Homemade PS3 Joypad phone mount for Nexus 4 - Pretty cool!!

Search This thread

cmberry20

Dec 13, 2010
After purchasing the excellent SixAxisController for my Nexus 4 so that I could play games on it using my Playstation 3 pad; I came to the realisation that the whole experience wasn't very 'portable' as I had to put my phone down somewhere in order to play it. The best solution is to somehow attach the phone to the PS3 controller.
At first I thought about using a 3rd party device - like the GameKlip. After see the ludicrous price charged for a plastic clip & the even more ludicrous priced charged for shipping, and then buy a holder for the phone, I decided to build my own device.

By pure luck/chance, I was cleaning out my loft a weekends back & was throwing away a lot of old PC spares (I use to build PCs for people) & came across an old Linksys PCI Wireless card. It occurred to me that I could use the antenna connector & the antenna itself as a securing mechanism for a mount that I could attach to the PS4 controller.

Firstly, I removed the antenna connector from the PCI card (I used a small hacksaw) & disassembled the antenna to leave just the base that screwed into the connector.

img20130604195132.jpg

Next, I removed the back from my PS3 controller:

img20130604195209.jpg

After finding the optimal spot for the antenna connector, I drilled a hole in the back of the controller body and attached the antenna connector into it.

img20130605191135.jpg

img20130605191237.jpg

This required a little bit of forward planning & modification.
Firstly, I had to hacksaw the connector a little bit more in order for it to miss the controller internals before using epoxy adhesive to glue/bond it into place.
Secondly, before the glue set, I had to position/rotate the connector around so that when the antenna base was screwed into place, it tightened up in the right place (pointing up). Once I was happy with the position, I left the glue to dry & reassembled the controller.

img20130605191849.jpg

sam0019fj.jpg

Next, I needed something to would hold my phone & that would attach to the antenna base. The best thing for the job I thought, would be a car screen mount.
After 10 minutes of so, I came across this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380641748695?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It seemed just right & for less than £5 delivered I ordered one straight away.

Several days later the screen mount arrived. For £5 its an excellent piece of kit! I might buy another for my car! The phone mount is removable (might be able to get other mounts if you change your phone), the mount can pivot around a ball joint at the top, this allows the phone to be a set at certain angles, and the arm is flexible allowing even more adjustment.

To fit the car mount to the antenna base I had to cut the suction cup off. Under the plastic cover for the arm I found that is was just a soft aluminium rod, so I cut it about a third way down from the phone mount to leave a short but still flexible piece of arm that allow me to bend the mount if needed. I also cut down the cover so I could fit it of the exposed arm.
The next step was fixing it into the antenna base. This was much easier than expected as the antenna base already had a hole in it which the wire for the antenna use to run through. By pure luck the hole was just a right size to fit the mount arm into.
Using epoxy adhesive again, I fixed the phone mount to the antenna base, again making sure that is was in the correct position before the glue dried.

img20130605195922.jpg

img20130605195913.jpg

Once all the glue was dry I was good to go.
Unfortunately, I hit a snag straight away when I fitted the phone. Because of the extra weight, the connector base would pivot at the rotation feature for the antenna. To stop this I just superglued it into position. Once that was fixed I found the mount would shake a bit when using the joypad. I found the reason for this was the 'elbow' joint on the antenna base was flexing a little under the weight of the phone. So, I had to epoxy bond the joint into position. Once this was done the mount was rock solid. I still had plenty of adjustment through the ball joint in the phone mount & the flexible arm.

So, now its all complete, it looks like this:

sam0011yw.jpg

sam0012h.jpg

sam0015l.jpg

And of course, a photo of the mount with the phone clipped in:

sam0022e.jpg

I'm really pleased with it & it only cost me £5 (plus glue & an old PCI wireless card) :good:
The great thing about this phone mount is that it's removable. If I want to use the PS3 controller on the console, I just unscrew the mount from the joypad & all I'm left with is the little connector which is pretty much inconspicuous. :D

If anyone has any questions regarding the phone mount or how I built it, I'll be happy to answer them.

Berry.

Last edited:

glaudrem

Nov 25, 2011
Valencia
Superb! I wish I could do something like that. Great Job!

Seriously, lately I've seen lots of interesting ideas around here. Should you people try to commercialize your DIY just as @CaramelBoogie did with his dock with pogo charger for Nexus 10

telzzz

Nov 6, 2010
London
Well done man. This is class!
Very tempted to make one myself after seeing this.
I used to mod and airbrush ps3 and xbox controllers so have a controller or 2 laying around to play with.
Thanks for sharing this :highfive:

coalacorey

Apr 3, 2012
The picture was made a few weeks ago too when I had a screen protector but with it the navigation buttons didn't work properly :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After purchasing the excellent SixAxisController for my Nexus 4 so that I could play games on it using my Playstation 3 pad; I came to the realisation that the whole experience wasn't very 'portable' as I had to put my phone down somewhere in order to play it. The best solution is to somehow attach the phone to the PS3 controller.
    At first I thought about using a 3rd party device - like the GameKlip. After see the ludicrous price charged for a plastic clip & the even more ludicrous priced charged for shipping, and then buy a holder for the phone, I decided to build my own device.

By pure luck/chance, I was cleaning out my loft a weekends back & was throwing away a lot of old PC spares (I use to build PCs for people) & came across an old Linksys PCI Wireless card. It occurred to me that I could use the antenna connector & the antenna itself as a securing mechanism for a mount that I could attach to the PS4 controller.

Firstly, I removed the antenna connector from the PCI card (I used a small hacksaw) & disassembled the antenna to leave just the base that screwed into the connector.

img20130604195132.jpg

Next, I removed the back from my PS3 controller:

img20130604195209.jpg

After finding the optimal spot for the antenna connector, I drilled a hole in the back of the controller body and attached the antenna connector into it.

img20130605191135.jpg

img20130605191237.jpg

This required a little bit of forward planning & modification.
    Firstly, I had to hacksaw the connector a little bit more in order for it to miss the controller internals before using epoxy adhesive to glue/bond it into place.
    Secondly, before the glue set, I had to position/rotate the connector around so that when the antenna base was screwed into place, it tightened up in the right place (pointing up). Once I was happy with the position, I left the glue to dry & reassembled the controller.

img20130605191849.jpg

sam0019fj.jpg

Next, I needed something to would hold my phone & that would attach to the antenna base. The best thing for the job I thought, would be a car screen mount.
    After 10 minutes of so, I came across this on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380641748695?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    It seemed just right & for less than £5 delivered I ordered one straight away.

Several days later the screen mount arrived. For £5 its an excellent piece of kit! I might buy another for my car! The phone mount is removable (might be able to get other mounts if you change your phone), the mount can pivot around a ball joint at the top, this allows the phone to be a set at certain angles, and the arm is flexible allowing even more adjustment.

To fit the car mount to the antenna base I had to cut the suction cup off. Under the plastic cover for the arm I found that is was just a soft aluminium rod, so I cut it about a third way down from the phone mount to leave a short but still flexible piece of arm that allow me to bend the mount if needed. I also cut down the cover so I could fit it of the exposed arm.
    The next step was fixing it into the antenna base. This was much easier than expected as the antenna base already had a hole in it which the wire for the antenna use to run through. By pure luck the hole was just a right size to fit the mount arm into.
    Using epoxy adhesive again, I fixed the phone mount to the antenna base, again making sure that is was in the correct position before the glue dried.

img20130605195922.jpg

img20130605195913.jpg

Once all the glue was dry I was good to go.
    Unfortunately, I hit a snag straight away when I fitted the phone. Because of the extra weight, the connector base would pivot at the rotation feature for the antenna. To stop this I just superglued it into position. Once that was fixed I found the mount would shake a bit when using the joypad. I found the reason for this was the 'elbow' joint on the antenna base was flexing a little under the weight of the phone. So, I had to epoxy bond the joint into position. Once this was done the mount was rock solid. I still had plenty of adjustment through the ball joint in the phone mount & the flexible arm.

So, now its all complete, it looks like this:

sam0011yw.jpg

sam0012h.jpg

sam0015l.jpg

And of course, a photo of the mount with the phone clipped in:

sam0022e.jpg

I'm really pleased with it & it only cost me £5 (plus glue & an old PCI wireless card) :good:
    The great thing about this phone mount is that it's removable. If I want to use the PS3 controller on the console, I just unscrew the mount from the joypad & all I'm left with is the little connector which is pretty much inconspicuous. :D

If anyone has any questions regarding the phone mount or how I built it, I'll be happy to answer them.

Berry.