[Q] SGS2 slow to close apps - 6secs!!! :(

Search This thread

hopoffbaby

Jul 5, 2010
Hello All,

My girlfriend just got a new Orange SGS2. The phone is great, really slim, fast at playing games, high linpack score etc.

However there is a problem that really bothers me, apps load pretty much instantly however when you press the home button they take ~6 seconds to close!

This happens with even the most basic apps such as the dialler or contacts and is very frustrating as I am sure the SGS2 should be performing better than this. My HTC Desire (and even my old HTC hero to a slightly lesser extent) closes apps pretty much instantly :confused:

Hope the gurus of XDA can help with this one.

Many thanks,
hopoffbaby

UncleScar

May 20, 2008
West Sussex
Okay, the reason your old phone shut them instantly was because it needed to free up resources.
The SGS2 is a far superior phone in terms of spec and as such it doesn't need to shut its apps the moment you hit home.

Android is very capable to say the least when managing its resources so stop watching the task-manager and RAM usage, don't use a task killer and just enjoy life with the SGS2 it'll never struggle.
Mine regularly has 15+ apps running in the background with no noticeable effect on its stunning performance.

hopoffbaby

Jul 5, 2010
Hi,

I think you have misunderstood me. I'm not talking about the kernel killing the apps to free memory, I'm talking about how long it take to return to the home screen after pressing the home (or back) button.

For example, I open the contacts app and it loads instantly. When i click the home button I can count to 6 (slowly) before I am back at the home screen.... :eek: It is incredibly annoying and I am sure it is not how Samsung intended??

Thanks again,
hopoffbaby

hopoffbaby

Jul 5, 2010
Hi,

I was hoping to avoid a factory reset. I have read a few people are having issues (none seem to be as long as 6 seconds though) and that it may be related to the voice control or the touchwiz launcher?

Any thoughts on that?

thanks

hopoffbaby

Jul 5, 2010
Hi,

I toggled the driving mode on and off again and that seems to have go the delay down to around 2 seconds which is a massive improvement, although still not ideal I don't think. What I don't understand however is that the driving mode wasn't on in the first place so why did this make a difference?

Does anyone know what driving mode actually does?

Thanks,
hopoffbaby