[G-Apps][GUIDE] Google Apps on the Kindle Fire -Getting Around the Update 11/30-

Search This thread

gus6464

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
That new market apk loads perfectly but force closes when downloading an app for me as well.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

abremel

Dec 30, 2009
Where can I download the current calendar apk?

We haven't gotten calendar to work yet.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

Got the calendar working!!! Had to copy googlecalendarsyncadapter.apk to /system/app, and then just installed the calendar apk, rebooted, and bam. calendar working and syncing. will post apks when i get a minute.. definitely need root for this tho.

EDIT: APKs Attached

googlecalendarsyncadapter.apk - copy to /system/app and change permissions to rw-r--r-- (reboot, maybe required?)
calendar.apk - install like any other apk

Attachments

• Calendar.apk
    320.3 KB · Views: 1,704
  • GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    110.8 KB · Views: 6,970
Last edited:

Bandage

Nov 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
One important note to installing market with full functionality...

You must move the .apk to system/apps and set permissions correctly, BEFORE installing it. It will continue to FC if you just install it like a traditional .apk.

Do this, and report back...make sure you uninstall any previous installations first....then reboot, then install as I instructed.

My market working 100%

abremel

Dec 30, 2009
Yup, that actually appears to be my setup as well - coulda sworn i left it in data, but its sitting there in system/app.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckong1

ckong1

Jan 16, 2008
New York

You must move the .apk to system/apps and set permissions correctly, BEFORE installing it. It will continue to FC if you just install it like a traditional .apk.

Do this, and report back...make sure you uninstall any previous installations first....then reboot, then install as I instructed.

My market working 100%

This seems to have done the trick for me, i've trying to get market working all day. finally! thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

Is the market limited on the kindle? I searched for twitter and the official app doesn't come up.

bongostl

Apr 28, 2010
Easier method

Use titanium backup to convert the market to a system app

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

MOPhiPsi

Oct 5, 2010
Boom! Worked...

Now the Market doesn't show up in the App drawer though...which makes it hard to get to to run...

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

How are you guys getting to the market after you install...as it is, I have it working, but I have to go back to root explorer and re-install it to run it b/c it doesn't create a shortcut in the app tray...

gus6464

Feb 6, 2008
San Diego
Ok this might be a dumb question but how do i copy the market files to system once it is rooted? ES file explorer does not show the /system directory

MOPhiPsi

Oct 5, 2010
Yeah, this is my wife's and she likes the kindle interface, so I am trying to figure out a way to keep it...but have the market icon with the other apps.

The other google apps (gmail, reader, calendar, etc) created icons in the App area, but the market didn't...

munday

Oct 6, 2010
Market Opener

I wanted to be able to use the market via the Kindle UI, so I threw together an app that has a market icon and just launches the market. Since some others were wanting to do the same I figured I'd share:

http://munday.ws/kindlefire/MarketOpener.apk

This does not install the market or make it work, that's all up to you. It just launches the already installed market app. If you don't have the market installed, it will just tell you that it can't find the market.

Here's a screenshot to show what the icon looks like:
market-opener.png

SwingBlade

Aug 14, 2008
I cannot seem to get any incarnation of the market to actually move to the system/app folder. Suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There was a silent update pushed by Amazon that breaks market.
    Don't Panic!
    Fixing it is a breeze if you've already done it once. Just re-follow these instructions to get your market back up and working. Once again, Props go to Bandage for writing these easy to understand and follow instructions.

Prerequisites

Root your Kindle Fire

Download the following apks
    GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    Vending.apk (Latest Version 3.3.11)
    See HERE for .apk downloads (complete GApps zip file)

Root Explorer App (or similar that lets you change ro/rw permissions)

Side Loading Apps activated on Kindle Fire
    On the Kindle Fire Settings screen, go to “Device” and turn On “Allow Installation of Application From Unknown Sources”

Instructions

1. Transfer the .apk files to your Kindle Fire via PC / Mac (remember where you put them)

2. Open Root Explorer App, and navigate to the transferred .apk files

3. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk and install

4. When complete, click "Done" and return to the file location for Vending.apk

5. Long-press Vending.apk and select the "Move" option on pop-up menu
    Navigate to /system/app folder

6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)
    Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

7. Long-press Vending.apk and select "Permissions" from pop-up menu
    Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

8. Install Vending.apk

9. Reboot your Kindle Fire

Once reboot is complete, select Market App and log-in as usual.
    Enjoy!

You will most likely notice some familiar apps missing from the market, as this device is lacking certain hardware specifications. However, once custom ROMs start appearing for the Kindle Fire, it is a safe bet it will no longer be the case.

Also, the Market App will not show up in the default Amazon Launcher.
    You will need to install an alternate launcher (ie Go Launcher EX, ADW).
    Find instructions HERE.
    For another option than installing an alternate option, check out this work around also!

Credits
    JolleyBoy
    mashi
    Bandage.
    Market Opener

I wanted to be able to use the market via the Kindle UI, so I threw together an app that has a market icon and just launches the market. Since some others were wanting to do the same I figured I'd share:

http://munday.ws/kindlefire/MarketOpener.apk

This does not install the market or make it work, that's all up to you. It just launches the already installed market app. If you don't have the market installed, it will just tell you that it can't find the market.

Here's a screenshot to show what the icon looks like:
    market-opener.png

My market working 100%
    Where can I download the current calendar apk?

We haven't gotten calendar to work yet.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 AM ----------

Got the calendar working!!! Had to copy googlecalendarsyncadapter.apk to /system/app, and then just installed the calendar apk, rebooted, and bam. calendar working and syncing. will post apks when i get a minute.. definitely need root for this tho.

EDIT: APKs Attached

googlecalendarsyncadapter.apk - copy to /system/app and change permissions to rw-r--r-- (reboot, maybe required?)
    calendar.apk - install like any other apk
    What permissions should the APK be set to?

same as the rest of the apps listed there
    rw-r--r--