AT&T Captivate be used without data?

Search This thread

ttimjer

Apr 12, 2012
I think that you can do that but only if you unlock the device

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
I could easily be proven wrong, but I think I heard somebody say that they won't know unless you connect to their data network.

Red_81

Dec 5, 2010
St.Louis Metro
Not to mention that if the device identifies to the tower as a smartphone (IMEI) then I believe AT&T will automatically add the data plan to your account

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
Disabling data from settings works. WiFi will be working too. And you can ask ppl on AT&T end to disable any data, even on-demand pay-per-use charges.

Jan 11, 2011
I've heard that it's possible to backup and erase your efs folder so that you appear to have a generic imei number. By using a generic imei number, AT&T will not know you have a Captivate and you can request for them to turn off data on their end.

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
Just as a heads up, disabling data on the phone itself will also disable your ability to send and receive MMS messages. SMS will still send fine however. That's how its always been for me unless things have changed. Someone else feel free to chime in on this.

Sent from my Captivate

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
I've heard that it's possible to backup and erase your efs folder so that you appear to have a generic imei number. By using a generic imei number, AT&T will not know you have a Captivate and you can request for them to turn off data on their end.

Yes and no. You would get the Galaxy S generic IMEI, so they would still know. That still doesn't mean they will contact you about it though.

Just as a heads up, disabling data on the phone itself will also disable your ability to send and receive MMS messages. SMS will still send fine however. That's how its always been for me unless things have changed. Someone else feel free to chime in on this.

Sent from my Captivate

Unfortunate but so true

OKAstro

Mar 5, 2011
Edmond, OK
I wish AT&T offered more Data plan options :(

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

...especially a family plan. They do it for Texts and minutes...why not for data?

jmtheiss

May 16, 2008
None
I wish AT&T offered more Data plan options :(

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

...especially a family plan. They do it for Texts and minutes...why not for data?
I would guess because 4 data plans at $30/plan is a lot more money for them than 4 people sharing one data plan at, say, $60.

Just my two cents, though.

crsdroid

Nov 29, 2010
maryland
I've used a captivate and iphone before on a att line with the data blocked and never had to add a plan but mms will not work

Sent from my XT883 using Tapatalk

rossmantim

Nov 12, 2011
i use my cappy without data. i just get a go-phone sim and put it in. yes it does work. just disable data in the settings and your good. all i ever do is buy 20$ unlimited txt and use wifi lol

Darkangels6sic6

Feb 3, 2011
I think its garbage that they charge $25 for only 2GB and $45 only gets you a cruddy 4GB. And because they allow you now you can tether that. BS! I don't even have a plan. I just use wifi. I have textplus, Google voice, csipsimple, pbxs account and I have unlimited calls, internet, and text in wifi

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
Way to contribute a solution. If you're living unplugged as you say, then why are you here? If you have nothing positive to contribute to our community, then don't post anything and leave.

Sent from my Captivate

Last edited:
Reactions: M973

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Please try to refrain from long sarcastic rants that dont contribute. but yes this question thread does belong in the Q&A forum... Moved!

Reactions: prbassplayer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Way to contribute a solution. If you're living unplugged as you say, then why are you here? If you have nothing positive to contribute to our community, then don't post anything and leave.

Sent from my Captivate
    Please try to refrain from long sarcastic rants that dont contribute. but yes this question thread does belong in the Q&A forum... Moved!