[Q] Kindle Fire HD 7" Problems with Android Composite ADB Interface

Search This thread

phlanagan

Feb 24, 2014
Hello. At first this may seem like I have not done my due diligence, and am posting a duplicated problem I have seen posted all over about using ADB to connect to a Kindle Fire HD 7' (mine is 2nd gen). I have installed jave/android sdks, eclipse, have updated everything, read through countless threads, followed amazon instructions to set up my environment for running apps on my kindle. The emulator is set up and runs. Here is where I am having serious issues:
My Kindle when I started showed up under portable devices in the device manager. I uninstalled the driver and have tried both the Kindle drivers from extras/amazon as well as google usb drivers. (I also even tried changing the google driver .inf file to include code for a Kindle).
This is where my problems seems to be unique to the countless thread posts I have read through. The drivers for both methods result in the driver showing "Android ADB Interface" without the Composite keyword. I have manually changed the driver by selecting to locate it myself. The only three options read "Android ADB Interface" each. I uncheck the box for "Show compatible hardware" and two more options appear:
"Android Composite ADB Interface Version: 1.3.1000.0 [12/3/2012]"
and
"Android Composite ADB Interface Version: 1.0.0.0 [8/20/2012]"
I have tried both. ADB devices from the cmd prompt still list zero devices.
If I update the driver to let Windows search for it in the amazon or google locations, it always gets (updated?) changed to just "Android ADB Interface".
This is driving me crazy. Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it or any links I can try reading.
Thanks in advance.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Try the drivers in my signature, but as I remember it is supposed to say what you are seeing as the device name. I use Linux most of the time so I don't have any issues but I'm pretty sure that android adb interface is what windows lists it as.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

phlanagan

Feb 24, 2014
Thanks for a quick response.

Try the drivers in my signature, but as I remember it is supposed to say what you are seeing as the device name. I use Linux most of the time so I don't have any issues but I'm pretty sure that android adb interface is what windows lists it as.

Hey Stunts. Thanks for a response. I tried using your usb drivers from your signature. The updated driver list changed to list the Device as Android Device and the Driver as Android ADB Interface. It used to list the Device as Kindle, and the Driver as Android Composite ADB Interface. I ran ADB with your driver and it still lists nothing under connected devices (in the cmd).

Just to clarify: yes, ADB is enabled on the kindle (under security), and also it allows installation of applications from unknow sources (under Device).
Also, I can use ADB with other Android phones on my same setup. So this, I am assuming, is some sort of driver issue(s)?
Thanks.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Interesting, usually when it shows up as an MTP device and a adb device there's also a composite USB device under USB devices, check for a composite USB device with a vid of 1949 and try uninstalling it if you find it, and then search for new devices and see what happens.