Ota question.

Search This thread

robwege

Jul 1, 2010
I am on a Verizon moto x developer edition with an unlocked boot loader, custom recovery installed and I am rooted. I got the notification for the ota update. What if anything will this break?

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
First, you need to be on stock recovery for the OTA to attempt to install. Next you need to make sure all your system files and such are present and back to "stock" (i.e. if you did the tethering hacks, renamed or replaced system files, etc, you need to undo that), and you need to un-install Xposed or the OTA will fail when it tries to install.

Since you are Dev with unlocked bootloader, it wont "break" anything, but the new bootloader installed via the OTA prevents downgrading your rom. So if you find an issue with 4.4.2, you're stuck with it, you can't flash back to 4.4. If you loose root, you can still flash custom recovery and install SuperSU to root.

Those with locked bootloader might keep root, but Write Protection gets Enabled again. With an unlocked boot loader, you don't have to worry about this.

StATicxTW0T

Jul 9, 2013
Also, if you really want 4.4.2, there is a zip in the android development section with an unofficial sbf. Be very careful with what files you flash, i flashed the zip in RSD lite blindly (my mistake) and spend four hours trying to figure out why i didn't have data or any mobile connection.

-edit-

Also, don't take my word for it but i think you'll still be alright if you don't flash gpt.bin and the bootloader and you should still be able to downgrade.

robwege

Jul 1, 2010
Ok. Thanks for the info guys. I might just wait until someone puts out the deoxidized 4.4.2 rom. I would flash slim or cm11 but I really like the active display and the touch less controls.

jasoraso

May 24, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Ok. Thanks for the info guys. I might just wait until someone puts out the deoxidized 4.4.2 rom. I would flash slim or cm11 but I really like the active display and the touch less controls.

For what its worth, I've been running this 4.4.2 rom (the odexed version, deodexed also available) created from a XT1052 image on my VZW/DE XT1060:
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/rom-moto-x-xt1052-t2639724

I did swap out the original build.prop with the Verizon-ized build.prop someone was kind enough to post on page 2 or 3 of that thread. It has been working great for me for the last week! Tethering even works on VZW w/o any extra steps.

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
I am on a Verizon moto x developer edition with an unlocked boot loader, custom recovery installed and I am rooted. I got the notification for the ota update. What if anything will this break?

If that's all you've done (haven't modified/deleted/renamed any system files/apps or installed Xposed, etc..) then it's really easy.

Flash the stock recovery back to your phone

install the update

Flash TWRP back to your phone (or not....)

Done.

You won't lose root taking the OTA and flashing recovery back doesn't affect your user data or app installs/configurations.