[REF] *Blackstone Hints & Tips* - Things you may not have known. UPDATED 30th July.

Search This thread

tboy2000

Oct 21, 2006
London
Huawei Mate 20
Huawei Mate 20 X
If you can just tell them not to move. This is not a camera with a phone built in. Its a phone with a camera built in so sadly it cannot be a fantastic camera aswell. Yes you have 3 seconds to worry about stabalising the camera instead of pressing and holding the capture icon.

patrickNLgld

Feb 5, 2006
Utrecht
Adjust font popup menu

btw does anyone know the registry key to adjust the font size of the menu? Here it is :)

HKLM\System\GWE\Menu\PopFnt: Ht (change value to 900)

HKLM\System\GWE\Menu\PopFnt: Wt (change value to 600)

Gives a smaller popup menu. Just play something with those Ht and Wt values.

HDuser

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2005
Zürich, Switzerland
HI all

I created a wiki page with the first post
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Blackstone_tboy2000

It would be nice if somebody would update the formatting in the same manor that I have done for the first 3.

Then add the other post that tboy2000 made.

Seems like a real good peace of work, well done tboy2000 and thanks for it.

MOD Edit HDuser
Done by Screec, thanks

Last edited:

HDuser

Retired Moderator
Jan 3, 2005
Zürich, Switzerland
tboy2000

Nice work

Please dont forget to change the post count on the wiki page
"Last post from which WIKI was updated By HDuser 28/12/2008"

With the last post that you have delt with in the thread.
Also change your my name to yours and adjust the date.

This will allow others to know what is new in the thread that might not be on wiki.

sully28

Dec 17, 2008
Hi all, I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

Two things that are becoming a major pain with this phone.

1. Anyone know how to remove the call history tab from the home screen?
2. I also want to remove the redundant speaker icon from the top right hand side of the phone.

Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Hi all, I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

Two things that are becoming a major pain with this phone.

1. Anyone know how to remove the call history tab from the home screen?
2. I also want to remove the redundant speaker icon from the top right hand side of the phone.

Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

1. Just curious why the missed call info on your home screen could become your major pain??? How would you if you have any missed call with that removed?

2. I assume you're referring to the speaker that tells you if you're phone in mute or vibrate mode on the task bar? You find this redundant? Again, how else would you know such info after removing it?

Chris Cross

Nov 29, 2008
I took the liberty to add another tip (number 41) to the Wiki list.
Tip: How to unlock the first 6 shortcut slots in the programs tab so you can edit them like all the other ones.

sully28

Dec 17, 2008
1. Just curious why the missed call info on your home screen could become your major pain??? How would you if you have any missed call with that removed?

2. I assume you're referring to the speaker that tells you if you're phone in mute or vibrate mode on the task bar? You find this redundant? Again, how else would you know such info after removing it?

1 It's incredibly annoying in my opinion. It should only appear if you actually HAVE a missed call. From what I've read so far it may be possible to remove it but sill have the actual call history function on the phone. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=462736&highlight=alarm+clock

http://http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=462736&highlight=alarm+clock2. Again it's redundant and annoying.You can find out the status of your volume by simply pressing either volume button on the side of your phone. So the speaker icon is pointless.

Paul.Ferrari

Jan 14, 2008
Tip #26 - Fantastic, thanks for this, it's been driving me mad, having to zoom in to follow a link - Brilliant stuff.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
1 It's incredibly annoying in my opinion. It should only appear if you actually HAVE a missed call. From what I've read so far it may be possible to remove it but sill have the actual call history function on the phone. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=462736&highlight=alarm+clock

2. Again it's redundant and annoying.You can find out the status of your volume by simply pressing either volume button on the side of your phone. So the speaker icon is pointless.

LOL.

And you can start the calendar to look at all your appointment, so it is als redundant to show it on today screen?

Besides showing missed call, it also serves as a quick way to get into your call history.

Why go through the unneccesary step of pressing the button to know your status when an icon does a much better job?

To say it is a PAIN to have these extremely nice and useful features... I don't know what else to say. :rolleyes:

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Dialing a different number on Phone application

In many winmo device, touching the contact while in phone application opens up the contact details, allowing us to choose which telephone number to dial, to text, or sms. In HD however, touching the contact records dial the default telephone number. This number may not be the one that you wish to use.

In order to use a different number, slide the "m", "t" (etc) letter on the right hand side of the contact line. The top of the screen will show you the number.

In this way, you're able to choose the desired telephone number.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
Skipping and repeating songs in TF3D music (using wired headset)

Do you know that after starting the TF3D music, you could power off to blank the screen while keeping the music going? Also, as long as the music tab is in foreground task, the up and down volume button will no longer work as volume control but as Next Song and Previous Song button?

I don't alter the volume that much after setting it, so it's really handly to be able to control which song to play without powering on the device. I simply reach into my pocket and feel where the volume rocker button is and am able to skip and repeat songs without ever having to take it out of my pocket.:D

This is while using wired headset.

(edit: to have the above effect, I had to install S2U2, and make sure the setting for volume button is ON and it does not lock when the screen is blanked)

Last edited:

custardo01

Jul 17, 2007
London
Sometimes my HD hangs and is really doing nothing.

Mostly during use of Opera and sometimes as a result of invalid logins.

The 4 buttons on the bottom vibrate when touched,
but no other response.
Even after 30 minutes nothing happens.
Therefore, no software solutions is possible.
And so, this solution works fine for me.

Are you using opera in landscape mode?
Tip: for faster browsing use opera in portrait mode - it makes the HD a completely different phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    53. Set MP3 as a Ringtone
    In Windows Explorer, you can right click an mp3 file and choose to set it as a ringtone.

54. Improve Speed Access of Micro SD Card
    Most Micro SD cards come already formatted as FAT 32 using 32kb clusters. To speed up your Micro SD access, reformat your Micro SD card to use 64kb clusters instead of 32kb clusters (FAT 32 remains the same). Warning: formatting will permanently erase all data on your Micro SD card so be sure to copy all data on it to your PC and the copy them back again after the format. You can use SoftWinter's StorageTools app to reformat the card.

55. Use Titles Instead of URLs for Opera Bookmarks
    When adding and saving a new bookmark in Opera, be sure to let the web page fully load and THEN save it as a bookmark. Doing so, your bookmark will use the friendly title name for the web page. If you add a bookmark while the page is still loading, your bookmark will be using the url address as your bookmark's title.

56. Increase Frame Rate of Camera
    If you want to increase the FPS of the camera to speed up picture processing, just turn down the brightness to -1.5 or -2.0.

57. Increase Wrting Space in SMS
    Go to this site: http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm and download the 'arm/xscale/pxa'.cab file. Go into Explorer and run the cab file from wherever you saved it, and install it. Now go to Start > Programs and run 'Total Commander' that you just installed. Open the directory 'Windows' and scroll down to find 'thread_sms.htm'. With 'thread_sms.htm' highlighted click 'File' then 'Edit'. Scroll down through the file until you find the line
    '<Inbox:content id="COMPOSESUBJECT" width="98%" height=35'
    Change the value for height from 35 to 70 and then click 'File' then 'Save'. Soft reset the phone and your space for typing a message should be bigger.

58. Increase Speed and Fix Lag of Keyboard Tapping
    Use a registry editor to make the following changes. Go to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Keybd
    Find "InitialDelay"=dword: dec - change to 775
    Find "RepeatRate"=dword: dec - change to 23
    Also set the suggested words to a lower number such as 0 and disable auto-correction of words. Now you should no longer hvae misspleled wrods. :)

59. Increase Resolution of Panoramic Photos
    By default, panoramic photos are less than 1 mp. This registry tweak increases resolution to about 7 mp.
    Go to: HKLM/Software/HTC/Camera/P3
    Adjust MainCamCaptSize to 1024 and MainCamSupportCaptSize to 1744. Soft reset.

60. Quick Access to Manila Alarm Page
    You can go direct to the Alarm page from the Manila Home screen by tapping the alarm info text in the lower right corner below the flip clock.

61. How to Calibrate Screen if Stylus Can't Navigate the OS
    To align screen if it is not usable, press and hold Vol Up and Vol Down buttons together and tap the screen. You are now automatically taken to the screen calibration screen.

62. Improve Suggested T9 Dictionary With Custom Words
    The Blackstone has a very useful hidden application in the Windows directory. You need to unhide hidden system and Rom files in order to find it and you can do this by using a 3rd party file explorer such as 'Resco File Explorer'. Find the file "eT9MyWords.exe" in the Windows directory and add a shortcut to this file in your Windows/Start Menu folder.

When in the application, add the most common words you use when using the keypad such as names, locations, user names, email addresses and other words not common in the standard T9 dictionary. For example if you are based in London, UK you could add the following locations:

Leicester, Piccadilly, Tottenham, Soho, Charring, Euston, Trafalgar, Clapham

and words such as BRB, DVD, coz, lol, xoxo, username@hotmail.com, ciao, etc.

63. Quick Access to Last Manila Tab
    Go direct to the last tab of Manila by flicking towards the right anywhere on the screen above the tabbed scroll bar

64. Add Favicons to your Opera Bookmarks
    Make sure a bookmarked web page is fully loaded and save and overwrite your existing bookmark with the same title to also save the favicon icon for that bookmark. This even works with pre-installed bookmarks. Just save as the same bookmark title. You can only see the icons when accessing the bookmark page through Opera and not through Manila.

* Latest update: Added entries 60-64

MOD Edit HDuser
    All entries up to number 52 have now been added to wiki
    Probably gone unnoticed because of the new thread:

Take a tiny drill, remove the backcover from the Touch HD
    and drill a tiny hole in the backcover on the exact spot where the reset button is.
    Re-attach the backcover on your HD.
    Use a paperclip everytime you need to reset your device.
    Works like a charm, no hassle of removing the backcover anymore.
    Don't understand why HTC didn't do that.....

Or install the HD Tweaks utility. The latest version also provides a HD Soft reset option in your start menu. No need to drill anything.
    Take a tiny drill, remove the backcover from the Touch HD
    and drill a tiny hole in the backcover on the exact spot where the reset button is.
    Re-attach the backcover on your HD.
    Use a paperclip everytime you need to reset your device.
    Works like a charm, no hassle of removing the backcover anymore.
    Don't understand why HTC didn't do that.....

HTC doesn't do that because they think that Diamond user use it too many time (so they need to use it)
    On HD their rom are really stable, so why have a reset button when concurrent doesn't have it ? it's a proof of weakness.
    So just hide it :)