[Q] Is This Phone Worth Giving Up Unlimited Data?

Search This thread

androidxen

Aug 18, 2010
Not so good for me. I always deal with the worst people at my local vzw store. He told me Verizon doesn't give out sim cards.

You sure it was a corporate store?

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/770471?tstart=0

AdamE_VZW Mar 21, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to milli)
milli,

I apologize for the inconvenience of replacing the SIM card in your device. Verizon Wireless does provide these at no cost. Third party retailers purchase their own inventory and also are free to set their own prices for the merchandise. The inability to activate a SIM card is the nature of SIM cards in general. This is a big reason why Verizon Wireless has chosen to replace these at no cost when necessary. If you are still in need of a SIM card, I encourage you to visit a corporate store or direct message me and I can help.

Thank you!
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Hitman23DB

Oct 26, 2011
Central Jersey
www.twitch.tv
You sure it was a corporate store?

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/770471?tstart=0

AdamE_VZW Mar 21, 2012 10:00 AM (in response to milli)
milli,

I apologize for the inconvenience of replacing the SIM card in your device. Verizon Wireless does provide these at no cost. Third party retailers purchase their own inventory and also are free to set their own prices for the merchandise. The inability to activate a SIM card is the nature of SIM cards in general. This is a big reason why Verizon Wireless has chosen to replace these at no cost when necessary. If you are still in need of a SIM card, I encourage you to visit a corporate store or direct message me and I can help.

Thank you!
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
It most definitely was. I've always had issues with the staff at this store. Either they have no clue or don't want to be bothered. I called customer service and they fixed the issue. I'll be receiving my nano sim in two days time at no cost.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

shess01

Sep 3, 2010
On the road...
Here's a detailed guide posted on Slickdeals, MANY people have gotten their upgrades this way and kept their unlimited data plan.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-with-verizon

The key is to order online, choose "Don't change my plan/services", then have the phone shipped to home, not to a store. Then when you receive your phone, DO NOT turn it on with the sim card that it came with; cut it up and throw it away, and use your old sim card.

This is what I did. There was a discussion about it in the tachyon Rom thread for the rezound.

I ordered from the HTC website. Got my SIM cutter off of Amazon. Removed the installed SIM before powering on the first time and installed my cut SIM. Unlimited data and new phone for $100 (father's day sale)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

May 26, 2014
I have the 1 gig of data plan but I use WiFi most of the time I use data. Always at home or my girlfriend's house. I'm able to keep it there with a little control.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

TenderloinShadow

Dec 30, 2011
My two cents: Verizon is doing this 6GB/month for $30 plan to get us to give up unlimited. In my opinion, with that for the next two years, it's worth it. I almost never use that much data in a month anyway.

In two years, there will have to be better data options. T-Mobile, for example, keeps looking better and better. Hell, if my parents weren't paying my cell phone bill by staying on VZW I would've switched already and grabbed an N5.

jova33

Oct 12, 2011
Houston
It most definitely was. I've always had issues with the staff at this store. Either they have no clue or don't want to be bothered. I called customer service and they fixed the issue. I'll be receiving my nano sim in two days time at no cost.

Verizon store employees have no idea what's going on. I had to go in to one the other week to get a replacement SIM card to activate an old phone on a different line, and they had no clue what I was talking about, and the guy insisted that he had to install the SIM card. I was like whatever, do it. Then he wouldn't give me my old SIM card back. He had to get a manager to tell him that it was ok to give back the old SIM card.

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

My two cents: Verizon is doing this 6GB/month for $30 plan to get us to give up unlimited. In my opinion, with that for the next two years, it's worth it. I almost never use that much data in a month anyway.

In two years, there will have to be better data options. T-Mobile, for example, keeps looking better and better. Hell, if my parents weren't paying my cell phone bill by staying on VZW I would've switched already and grabbed an N5.

The faster the network, the more data you will use. 6 GB may seem like a lot now, but in two years you'll need more.

Reactions: Hitman23DB

robsonline

Aug 29, 2007
The faster the network, the more data you will use. 6 GB may seem like a lot now, but in two years you'll need more.

It is not just the speed of the network, it is the new technologies that will emerge. I referred to this in an earlier post in this thread. I would add a reference to it, but I am away from a computer. Google I/O 2014 is a good example of this. Google is working with the auto industry to put a special Android OS in the head units of new cars that will use your phones data. Go to YouTube and watch the video Google demoed. It is actually very cool. This is exactly what I was referring to earlier. My mother's new Toyota Prius already uses her cell phones data from the head unit. Just my opinion, but unlimited data is to valuable to give up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hell no......... i love this phone.... but love my unlimited data more....lol
    Seeing as VZW unlimited data is priceless and the phone has a price, no. Don't give in; you'd only be doing what they want — making them more money at your detriment.
    This phone is unbelievable. I came from the GSIII and am in shock at how much better phones are now in the two years that passed since that phone was considered new and exciting. I think people who stream movies and music nonstop should keep unlimited. I personally am almost always on Wifi, and when I'm not I don't so anything like downloading movies or something. Who uses that much data away from home? I use about a half gig a month, and likely many gigabytes of Wifi data per month through my ISP at home.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I'm still using a SGS3 I paid full price for on launch day. So is my wife and 2 kids. Back then I could afford to pay full price for 4 phones. Today I can't but we all want to upgrade. It's been nearly 2 years after all and everyone else has shiny new phones. Verizon has the HTC One M8 for $99. I can handle 4 of them at that price. The problem is I'll have to get rid of my unlimited data. Right now we use a combined 10GB or so each month but we rarely have WIFI on so I'm sure we can get that number down. But that's not what I'm concerned with. I'm more concerned about the future of data usage as things become more data intensive. I see the data usage growing over the years. SO, is the HTC One M8 worth giving up the unlimited data and possibly paying much more per month in the future? Or should I hold out for something else?

It's gonna cost you $260.00 a month for 4 lines and 10gb of data. The phone is way awesome. I feel it's the best available. You aren't using any where near what an unlimited user would normally use so a 10gb plan is probably OK. But the caveat will be the the increase in your monthly.
    I don't know but I'll bet your not even close to $260.00. If you are jump on it, you'll like it. If not, these are tough times, and a big increase in a monthly bill might suck.

Just for the conversation, since I started using this phone, my personal data usage went down 20%. I also came from a Samsung Note 2.
    i wouldn't get rid of the unlimited data for anything. once you do it you aren't getting it back so keep that in mind and look at how much data plans are now. just my opinion