Moga Power Pro vs. PS3 controller

Search This thread

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
I'm in the market to purchase a bluetooth controller that will be compatible with the 7 and from my research these two controllers seem to be the most discussed options. I am rooted and do not plan on mounting it to the Nexus. While I am used to the design of an Xbox 360 controller and the Moga is most similar to that design, I have read that the build quality is not quite as good as the ps3 controller. Being rooted, I am aware that both controllers can play an equal amount of games. Or that's my understanding anyway. I owned a different Moga over a year ago and used it with my rooted Razr M and it worked with any game that supported a controller with the use of root and a separate app I downloaded from the Play Store. It looks as if the Moga costs a bit more than a PS3 controller. But it also looks like I'll have to spend a few bucks on an adapter cable to initially set up the PS3 controller. So I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I understand it's going to come down to personal taste, but I was wondering if there was anything I'm missing here that maybe some of you could enlighten me about with pros or cons.

As a side note, I am waiting to hear more reviews on the Amazon TV device, but am considering purchasing it if it seems worth the price. It's my understanding that it will or does support bluetooth controllers in addition to the official Amazon controller. Since this purchase may be a possibility, I'd also have the hope that I'd possibly be able to use the same game controller with the Amazon TV as I do with my Nexus. Any advice would be great appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using xda-developers app

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
Haven't tried on the N7, but SixAxis Controller worked on my HTC One.

You don't need a special OTG cable (though it def makes it easier to pair), just the USB charging cable for the PS3 controller. You download an app to run on your PC to find out the bluetooth address of your controller. Instructions Here

I'll probably go ahead and get the ps3 controller then. It seems that is the consensus of most. Thanks very much for the input!

whoamanwtf

Nov 15, 2008
Best Coast
I'll probably go ahead and get the ps3 controller then. It seems that is the consensus of most. Thanks very much for the input!

The Moga pro works fantastic and I have been able to sync it to everything I own as a full functioning controller including the FireTV! Can't do that with a ps3 remote ;)

Reactions: Jersey846

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
The Moga pro works fantastic and I have been able to sync it to everything I own as a full functioning controller including the FireTV! Can't do that with a ps3 remote ;)

Hmm then that may be worth reconsidering. I would like it to play with phone, Nexus and a possible TV device.

Sent from my Droid Razr M using xda app-developers app

whoamanwtf

Nov 15, 2008
Best Coast
Hmm then that may be worth reconsidering. I would like it to play with phone, Nexus and a possible TV device.

One thing to consider is I am pretty sure that the ps3 controller app requires root, where as the Moga does not. Just make sure to get the Pro or any of the power ones, the normal old school moga doesn't have enough buttons to work with everything. Also while gaming on the phone, the Moga has a built in GameClip so it holds your phone sort of like playing a Shield.

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
One thing to consider is I am pretty sure that the ps3 controller app requires root, where as the Moga does not. Just make sure to get the Pro or any of the power ones, the normal old school moga doesn't have enough buttons to work with everything. Also while gaming on the phone, the Moga has a built in GameClip so it holds your phone sort of like playing a Shield.

Yeah my devices are all rooted. I needed root with my original Moga to make it compatible with most all games and not just Moga compatible games. Thanks!

whoamanwtf

Nov 15, 2008
Best Coast
Yeah my devices are all rooted. I needed root with my original Moga to make it compatible with most all games and not just Moga compatible games. Thanks!

Yeah, the Moga Pro however does not need root like the original did. It has two separate modes with different drivers. One is their usual Moga driver you are used to and the other is a universal mode that just works.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
PS3 all the way. Feels better and responds better. The separated D pad makes Retro gaming feel natural. It requires root but if you're a serious gamer you'll want root for other things like custom kernels and overclocks.

I use the PS3 on my Ouya too, which supports it out of the box. I use my Moga for travel but its just awkward.

PS3 feels like a solid gamepad where others feel like imitators.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Haven't tried on the N7, but SixAxis Controller worked on my HTC One.

You don't need a special OTG cable (though it def makes it easier to pair), just the USB charging cable for the PS3 controller. You download an app to run on your PC to find out the bluetooth address of your controller. Instructions Here

Yeah, the Moga Pro however does not need root like the original did. It has two separate modes with different drivers. One is their usual Moga driver you are used to and the other is a universal mode that just works.