Development process

Search This thread

webfrm

Nov 16, 2006
OK so I'm really not sure why all the Galaxy S2s have ICS but the T-mobile version. So my question is who's responsible to develop the version for the T989, Samsung or T-mobile? I don't understand why the ATT version and the international version have had their ICS for so long and we have to work on porting a version. So if someone has knowledge as to the development cycle of software upgrades and who's responsible (carrier, manufacturer, Google) to get a version out to the phone can you let me know.

hazard99

Jun 13, 2009
The sprint and att versions are closer to the international version than ours are. Which allows them to get ports faster.

International is powered by the exynos soc
Tmobile version is powered by the qualcomm soc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Reactions: webfrm

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
The sprint and att versions are closer to the international version than ours are. Which allows them to get ports faster.

Basically ours is powered by **** and the other ones are powered by good ones.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

hazard99

Jun 13, 2009
They made a decision to give us an soc that had higher theoretical download speeds.

The note skyrocket and ours got screwed because they thought download speed was more important.

I cant be mad because I bought the phone knowing what soc it had.
It was either that or the amaze 4g.

Reactions: webfrm

webfrm

Nov 16, 2006
Thanks

Well thank you for all the information. So if Samsung is busy working on getting the Galaxy S III out then I guess it might be a while since ours is crap. I bought the T-Mobile version for two reasons:

1) Faster downloads (I get 12-14 megs /sec) so I was told that was faster than ATT would provide.
2) There is no overage charges.

So if I exceed my monthly cap my bill doesn't go up and next month it will reset back to 4G speed; I can live with a few days of slower speed if needed. Basically the T989 version is crappier and I'd been better off buying an international version off the internet instead of buying the phone from T-mobile. For example I went to Corning's site and thought it had Gorilla Glass too. I found out by researching XDA that indeed it doesn't. Well I guess I'm stuck for 2 years now. Really wish I had known that what I was purchasing was the stepchild version.

Thanks you everyone for explaining the issue. Guess I'll keep looking for a good ICS ROM on the forums.

Reactions: masamichi7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung builds it, T-Mobile tests it and adds their BS. Atleast that's my understanding

Basically ours is powered by **** and the other ones are powered by good ones.

Samsung builds it, T-Mobile tests it and adds their BS. Atleast that's my understanding

that is correct, for all carriers. Samsung releases touchwizzed stock ics with Samsung bloat, Carriers add more bloat, then OTA/send it to your phone

They made a decision to give us an soc that had higher theoretical download speeds.

The note skyrocket and ours got screwed because they thought download speed was more important.

I cant be mad because I bought the phone knowing what soc it had.
    It was either that or the amaze 4g.