Nexus 5 not charging properly (?)

Search This thread

ashirviskas

Jun 13, 2011
Kaunas
While I'm using my phone it keeps discharging. Screen is on minimum brightness, all apps closed, charging with original charger. Stock ROM, same happens with franco and ElementalX kernels. Haven't tried with stock ROM, but that would probably be even worse. Is there an app to check my charger, IE an app that would show charging amperage or something? Thanks :)

EDIT: The beggining of the post sounds so dumb :D What I wanted to say is that the phone keeps discharging while charging and using it at the same time. I'll just leave original text like this, it may make some people laugh :D

Last edited:

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
well, it depends what you are doing. if its discharging while using and you are only reading a web page, then its not supposed to. but if you are charging and using, and its discharging while you are gaming, thats normal. also it would matter if you are charging it via ac or usb(check how your phone shows the connection). if usb, than it discharging while using is very normal.

ashirviskas

Jun 13, 2011
Kaunas
well, it depends what you are doing. if its discharging while using and you are only reading a web page, then its not supposed to. but if you are charging and using, and its discharging while you are gaming, thats normal. also it would matter if you are charging it via ac or usb(check how your phone shows the connection). if usb, than it discharging while using is very normal.

Just browsing on 3G. Sometimes listening to music too. It discharges even faster if I'm listening music with my headphones too. All I'm using is chrome beta or Flow for reddit. I'm using xposed, all location and wifi scanning **** turned is off...

ashirviskas

Jun 13, 2011
Kaunas
Stats

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-14-22-06-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-14-22-06-39.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Just browsing on 3G. Sometimes listening to music too. It discharges even faster if I'm listening music with my headphones too. All I'm using is chrome beta or Flow for reddit. I'm using xposed, all location and wifi scanning **** turned is off...

right, but does your phone tell you its connected usb or ac? usb has a much lessor charge, and using it while its charging usb can easily drain the battery. oh, and xposed comes with a multitude of undocumented issues. most probably wont affect you, but some possibly can, the modules.

ashirviskas

Jun 13, 2011
Kaunas
right, but does your phone tell you its connected usb or ac? usb has a much lessor charge, and using it while its charging usb can easily drain the battery.

AC. I know about all these things, it's just that my discharge rate while charging seems not to be normal. It is 1.2 A charger, but it isn't behaving like one... Or am I just not used to nexus and that thing is totally normal?

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
AC. I know about all these things, it's just that my discharge rate while charging seems not to be normal. It is 1.2 A charger, but it isn't behaving like one... Or am I just not used to nexus and that thing is totally normal?

1.2 amp charger is pretty weak, im using a 2.1 amp. yea, i know the stock charger is 1.2, but google also sells a 1.8 amp charger for the n5, they advertise more power and a faster charge.

ashirviskas

Jun 13, 2011
Kaunas
:angel:
1.2 amp charger is pretty weak, im using a 2.1 amp. yea, i know the stock charger is 1.2, but google also sells a 1.8 amp charger for the n5, they advertise more power and a faster charge.
It would be nice if google sold those in my country... Funny thing is that my ~10$ dual usb car charger charges my phone 2x times better than this ”original” one.

raptir

May 4, 2010
The stock charger should be able to keep up with heavy usage, let alone basic web browsing. I can play intensive 3D games and still get a trickle charge. Something is wrong with either your charger or the device. The tricky thing is that all the current meter apps measure current by checking the net current on the battery... which means you're obviously going to have a negative current since your phone is discharging. The only accurate way is to get a USB ammeter. Do you have another charger from an old phone you can try? That would be my first step here.

ashirviskas

Jun 13, 2011
Kaunas
UPDATE:

Original charger is ****. Overnight it charged my phone to 88%. No wakelocks, no sync, just wifi. When I woke up, it discharged to ~70s. Then I said f this ****, plugged my old 0.5 A charger and it charged my phone faster with screen on than the original one on deep sleep. I don't like this.