16GB to 32GB Upgrade?

Search This thread

ThatGeekGuy

May 27, 2010
I am picking up a 16GB A500 from Staples today (only $300 w/the coupon, woot!), and would like to upgrade the internal memory to 32GB. I'm certain that the memory is soldered to the board, but am curious if the existing memory requires replacement or if there is an empty location for another 16GB memory chip.

Has anyone tried this, and/or are there any photos of a torn-down A500? TIA for any inputs.

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
There is no vacant slot for another flash chip. There are plenty of pics of the internals, and even some teardown videos if you care to google.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
This like most all imbedded devices is what you have is what you get monotonous mentioned to be updated. So that software major ones willbforce youbto buy a new tablet sooner its the price we paybto have the next best thing

rstuckmaier

Jul 24, 2010
30 minutes south of 4G, Illnois
I recommend just putting in a 16GB or even 32GB microsd. They are a little weird the way you access them though. To save you some digging:

Your 16GB internal storage will come up under /sdcard/ while the external card is /mnt/external_sd (or something like that).

ThatGeekGuy

May 27, 2010
So if there isn't an open location on the board, that would require removing the current 16 GB chip and replacing it with a 32GB chip. No big deal.

I've already got a 16GB microSD, but some programs are stubborn about not moving to micro SD. This tab is a replacement for my gTab, I'll be rooting it soon and am not scared of internal upgrades.

ieee_raider

Jun 30, 2011
So if there isn't an open location on the board, that would require removing the current 16 GB chip and replacing it with a 32GB chip. No big deal.

I've already got a 16GB microSD, but some programs are stubborn about not moving to micro SD. This tab is a replacement for my gTab, I'll be rooting it soon and am not scared of internal upgrades.

I think you're confused...

There is 16GB internal AND you can ADD a 16GB memory card which gives you 32GB total. That is not 32GB internal, per se, even though it's all contained within the device physically.

Changing from 16GB to 32GB would require physically tearing apart the A500 then putting in the 32GB chip, which is an on board chip, not a simple micro-SD card.

You could also just add a 32GB micro-SD card and end up with 48GB total.

oxbeast1210

Dec 7, 2010
Guys/gals he seems to be aware about having to tear apart the iconia to add the memory in his first post he states that its soldered and later says hes not scared of internal upgrades
To answer your question from what I have seen you are correct you would have to de-solder and remove the 16gb chip and solder the 32 in its place . you are either very brave or have some good experience lol
let us know how the upgrade goes!

ehasoon

Oct 30, 2009
Guys/gals he seems to be aware about having to tear apart the iconia to add the memory in his first post he states that its soldered and later says hes not scared of internal upgrades
To answer your question from what I have seen you are correct you would have to de-solder and remove the 16gb chip and solder the 32 in its place . you are either very brave or have some good experience lol

I hear that, the impression that I got was that ThatGeekGuy was ready to dive in head first.

@ThatGeekGuy.. If I had the equipment I'd do exactly what you're trying to do, please let us know if you achieve what you set out to do!

wolfman8

Jul 6, 2011
nice Idea!
good luck

I would think about partitioning the chip and copying the OS onto it beforehand,
after all, even the recovery is on that chip

ieee_raider

Jun 30, 2011
I hear that, the impression that I got was that ThatGeekGuy was ready to dive in head first.

@ThatGeekGuy.. If I had the equipment I'd do exactly what you're trying to do, please let us know if you achieve what you set out to do!
I see that in the post as well, but I mean if someone really understands the impact of that then they probably wouldn't be on this forum asking questions about it. They would know that there's not an open slot... maybe that's a bad assumption on my part.

Just seems that the knowledge/skills necessary with replacing the onboard memory did not match the question being asked...

ThatGeekGuy

May 27, 2010
I'm aware that the memory upgrade involves teardown of the unit, and is not a simple plug-in like an SD card. My main curiosity was if it would require simple soldering of an additional chip, or removal and replacement of the existing one. Many boards (mobos, latops, tablets) have upgrade locations on the board layout, and only populate them based on what options are ordered. On my gTablet, the layout was on the board to accomodate a GPS circuit that was never populated. Some enterprising folks here on XDA figured out the components and code required to get it functional.

If it is a remove and replace upgrade, it can definitely be more challenging. As wolfman mentioned, the ROM is in the current chip. Hmmm, more research before jumping off this bridge :rolleyes: ....

Reactions: jesse321321

ieee_raider

Jun 30, 2011
I'm aware that the memory upgrade involves teardown of the unit, and is not a simple plug-in like an SD card. My main curiosity was if it would require simple soldering of an additional chip, or removal and replacement of the existing one. Many boards (mobos, latops, tablets) have upgrade locations on the board layout, and only populate them based on what options are ordered. On my gTablet, the layout was on the board to accomodate a GPS circuit that was never populated. Some enterprising folks here on XDA figured out the components and code required to get it functional.

If it is a remove and replace upgrade, it can definitely be more challenging. As wolfman mentioned, the ROM is in the current chip. Hmmm, more research before jumping off this bridge :rolleyes: ....

Good deal! Just wanted to make sure!

best of luck!

Reactions: jesse321321

jesse321321

Nov 16, 2011
Sahuarita

ThatGeekGuy, did you go thought with changing out your internal memory? I've been doing alot of research on how to crack the tablet open, swapping out the internal memory chip and adding a SIM card reader.

BrianDigital

He would also figure out how to boot up since his storage is blank

Sent from my ICONIA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good deal! Just wanted to make sure!

best of luck!