Slow 3G speeds with new EVO

Search This thread

tracerit

Jan 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
I picked up a refurbed EVO Tuesday and immediately rooted it. I later found out that the 3G is really slow, i'm only getting .05-.1Mbps through speedtest.net's app but the actual experience feels much slower. Switching to 4G or wifi will yield appropriate speeds.

I thought maybe it was the ROMs but i went back to the stock ROM, Myn's ROM, and Fresh's ROMs and they all had slow 3G speeds.

Any ideas on what's up? My last resort would be to unroot it and bring it back for them to check it out :/

fixxxer2008

Jun 22, 2008
West Michigan
it's not your phone as sprint is having random outages right now with voice & data. your not alone.

i also believe they also may be doing some sort of network change due to the big announcement they will have here shortly. i could be wrong on that but i have a feeling that's whats causing the issues.

aliaselchore

Feb 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Try this by gokuman56. His post his credit. Is great and it works.

You will need your MSL, Call Sprint or follow this:

1. Dial ##3282#
2. It will open a menu, click WiMAX and enter MSL. Note: 4G radio must be on.
3. Go to extensions and Hold EntryRX and Write Extension
4. Change the Value to -110 (The Lower the weaker the signal can be for the phone to connect.
5. Change EntryCINR to 0004
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are tired of the Radio taking forever to reconnect once you loose your 4G signal, then:
1. Change Scan Retries to 00015
2. Change Scan attempt timeout to 0002

You will now have a somewhat faster and much stronger 4G signal!!!

EDIT: Easier Way to get MSL. Okay so you have to download connectbot from the Market
1. Open ConnectBot
2. Agree Next Next Yada Yada
3. Press SSH and select Local
4. type in whatever you want by local and press enter
5. ok once you see a black screen and to the left a cash sign, type in "getprop" without the quotes
6. You should see a lot of words, scroll up all the way at the top.
7. Near the middle of the screen until you see [ril.MSL]
8. It will be 6 digits and that's your MSL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For 3G Try This..
It may already be implemented in your ROM, just check again:
Steps:
1. Know the MSL
2. Dial ##3282#
3. Go to multimedia
4. HTTPPD Proxy Port must be 0
5. HTTPPD Proxy Address must be 0.0.0.0

The 3G hack was found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=922978

For the EVO a similar 4G hack has been discovered here.

Sent from My PC36100 on the great x1 MetroPCS network

bsims85

Feb 9, 2008
If you are rooted, the easiest way to get your MSL is to download the MSL Reader app right from the market.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

skillzo1

Sep 17, 2009
Guess this is what i have to look forward to when i replace my current evo with horrible 3g speeds. They think a new evo may solve the problem....i think not.

tracerit

Jan 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
fixed! re-provisioning worked. i had to do ##3282#, Edit, Data, Menu, Restore. It rebooted my phone and now i'm back to 1Mbps download speeds :p Thanks for the link and help everyone

Reactions: mercado79

speedy0339

Apr 25, 2010
Phoenix
Yeah, it's happening to me too right now. I'm getting .02 down and .16 up. I normally get around .8 down and .7 up. It's been three days of the same sh*t. Its getting annoying because I love my evo and the internet is super slow right now.

coferj

Jan 10, 2008
Don't know why or how, but when running speed test app, when I turned off the location setting, i noticed anywhere from .2 to .8 on average. With location off,i also was able to get over 1.4 mbps on 3g. I dont know if it had the same effect, but was able to get over 6.5 mbps on 4g.

Mainly, the location service turned off repeatedly returned higher speeds on mine.

Sent from my Evo 4G

bdwright77

Mar 1, 2011
Houston
I have been having very similar issues lately. I first purchased my EVO about two weeks ago. I had hboot 2.10 and hardware 0004. I finally managed a root and stuck with Sprint Lovers Rom for a little bit. Trying to get over to Myn's Warm2.2, I started having serious 3G issues.

I flashed the most up-to-date radio, wimax, nv, and PRI (the combo zip), but it didn't improve the speeds. Most webpages would time out when trying to load, even though I showed full signal strength.

I restored to Sprint Lovers ROM where I've been able to get pages to load, albeit very slowly.

My speedtest results are a mixed bag. With full 3G signal strength, I recently got a DL speed of 275 kbps. It goes up and down, and even reached 900 kbps on one test. However, the experience when using the internet seems much, much slower than that, and certainly slower than when I first got the device.

Running a test on 4G yielded DL speeds of around 500 kbps, which is certainly slow.

I'm in Houston and don't know of any outages or service disruptions here.

Should I try an older radio? If I flash pc36img again to unroot, would that restore my previous radio versions and what not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Baseband radio 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel 2.6.32.17-gee557fd
PRI version 1.90_003
Software 3.70.651.1
Running Sprint Lovers ROM with Android 2.2

bdwright77

Mar 1, 2011
Houston
I have been having very similar issues lately. I first purchased my EVO about two weeks ago. I had hboot 2.10 and hardware 0004. I finally managed a root and stuck with Sprint Lovers Rom for a little bit. Trying to get over to Myn's Warm2.2, I started having serious 3G issues.

I flashed the most up-to-date radio, wimax, nv, and PRI (the combo zip), but it didn't improve the speeds. Most webpages would time out when trying to load, even though I showed full signal strength.

I restored to Sprint Lovers ROM where I've been able to get pages to load, albeit very slowly.

My speedtest results are a mixed bag. With full 3G signal strength, I recently got a DL speed of 275 kbps. It goes up and down, and even reached 900 kbps on one test. However, the experience when using the internet seems much, much slower than that, and certainly slower than when I first got the device.

Running a test on 4G yielded DL speeds of around 500 kbps, which is certainly slow.

I'm in Houston and don't know of any outages or service disruptions here.

Should I try an older radio? If I flash pc36img again to unroot, would that restore my previous radio versions and what not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Baseband radio 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel 2.6.32.17-gee557fd
PRI version 1.90_003
Software 3.70.651.1
Running Sprint Lovers ROM with Android 2.2

One more note, I just changed by HTTPD ports by dialing ##3282# like the instructions said. I didn't find any improvement in speeds after though.

Last edited:

aliaselchore

Feb 19, 2010
Los Angeles
One more note, I just changed by HTTPD ports by dialing ##3282# like the instructions said. I didn't find any improvement in speeds after though.

is not suppose to make your speeds better just make you get data with a lower signal level. your phone has like a meter that when it has a sertain signal level you get no data all were doing here is lowering that level so we can get data working at a lower signal level.

sitlet

Mar 30, 2008
Wow, not even close.

is not suppose to make your speeds better just make you get data with a lower signal level.

No, it doesnt make it so you can get data with a lower signal. NOTHING can give you a better signal except an airave. The only thing opening the ports does is redirects the data to your phone, without going through sprint's servers first.

your phone has like a meter that when it has a sertain signal level you get no data all were doing here is lowering that level so we can get data working at a lower signal level.

No. Not even close.

And way to bump a month old topic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try this by gokuman56. His post his credit. Is great and it works.

You will need your MSL, Call Sprint or follow this:

1. Dial ##3282#
    2. It will open a menu, click WiMAX and enter MSL. Note: 4G radio must be on.
    3. Go to extensions and Hold EntryRX and Write Extension
    4. Change the Value to -110 (The Lower the weaker the signal can be for the phone to connect.
    5. Change EntryCINR to 0004
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you are tired of the Radio taking forever to reconnect once you loose your 4G signal, then:
    1. Change Scan Retries to 00015
    2. Change Scan attempt timeout to 0002

You will now have a somewhat faster and much stronger 4G signal!!!

EDIT: Easier Way to get MSL. Okay so you have to download connectbot from the Market
    1. Open ConnectBot
    2. Agree Next Next Yada Yada
    3. Press SSH and select Local
    4. type in whatever you want by local and press enter
    5. ok once you see a black screen and to the left a cash sign, type in "getprop" without the quotes
    6. You should see a lot of words, scroll up all the way at the top.
    7. Near the middle of the screen until you see [ril.MSL]
    8. It will be 6 digits and that's your MSL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For 3G Try This..
    It may already be implemented in your ROM, just check again:
    Steps:
    1. Know the MSL
    2. Dial ##3282#
    3. Go to multimedia
    4. HTTPPD Proxy Port must be 0
    5. HTTPPD Proxy Address must be 0.0.0.0

The 3G hack was found here:

For the EVO a similar 4G hack has been discovered here.

Sent from My PC36100 on the great x1 MetroPCS network
    fixed! re-provisioning worked. i had to do ##3282#, Edit, Data, Menu, Restore. It rebooted my phone and now i'm back to 1Mbps download speeds :p Thanks for the link and help everyone