Google Play Update?

Search This thread

Torrential91

Nov 23, 2011
Florida
I know it's not absolutely necessary, but is there any way to update the Market to Google Play on the NT? Would it be as simple as sideloading an apk?

I realize the Market will probably function fine without the update, I'm simply curious.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nook Tablet using (((sonicboom)))

AlySedai

Mar 8, 2012
I couldn't get my marketplace to work after Play came out, and I updated using an .apk, and it still wouldn't work. I kept getting the window that said something about needing to tie it to my google account, and when I clicked "Yes" to do that, it kicked me back out of the app. :(

cliffmidnite

Mar 25, 2010
I know it's not absolutely necessary, but is there any way to update the Market to Google Play on the NT? Would it be as simple as sideloading an apk?

I realize the Market will probably function fine without the update, I'm simply curious.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nook Tablet using (((sonicboom)))

My market updated itself to Google play two days ago automatically. Everything is working as normal. I am on CM7 alpha12 though, but I would assume it would also update on the stock rom. Maybe you can go into market and do a check for updates and it will update market app

sent from my Nook Tablet 16GB Cyanogenmod alpha

Birdsbeaks

Jan 18, 2012
Miami, Florida
My market just updated, but only after I cleared the market app's cache AND data. I had tried clearing the cache only, and it didn't update. After I cleared cache, data, and force stopped the app; when I started market again it updated to "play store".

Side note: I couldn't stand looking at the new logo, so I edited the shortcut on the desktop to display the "correct" Android market logo.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

jzmummy

Mar 16, 2012
Can't open Android market/Google Play app

I couldn't get my marketplace to work after Play came out, and I updated using an .apk, and it still wouldn't work. I kept getting the window that said something about needing to tie it to my google account, and when I clicked "Yes" to do that, it kicked me back out of the app. :(

I am getting the same error of "You must add an account to the device to continue. Do you want to add one now?" and when I click on "Yes" or "No", it closes the app. Anyone have a fix? Already tried uninstall/reinstalling, clearing all cache, etc, and force stop...nothing.

cliffmidnite

Mar 25, 2010
Are you installing a new google play apk or the old market? Everytime i installed gapps after foashing a rom, the market just updated itself to google plau without putting my account info back in.

sdent from my Nook Tablet 16GB Cyanogenmod alpha

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
I'm running 1.4.1 rooted and it auto updated to Google Play a few days ago and I never had a problem. Market continued normally for me.

aRc.

Mar 12, 2012
Only just started this, but it force closes when updating or downloading. Uninstalled through Titanium. Reinstalled an old APK, updated; no dice! Anyone else getting this? It seems that only updating or downloading forces the crash, browsing isn't a problem.

[edit] I think Google is having issues with the Market, tapping HELP takes me to this page;

SC20120320_204856.png

(update) I do apologise, I must attempt all possibilities before requesting assistance. If this happens to anyone else, have you installed Adfree Android? If so, this was my problem. I fixed this by reverting it's settings and uninstalling.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

Last edited:

Know-Fear

Jan 9, 2010
If you are still not updated, go into settings/manage apps open up the market, clear cache and data. Then relog into market. It should update within a few minutes.

lostatlimbo

Apr 29, 2012
I am getting the same error of "You must add an account to the device to continue. Do you want to add one now?" and when I click on "Yes" or "No", it closes the app. Anyone have a fix? Already tried uninstall/reinstalling, clearing all cache, etc, and force stop...nothing.

I'm having this problem too. Just happened recently. Everything worked fine before, but now I cannot access the Google Market or any Google-related apps (Gmail, Music, etc).

I used t-r-i-c-k's root for the Mac (including the OTA update block). Its been working like a charm until this. I did reboot the device, but the B&N update still seems to be blocked correctly (software version still says 9.9.9).

I also noticed that Superuser is no longer accessible. If I manually browse to the Market (via Dolphin), it says Superuser is already installed, but I can't find it on the device through any means.

I also tried downloading the Superuser fix app, as well as GApps (through Dolphin). Both said they were installing, but none of them are actually downloading to the device.

So I'm stuck. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

spcagigas

Jan 20, 2010
Metro Detroit
I also noticed that Superuser is no longer accessible. If I manually browse to the Market (via Dolphin), it says Superuser is already installed, but I can't find it on the device through any means.

I also tried downloading the Superuser fix app, as well as GApps (through Dolphin). Both said they were installing, but none of them are actually downloading to the device.

So I'm stuck. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It sounds like you lost root access and need to re-root. The Market/Play Store doesn't actually inventory what you have on your device, it only keeps a record of what you've installed. Apps that you've removed via the 'manage apps' setting option will continue to appear as installed in the Market/Play Store.