[Q] How do I root the Samsung Galaxy Light SGH T399

Search This thread

jasamour

Nov 26, 2012
Two completely different phones. Please don't "help" any further.

I didn't suggest that in the first place. You're being rude and hasty to shun help when you don't even know me and what I'm capable of.

Who are you to point fingers? All you're doing is moving us away from the point of this thread (TO ACHIEVE ROOT ON THE T399). If you continue this unnecessary energy, I will no longer reply. Try helping instead of judging, that might work better for all of us.

Proud2banoob

Jul 12, 2013
Durham
Google Pixel 6a
Someone root this phone, it's tearing the community apart! Lol

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Maybe we need to include that info as part of our plea to Samsung for the source code? Please, please, oh great Android gods, provide us with the source code for this diminuative powerhouse of a phone, that we may cease rending our little community asunder!!!

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Hate to break it to you guys but kernel source doesnt mean you guys will be much closer with root. the key part of all that is still going to be missing and thats the ramdisk, which you cant get without having a copy of teh boot kernel either by dumping by root or having an odin tar.

my suggestion is see what kies says about your device and restoring it, if it lets you then you can grab the tar it downloads ;)

edit: dont suppose anyone for giggles has tried this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

awd_fan

Dec 24, 2013
Hate to break it to you guys but kernel source doesnt mean you guys will be much closer with root. the key part of all that is still going to be missing and thats the ramdisk, which you cant get without having a copy of teh boot kernel either by dumping by root or having an odin tar.

my suggestion is see what kies says about your device and restoring it, if it lets you then you can grab the tar it downloads ;)

edit: dont suppose anyone for giggles has tried this? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

Source code is useless to most people. The recovery image, at least, or better, the whole stock firmware package is what I want.

Tried Kies. "SGH-T399 is not supported for updating via Kies". Probably because there is no update yet. I'm thinking it'll be March or April before we see an update.

saferoot did not work for me.

I'm exploring an idea with ADB Backup that may (low probability) work, feel free to chime in if you have any insight.
Somewhat simplified:
"ADB backup -all -apk"
extract the contents of the .ab file
add su binary to /system/xbin
edit the manifest and repack
"ADB restore (ab filename)"
Install Superuser.apk
Extracting/editing will have to be done on a Linux box, I wouldn't try this in Windows.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
Source code is useless to most people. The recovery image, at least, or better, the whole stock firmware package is what I want.

yea but samsung doesnt release that, its through kies or leaked. and since kies is erroring out it doesnt leave much for hope. shame about saferoot.

I'm exploring an idea with ADB Backup that may (low probability) work, feel free to chime in if you have any insight.
Somewhat simplified:
"ADB backup -all -apk"
extract the contents of the .ab file
add su binary to /system/xbin
edit the manifest and repack
"ADB restore (ab filename)"
Install Superuser.apk
Extracting/editing will have to be done on a Linux box, I wouldn't try this in Windows.

unfortunately it doesnt work, bin4ry's adb backup root used a timing glitch to inject root but that was patched in 4.2 and back ported. besides that i dont believe it actually backs up the whole system just the data from system apks.

tazmaniondvl

Sep 11, 2012
Phoenix
Im willing to try anything, just got this to replace my SGH-T679 and even without root, this phone blows it out of the water. I can only imagine what we can achieve with root and an OCed rom/kernel.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

afsharmirzayi

Dec 25, 2013
sgh-t399 firmware

the octopus give t399 firmware but i don,t have octopus
who can convert octopus firmware to original firmware

tazmaniondvl

Sep 11, 2012
Phoenix
Is this true?

"I would if not for the fact there is no development for it and it has a locked bootloader which means it will never get a custom ROM unless it's TW based. But yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about it. Sure beats the Exhibit which unfortunately isn't hard to do as we all know so well. :p"

Edit: haha answered my own question thank you Google!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...d-bootloader-on-att-and-verizon-lg-g2-models/

Sent from my SGH-T399 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

tazmaniondvl

Sep 11, 2012
Phoenix
im currently trying every root method out there, and so far none have worked. i wonder if its because our bootloader is locked anyone have insight?

jasamour

Nov 26, 2012

I found this too. The official statement from this product saying they've added support for Samsung SGH-T399 is posted in a GSM forum HERE. The OP has some youtube videos showing the software and unlocking the phone's IMEI and stuff.

However, there is a note: Before performing "Direct Unlock" ("Repair IMEI", "Repair Network", "Read Security", "Write Security", "Read EFS", "Write EFS") operation for SGH-T399, you need to root the phone manually or write special firmware "SGH-T399_for_Unlock_and_IMEI_Repair" from Support Area.

Plus, one of the first replies to the tread was a user who tried it on the T399. I joined the site and asked this user who had successfully unlocked his phone using this software if this was legit. Turns out he managed to unlock the phone, but has not tried root. He suggested for me to try flashing the support file which has root incorporated. I told him to send me the flash file, if he can. We'll see what happens. That flash file might have what we need to get in. It might not work because their files come in proprietary extensions (Octopus – OCT files for Octopus Box).

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
I found this too. The official statement from this product saying they've added support for Samsung SGH-T399 is posted in a GSM forum HERE. The OP has some youtube videos showing the software and unlocking the phone's IMEI and stuff.

However, there is a note: Before performing "Direct Unlock" ("Repair IMEI", "Repair Network", "Read Security", "Write Security", "Read EFS", "Write EFS") operation for SGH-T399, you need to root the phone manually or write special firmware "SGH-T399_for_Unlock_and_IMEI_Repair" from Support Area.

Plus, one of the first replies to the tread was a user who tried it on the T399. I joined the site and asked this user who had successfully unlocked his phone using this software if this was legit. Turns out he managed to unlock the phone, but has not tried root. He suggested for me to try flashing the support file which has root incorporated. I told him to send me the flash file, if he can. We'll see what happens. That flash file might have what we need to get in. It might not work because their files come in proprietary extensions (Octopus – OCT files for Octopus Box).

if he is able to root using it i can port cwm and everyone can root then.

GJSmith3rd

May 6, 2008
Chicago
OnePlus 8
OK - Since I can't delete this accidental and redundant post created with the Tapatalk app, without mod or admin assistance, I'll just post another link regarding hard resetting:

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Maybe these YouTube videos can help?

Last edited:
Reactions: GalaxySmokes

dannymac77

Apr 4, 2011
Love following thread. Every device I've owned was always established as root before I owned. Very fascinating watching as it develops. Hoping for a happy ending and am willing to beta or alpha? test any solutions the community comes up with. Also will throw a little cash don at anyone as way of saying thanks. Cheers and good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooted kernel
    Stock kernel
    Root your device script

1) install supersu from teh market
    2) flash rooted kernel in odin
    3) boot up and enable usb debugging
    4) run the rooting batch script to root your phone
    5) flash stock kenrle back to get wifi etc back
    6) enjoy root.

i need someone to then run this command in adb shell or teminal emulator

adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/dw_mmc.0/by-name/RECOVERY of=/sdcard/stock-t399-recovery.img
    So much misinformation being spread around, a locked bootloader only blocks the install of custom images, not root. should you guys have a locked bootloader youll be the first locked samsung device on tmobile, the only way youll know is when someone flashes a custom kernel.

source code helps you with nothing as i said :/, odin images come from either kies or are leaked i would suggest reaching out to samfirmware.com instead as samsung will ignore you. motochopper would never work on this as it has an exynos cpu and motochopper is for qualcomm. so exploits more like exynos abuse or framaroot are ones you should look at but i doubt any of them will work.

flashing modded images via odin will work, however youve no way to make them without teh stock files, you cant dump them without using dd (which needs root). its a rather vicious cycle, but once you get root and get cwm you are set for life :/
    Samsung replied to my message!

The source code has been posted here: http://opensource.samsung.com/

Search for "SGH-T399".

:laugh:
    For what it's worth to the other developers I got Alex from androidfilehost.com to add this device so if you wanna upload stuff you can now do it there

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app