[Q] Cannot change date Very interesting challenge :)

Search This thread

the_bond

Jan 7, 2013
I have a smt-210 with custom rom.
The rom has stupid security policies and does not allow you to navigate to settings. The whole settings section is blocked.
Wifi is disabled . GPS is disabled. Any connectivity is disabled even the usb debugging/connecting is disabled.
They have modded framework-res and if u try to access any of these u get a message saying settings blocked

My problem is while trying to boot in recovery mode there was a soft reset and the system time got reset to 2012.

Now some applications in the rom are set to work only for a limited period of time. Those are commercial apps and are built that way. I need to change the date back to the current date so that they work.

I can connect to adb shell in recovery mode.
I have tried

Code:
date -s "20140822.175400"

But i get
Code:
date: can't set date: Function not implemented
Sat Sep 22 17:54:00 CEST 2012

What is this error ? Have they changed the date binary ? Is it disabled at kernel level ?

Is there any other way to set the date using adb shell?

i cannot ask the developers of the rom for support because this will enable me to have a time reset on the apps and use them indefinitely. Which they wont like.

I have been looking at this
HTML:
http://thecodeartist.blogspot.in/2011/03/simulating-keyevents-on-android-device.html
but its very tedious and would not work as i have not seen the settings UI of the rom.

The options that i can think of is
1) back up the rom using trwp, install a new rom , change date in that rom and install back this rom.
But this process is quite risky and anything goes wrong. I will have to buy a new tab which i cannot afford right now.
2) back up the rom using twrp and install it on an emulator. But i cannot see a proper emulator for tab 3. The one available on samsung's website
HTML:
http://developer.samsung.com/android/tools-sdks/Samsung-GALAXY-Tab-Emulator
is not compatible with
HTML:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
. I tried to follow the instructions on Samsung's website but eclipse bundle has been updated and settings are not present as they describe.

I am choosing twrp because it has so many options. But it cannot change system time. Do you know a recovery that lets you change the date ?

M

moonbutt74

hmm

hey,

so are you asking for help to rip-off a developer ?

m

the_bond

Jan 7, 2013
i was asking for help in modifying a tab that i own. I guess thats what we do here ?
I was asking help on modifying system time, If u dont know how to do that its ok.
There are 20 different ways to rip developers off. You can just card there soft. You can find modded apks. etc

Please tell me you have never used a paid modded application.

M

moonbutt74

hmmm

@the_bond

hi,

trying to and or fixing stuff in xda yes.
the fine print of your question? no.
your attempt at deflecting what is an honest question AND as subtle a hint that i could make, is far less productive
than simply amending your initial query to be more...friendly. savvy?

m

Last edited:

PhlyingMonkey

Jan 11, 2014
I'd like to help too but I'm in the same boat as moonbutt74. This sounds rather dodgy.

What exactly is this custom ROM and why is it locked down the way it is? Answer this question honestly without deflecting the question and I might help you.