Headphones with Mic for Note

Search This thread

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
Really? So does that mean that most earphones with mic + volume that was designed for the iphones will work on non-samsung android phones? Because no matter what retail store i go, most earbuds with mic and volume rocker specifically indicates it was made for iphones. The only dedicated 3rd party earbuds i saw in "retail stores" is the kplish s4a (i think), it said it on the box but it was like $99. If that is true, wow that sucks for us samsung android phone owners :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

derrick_

Sep 14, 2010
Really? So does that mean that most earphones with mic + volume that was designed for the iphones will work on non-samsung android phones? Because no matter what retail store i go, most earbuds with mic and volume rocker specifically indicates it was made for iphones. The only dedicated 3rd party earbuds i saw in "retail stores" is the kplish s4a (i think), it said it on the box but it was like $99. If that is true, wow that sucks for us samsung android phone owners :(

No. Most use a special iPhone specific functionality

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
No. Most use a special iPhone specific functionality

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

I'm just talking about the basic functions - Mic, Volume control + a click button. Those usually cost like $9-$15 (Skullcandy, etc)

I'm not talking about those fancy ones with skip track and stuff like that. As I look at it, those 3rd party earphones are exactly the same with the OEM Apple earphones (mic+volume rocker). No other "special" Iphone specific function you are mentioning, unless I'm missing something.

Anyway, I just tried my wife's iPhone headphones with mic + volume rocker and it did not work on my co-workers Droid Maxx and HTC Evo 4G. Mic and Volume rocker is not working. The only thing that is working is the click button (pause tracks).

On the other hand, I tried my wife's old iPhone earphones with *MIC* only (No volume rocker). It works on everything (Note, Maxx, Evo). Mic works and click button.

The way I look at it, once you add volume rocker hardware on "made-for-iPhone" 3rd party earphones, the mic will also not work. If it was just a mic functionality and no hardware volume rocker installed, it will work both in Android + iPhones.

I don't think it is just a Samsung only thing. Again, I'm just talking about MIC + Volume rocker since that is all what I really need. However, I think I read that Samsung jacks have different pins or something.

I really find it disturbing that these manufacturers won't make Android compatible earphones or at least put it in the box. Its all about iPhones/iPad/iTouch on the labels :(

I guess I have to find a cheap earphones that has an independent volume rocker with a mic that works on my Note.

btw Thanks for replying. :D

Last edited:

nyrican779

Aug 17, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa
I use a pair of plantronics Bluetooth stereo headsets I love them, no wires to get caught anywhere, when using the phone people hear me clearly even while driving with windows down. While listening to music I get great sound I can higher the volume, skip tracks, I could also use my hands free voice controls.. I bought it a while back for $99 but seen it for way cheaper. Might be worth trying out.
47af91f9-0f57-6954.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

hashbrown

Aug 15, 2006
The headphones out of the box from the samsung galaxy skyrocket works just fine. Great sound quality and people can hear you
Through the mic. I just got the sky rocket for my wife and was lied to in my face by the sales rep and manager that the headphones would not work on the note. They tried to sell me on 100 dollar pair of dr dre beats earbuds. Said nothing else would work. Whatever. If you can find some sky rockets or maybe even galaxy s 2 stock earphones they work great.

Last edited:
The headphones out of the box from the samsung galaxy skyrocket works just fine. Great sound quality and people can hear you
Through the mic. I just got the sky rocket or my wife and was lied to in my face by the sales rep and manager that the headphones would not work on the note. They tried to sell me on 100 dollar pair of dr dre beats earbuds. Said nothing else would work. Whatever. If you can find some sky rockets or maybe even galaxy s 2 stock earphones they work great.

I have power beats and
studio beats by dre. Neither Mic works on the note, but both work on my tmo s2. Shrug

hashbrown

Aug 15, 2006
6ceb51d7-256f-0c42.jpg

Just confirming that these earphones will play (ofcourse)and allow you to use the mic. The rocker isn't working for volume or skip tracks. Just pauses music when you toggle it. I don't know if this is hardware or software related. maybe someone with the skyrocket rom port can confirm.

Last edited:

SweetRedVoice

Feb 16, 2012
I just tried my Zagg headphones and the paus/play/forward/back button works. I would recommend these headphones if you can find them for cheap, especially since they replace them if they stop working. I don't think they are worth full price.

±1 Thanks! I resurrected my old Zagg Smartbuds that i used with my iPhone. They work like a charm. Great sound, voice quality over the Mic is also good. Even the volume and music controls work. I got those with a 50% off coupon but I have seen them as low as $19.99 on Amazon.

Sent from my gNote using Taptalk

Theoriginalgiga

Nov 22, 2010
Sacramento
So I know I've commented on headphones plenty of times in this forum, but the headphones I'm using seem to fit most categories that I've been seeing people ask for. Here's the 3 headphones I bought and my feelings on them:

Radius Atomic Bass 2 Earbuds with Mic
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046SN13U/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01
Price $30

These are my daily users. they fit well in my ears, they're light and built really well. The wire seems to coil a little but I'm usually moving while wearing them so I would chalk it up to that. They have a mic and button both work with my stock unrooted note. It does answer the phone, it can pause and skip forward and back in both the stock music player and pandora (well not back in Pandora lol). They have a good overall sound through bass to treble. I can see someone saying the trebles are muffled, but I generally don't like loud trebles. the Bass is crazy good and clean. I use these for both my Ipod and Note and the only time I got any distortion is when I turned it up to max on my note, was using an equalizer gearing to bass amplified the bass (equalizer is the name of the app if you're interested) but at that level the bass gave me a headache so they're decent. It's also worth noting, the earphones are weirdly designed, but allow you to wear them in 3 different positions to accommodate. For me, they will fallout if I have my ipod or note in my pocket as the cord isn't super long and will tug at them as I move. I'm also a tall fat man and use the medium cushions so I can hear a little better so that could the problem.

Scosche Increased Dynamic Range Noise-Isolation Earphones with tapLINE II Remote and Mic
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036ORMR6/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00
$40

These are my girlfriend's headphones. They again work with the note in the same fashion as the one above, the volume controls do NOT work with the note and to be honest I have 4 android devices at my house and volume controls havent worked for any of them so I'm not so sure if it's android or the devices. These by far sound the best of all 3 I bought, the trebles are crisper and the mids feel a little more full but the bass isn't quite as impressive as atomic bass. I didn't detect any noticeable distortion as I cranked it up. The cord is made very well and is the one least likely to get tangled (which is good as my gf just tosses her ipod on the couch and they've been sat on many times). The earphones are heavy and don't quite fit comfortable for me, but my gf who is much smaller than I says I'm crazy. It's worth noting that the holding case these come with is crap, my gf stole my case for my Atomics and uses that.

MEElectronics M6-CL
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0K2U/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i00
$20

These are the cheapest and don't really apply here as they don't have any control on them at all and no mic. But I mention them as they're $20 and sound good but at the tail end of the pack. These have the best case by far and if you use the initial tips it feels like your brain is being probed. they feel like ear plugs and have the same dampening effect. I bought them to fit under my helmet and they do that well and don't budge but the sound isolation was scarry good on these and I couldn't hear anything around me. (I don't condone nor endorse wearing headphones while riding anything, I'm just a dumbass).

If I were to repurchase any of these it would be the atomic bass hands down without hesitation.

Reactions: Swaggsolo

macqueyl

Aug 10, 2006
USA - CA, San Jose
I have a pair of overear Monster Beats DJ headphones w/talk only cable from another pair of headphones.

I also have a pair of red/white NoiseHush NX80s earbuds, which come in a few different color combinations. They have the flat tangle-free talk cord and are really nice & reasonably priced. The call clarity is clear and they have enhanced bass. The other cool factor is that not many people know about them, so you don't see a whole bunch of people with the same ones you have.

http://www.amazon.com/NoiseHush-NX8...P238P0/ref=de_a_smtd?ie=UTF8&m=A247PZVOETE1YA

dcfella

Sep 15, 2010
Got a pair of Soul 150's and the mic works well. It comes with 2 cords, one regular and one that is ipod ready with the controls. Both work with voice calls. The iPod cord's middle button skips to the next song if you double tap it, but the forward and backward buttons do nothing.

Sound quality has been nice and clear, with decent bass.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B004Z57WDO

There's the link. Luckily, I got a brand new pair for $80 from the Microsoft store in my area thanks to all those freebie gift cards they've been giving out over the past several months.

ricktat

Nov 14, 2011
I am now using the Skull Candy Smokin Buds. I am stock and using the free Klipsch App from the market.

Mic works, foward, reverse track, stop, call answer, Volume up and down. All with the single button just like the Klipsch S4A's.

These are on sale this week at Best buy for $24.99

I have the Klipsch S4A's and even for the $70 I paid for them they didn't seem worth it. The sound was good as long as you put them so far into your ear it was painful.

Reactions: ARTAQaf

neko_tensai

Jun 11, 2012
This may seem silly but it works. It is obviously for home usage or office usage but you could wear it around town and be a total nerd. There are two included adapters that come in VERY handy with any other headsets, phones and computers. The voice quality is good, boom mic and audio in both ears, plus it has a volume control in the line. Using voip, skype, GV and other com solutions is enhanced with this, as without it sometimes they are not usable. I have a neck injury and require headsets for phone, this one has saved me with various phones, work and mobile included.

http://www.officemax.com/technology...sku=22358495&gclid=CMHVnOLC1rACFUSK4AodeCYT3w

The second one I use is a Koss iSpark, very low frequency response and cushioned ear fitting earbuds that cancel ambient noise very very well. They are daily music earbuds and double as phone, in which case I take 1 out of my ear and tuck into the collar of my shirt while the one with the mic on the wire stays in my ear for obvious reasons. Again, it is the Koss iSpark. Now, there may be an issue with echo on the other parties call, I have just heard mention of it today. You will easily be able to block outside noise, NYC MTA included. The bass response is very good, of course Ive not bought expensive ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-iSpark-iPhone-Stereophone-Black/dp/B001D6ZACI

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

ok, I did not see that officemax is advertising the exact same headset in the ads on this site... that is weird... i just saw that and Ive had this headset for a year.

k1an.n3atg3ek

Oct 11, 2010
Somewhere in the US
Hello everyone, Need some advice on picking up a pair of headphones that I can use to listen to music and also make calls. Apart from the Klipsch made specifically for Android, is there anything else out on the market? I really wanted the bose but read on a few sites that they dont full function correctly. I have iPhone buds that I can listen to music but the mic does not work but work fine with my Nexus S.

I am using the stock headset that came with the samsung infuse - noise-cancelling headset. I try the apple headset but it is not compatible with the phone.

SteveSlimer

Apr 13, 2010
Chicago
There must be something wrong with my plug. I've tried two headsets from previous Samsung phones and now some Soul sl99's and nobody can hear me when I use the microphone.

I could care less about the controls.

ricktat

Nov 14, 2011
There must be something wrong with my plug. I've tried two headsets from previous Samsung phones and now some Soul sl99's and nobody can hear me when I use the microphone.

I could care less about the controls.

The Soul Mic didn't work on my phone either. The Skull Candy Smokin buds does work for me.

JeremyE77

Jun 17, 2009
Your Beats, your Bose, Your Skullcandy...all the headphones "made for iPhone" that have a microphone that does not work can be fixed super easy. It took a lot of google work to find this.

Whilst you are plugging the headphone into the device hold the primary button ( middle button idk its exact name) down on the headsets inline set while inserting the plug.

Hold down button...continue to hold while plugging in = working microphone + whatever buttons the software you are using poll for.

Works on my Beats Tour, Some Shure headphones, Bose Mie2i, & and even a pair of novelty headphones.

Your Beats, your Bose, Your Skullcandy...all the headphones "made for iPhone" that have a microphone that does not work can be fixed super easy. It took a lot of google work to find this.

Whilst you are plugging the headphone into the device hold the primary button ( middle button idk its exact name) down on the headsets inline set while inserting the plug.

Hold down button...continue to hold while plugging in = working microphone + whatever buttons the software you are using poll for.

Works on my Beats Tour, Some Shure headphones, Bose Mie2i, & and even a pair of novelty headphones.

Don't tell me that after I sold my power beats because the Mic didn't work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I use these

amazon.com/V-MODA-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Universal-One-Button/dp/B002XYUHFY/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330051591&sr=1-12

They work great with my Note.
    I just tried my Zagg headphones and the paus/play/forward/back button works. I would recommend these headphones if you can find them for cheap, especially since they replace them if they stop working. I don't think they are worth full price.

Tried my Bose AE2 and the play/pause/forward/back button works but not the volume controls.
    Fyi i saw in a development thread that the Mic and button issue is a software issue and someone had posted a fix. Ill sweet if i can find it tomorrow.

Bump for the fix. My good Apple headphones don't work during phone calls either. :(
    Ok Tried again with my B& W C5, and the hold trick actually worked, the only downside is that I loose the ability to skip/paude tracks with the remote

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

There's some apps on the store that can help with that. My concern is the Mic working.