Uninstalling Google system apps...

Search This thread

slider112

Hey guys,

Dumb question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I'll ask anyway just to double check:

Stock, rooted N5: Can I use TiBu to uninstall Google apps that are pre installed as system apps, then turn around and install those same apps through the Play Store as regular user apps? Any ill effects to this? Primarily looking at Google Music, so I can then Greenify it once it's installed as a regular app. Everything I know tells me this is fine but it never hurts to ask, right? May do the same with Keep, Currents, G+, etc...

Thanks in advance :D

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Hey guys,

Dumb question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I'll ask anyway just to double check:

Stock, rooted N5: Can I use TiBu to uninstall Google apps that are pre installed as system apps, then turn around and install those same apps through the Play Store as regular user apps? Any ill effects to this? Primarily looking at Google Music, so I can then Greenify it once it's installed as a regular app. Everything I know tells me this is fine but it never hurts to ask, right? May do the same with Keep, Currents, G+, etc...

Thanks in advance :D

Yep, you can uninstall Google apps, like music, plus, magazine, etc... and download as user apps, then greenify them.
I removed some them on day 1 when was on stock and now whenever I flash a new Rom with Gapps. Just be careful with what you choose. I recommend to first back them up then if everything is fine, delete backups.

Last edited:

slider112

Yep, you can uninstall Google apps, like music, plus, magazine, etc... and download as user apps, then greenify them.
I removed some them on day 1 when was on stock and now whenever I flash a new Rom with Gapps. Just be careful with what you choose. I recommend to first back them up then if everything is fine, delete backups.

Great, thanks for confirming. Just gonna stick to the basics, but will back up through TiBu first as a precaution. Google Music was at the forefront because at times it runs in the background when bluetooth is turned on. It was either go this route or purchase the full version of Greenify so I could hibernate all system apps. Greenify is well worth the support, but would rather just de-clutter things this way.

Thanks again, much appreciated. :good:

TheReverend210

Apr 7, 2010
Newcastle
You lose OTA ability if you outright delete.

Like was stated, freeze them. If you were going to uninstall them through Titanium anyway.....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

slider112

Don't delete. Freeze. There is nothing to gain by deleting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So freeze Google Music as a system app, then install as a user app from the play store? Seems kind of redundant. I understand that logic and have followed that for other system apps in the past on other devices, but is that really the preferred method if I'm only dealing with Google apps that were installed as system apps from the factory, only by default, and can be easily reinstalled via the play store? Oh, and I'm running Franco's kernel so the OTA capability ship has already sailed anyway... :D

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
So freeze Google Music as a system app, then install as a user app from the play store? Seems kind of redundant. I understand that logic and have followed that for other system apps in the past on other devices, but is that really the preferred method if I'm only dealing with Google apps that were installed as system apps from the factory, only by default, and can be easily reinstalled via the play store? Oh, and I'm running Franco's kernel so the OTA capability ship has already sailed anyway... :D

Why would you then install it as a user app? System apps that are also available in play can still be updated via play anyway.

slider112

Why would you then install it as a user app? System apps that are also available in play can still be updated via play anyway.

Yes, I know that. So I can greenify it. Google Music will run in the background once bluetooth is turned on. Can't greenify system apps with the basic app, so for that particular app I think this would be the easiest method.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Yep. Can get custom roms based on stock that have skeleton gapps. To answer your statement earlier

"Google apps really shouldn't be installed as system apps if they're available in the play store"

Well yes they should as that is where they are designed to be. They are on the play store to allow updating outside the scope of OTA.

And of course it's your prerogative to remove apps as system apps and make them user apps, but I do get the feeling you're only doing it to continue using greenify without donating. But then again, it's none of my business whether you donate or not.

slider112

Yep. Can get custom roms based on stock that have skeleton gapps. To answer your statement earlier

"Google apps really shouldn't be installed as system apps if they're available in the play store"

Well yes they should as that is where they are designed to be. They are on the play store to allow updating outside the scope of OTA.

And of course it's your prerogative to remove apps as system apps and make them user apps, but I do get the feeling you're only doing it to continue using greenify without donating. But then again, it's none of my business whether you donate or not.

Yep. Can get custom roms based on stock that have skeleton gapps. To answer your statement earlier.

- Yep. Know that. I only flash core/mini gapps packages on the "custom roms" I've run. But "based on stock" isn't stock. Point was more about not needing/wanting the extra features that "custom roms" provide. Especially on a pure google device like the N5.

- Opinion. They're not designed to be system apps and there is no benefit having them installed as such. They're system apps on Nexus devices because they're made by Google, only reason. They're on the play store to allow for users of non google devices to install/uninstall as they please.

- You get that feeling because that's exactly why I'm doing it. Never implied otherwise. Let's not go down the "you should support all developers for their hard work" road here. I've purchased more apps over the years than I care to admit, and continue to support developers and their hard work. Case in point: Titanium Backup Pro; which I used as the alternative here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't delete. Freeze. There is nothing to gain by deleting

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Ah well, yep. Non-donators are forced to do weird things.