gets faster or more battery efficient? What are the trade-offs?

Thanks!
Greetings, the trade offs from my experience of using Paranoid Android 4.4.4(based of cyanogenmod) is the loss of quick remote, slight difference in camera quality of using the Google camera, the quality using the Google camera is good but not great, it's like the app is reprogramming the true image quality of the lg g2 and programming it to shoot at 8 megapixels, I myself personally is still trying to find an app out there that performs good with my infared emitter on the g2, no luck, but simply put, you lose 90% if not 100% of the features that was put into the g2 when you flash a custom rom.

Besides the trade offs I mentioned, the battery life is performing very well for me:):):):)

I really hope I helped you in your decision:):):):)

Sent from my LS980 running PA 4.4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk???

GTMoraes

Dec 3, 2010
Recife
Greetings, the trade offs from my experience of using Paranoid Android 4.4.4(based of cyanogenmod) is the loss of quick remote, slight difference in camera quality of using the Google camera, the quality using the Google camera is good but not great, it's like the app is reprogramming the true image quality of the lg g2 and programming it to shoot at 8 megapixels, I myself personally is still trying to find an app out there that performs good with my infared emitter on the g2, no luck, but simply put, you lose 90% if not 100% of the features that was put into the g2 when you flash a custom rom.

Besides the trade offs I mentioned, the battery life is performing very well for me:):):):)

I really hope I helped you in your decision:):):):)

Sent from my LS980 running PA 4.4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk???

Hey, thanks!

I feel like It'll be a rough transition, and I'll miss many features. I'm still pondering the losses and the gains. Thanks for letting me know about what won't work, I might try Paranoid this weekend, just to see how it performs. God bless Nandroid backups!

T

TechGirl90

Hey, thanks!

I feel like It'll be a rough transition, and I'll miss many features. I'm still pondering the losses and the gains. Thanks for letting me know about what won't work, I might try Paranoid this weekend, just to see how it performs. God bless Nandroid backups!
No problem[emoji4]

UPDATE: a new tradeoff from what I've experienced is the sound quality on Paranoid Android, it sounds very grainy, for example it sounds like a person talking loud with a mic, this is a software issue with Paranoid Android, I personally did not like that, so I returned to Stock and flashed a different ROM, this ROM is called "Mahdi", and the sound quality sounds so much better and clear, I can hear people clearly on the other line when I speak with them, I didn't get this experience with Paranoid Android, Paranoid Android sound quality when listening to the person on the other line sounds muffled, I find myself having to ask them to repeat what they've said.

Long Story Short: Paranoid Android's audio is not good and Mahdi ROM's is, so if you don't want to deal with this software issue with the audio, give " Mahdi ROM" a try.[emoji4][emoji4]

Here's a link to the ROM

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48954210

The tradeoffs(beside the bad audio quality on Paranoid Android) will still exist.[emoji4]

Last edited:

GTMoraes

Dec 3, 2010
Recife
No problem[emoji4]

UPDATE: a new tradeoff from what I've experienced is the sound quality on Paranoid Android, it sounds very grainy, for example it sounds like a person talking loud with a mic, this is a software issue with Paranoid Android, I personally did not like that, so I returned to Stock and flashed a different ROM, this ROM is called "Mahdi", and the sound quality sounds so much better and clear, I can hear people clearly on the other line when I speak with them, I didn't get this experience with Paranoid Android, Paranoid Android sound quality when listening to the person on the other line sounds muffled, I find myself having to ask them to repeat what they've said.

Long Story Short: Paranoid Android's audio is not good and Mahdi ROM's is, so if you don't want to deal with this software issue with the audio, give " Mahdi ROM" a try.[emoji4][emoji4]

Here's a link to the ROM

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48954210

The tradeoffs(beside the bad audio quality on Paranoid Android) will still exist.[emoji4]

Wow, that was unexpected! Don't you think using Viper4Android mod wouldn't fix?
Call quality is a must for me... Thanks for the heads up! I'll try this Mahdi ROM this weekend

T

TechGirl90

Wow, that was unexpected! Don't you think using Viper4Android mod wouldn't fix?
Call quality is a must for me... Thanks for the heads up! I'll try this Mahdi ROM this weekend
No problem,[emoji4] just make sure you download the patch of your variant, or else Mahdi ROM, won't boot, you'll be stuck at fastboot.[emoji6]

6u6unetu.jpg

Hmm, never heard of Viper4Android.

Sent from my LG-LS980 running Mahdi ROM 4.4.4 using Tapatalk

jcnbama

Jun 4, 2012
Huntsville

Thanks!

I came to this phone from a Nexus 4. Same as you I constantly toyed with that phone. I flashed Paranoid Android and Cyanogenmod both on this phone. I was so sorry I did. They just can not hold up to the stability of a solid stock rom. I presently am using Cloudyfa Cloudy Stock. Works great and since I'm not using ART presently I have a lot of Xposed running to customize and tweak the stock rom. Cloudyfa's Cloudy G3 rom is great too.
Tradeoffs.....
1) Not quite as stable.
2) Camera quality can not even compare to Xdabbebs mod which works best on Stock.
3) Missing features (that you may or may not use)
4) Really no reason to do it....
Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Free mobile app

GTMoraes

Dec 3, 2010
Recife
I came to this phone from a Nexus 4. Same as you I constantly toyed with that phone. I flashed Paranoid Android and Cyanogenmod both on this phone. I was so sorry I did. They just can not hold up to the stability of a solid stock rom. I presently am using Cloudyfa Cloudy Stock. Works great and since I'm not using ART presently I have a lot of Xposed running to customize and tweak the stock rom. Cloudyfa's Cloudy G3 rom is great too.
Tradeoffs.....
1) Not quite as stable.
2) Camera quality can not even compare to Xdabbebs mod which works best on Stock.
3) Missing features (that you may or may not use)
4) Really no reason to do it....
Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Free mobile app

Yeah... I'm running Mahdi ROM here and.. well, it feels awkward. It feels like I'm losing, missing something. It is butter smooth, sure, but the stock ROM was also this. It doesn't have the copy/paste cache too, which I liked a lot. Camera quality is shameful, and from a device that commonly received random praises about photo quality from friends. I've found a mod that enabled QuickRemote back, but I couldn't stand using the G2 like that anymore, unfortunately.

Funny that I always used my Moto Atrix 4G, Galaxy S3 (these two works till today, and are incredibly fast!) and Nexus 7 with CyanogenMod and Paranoid, but it just feels wrong on the G2. LG surely did a great job there. I'm back to my G3 ROM, with a comfy, cozy, homey feel.

I won't go out in the wild anymore lol. (Maybe when the Nexus 7 is up and running again)

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
I came from a Nexus 4 aswell, and I had a Nexus 7v2 too, so like you I'm used to the stock feeling of Android.
However, I don't find AOSP based Roms for the LG G2 to give out the same performance they give on Nexus devices.
It feels out of place, like something is missing.

After almost regreting trading my Nexus 4 for the LG G2, I found Cloudy G3 Rom and I've been happy since then. It's a great Rom, very stable, battery life is good and you keep all the G2 stock features such as Knock Code.

Personaly I think it is the best Rom for this device so far.