SGS3 officially revealed. Your thoughts?

Search This thread

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
Now that we have the SGS3 announcement out of the way...

Now that we have the SGS3 announcement out of the way we need to start pressing our respective carriers (eg. AT&T) to prioritize the ICS updates for our phones.

I feel we need to somehow make it clear to our cellular companies that "timing" updates to coalesce with their marketing strategies is detrimental to the end user and, ultimately, negatively impacts their PR. I think it has become obvious that the prerequisites for their testing to accommodate their unneeded totalitarian constraints on the software is taking too long. Smartphones do not need "Carrier-integrated" programming and there is definitely no need for proprietary restrictions over basic functions like voice-mail and contact lists. This is why the process has been slowed to a crawl, because they decide they need to have control over every aspect of our devices.

Sorry, just felt like ranting. :)

circuit.007

Mar 20, 2012
Personally to me it doesnt matter that the s3 has quadcore will the note doesnt. I mean it would be nice to have bragging rights. But developers and such havent had the time to fully utilize dualcore and now quadcore is already out. Not much use (sure its great from a tech view) but there are barely any apps that really require such intensive use. My note has handled everything thrown at it, and plus with overclocking to 1.83 lag has been removed from my dictionary. (okay i might be exaggerating a bit , i have had some hiccups but they were very rare). Also as others have stated s3 is mainly software which i really hope the note will get but when? Who knows.. still waiting on ics and premium suite....

And in my opinion the note has and currently is the most beautiful phone i have ever seen. It is what first drew me towards it. It holds an aura of greatness. The display..the screen..the shape. Its like a work of art.

Aerials

Feb 9, 2012
Not that impressed overall. I'm looking at it as an incremental upgrade over the GS2 (but at least much better than iPhone 4S over IP4).
Quad-core is the only real feature that stands out to me as an upgrade. And even that...is it really necessary for phones? I could see the use for tablets.
As many people have said, devs are still trying to fully optimize dual-core phones.

Seems like I'll just hang onto my Note for the time being...and wait until they release a 1080p screen phone that can hopefully be an intl' version that works with at&t LTE in the future.

porkenhimer

Apr 9, 2009
Now that we have the SGS3 announcement out of the way we need to start pressing our respective carriers (eg. AT&T) to prioritize the ICS updates for our phones.

I feel we need to somehow make it clear to our cellular companies that "timing" updates to coalesce with their marketing strategies is detrimental to the end user and, ultimately, negatively impacts their PR. I think it has become obvious that the prerequisites for their testing to accommodate their unneeded totalitarian constraints on the software is taking too long. Smartphones do not need "Carrier-integrated" programming and there is definitely no need for proprietary restrictions over basic functions like voice-mail and contact lists. This is why the process has been slowed to a crawl, because they decide they need to have control over every aspect of our devices.

Its just business. Just like going to a sporting event and seeing all the banners lace the stadium that have nothing to do with the event but are just advertisments to get the viewer excited and maybe make them go buy a pizza and some soda while watching the game. Think of it like a comercial, you know your not gonna buy everything from watching the commercials but you might see something that interest you enough to buy. The carriers are paid by companies to put some of the software on the devices just like a commercial. They get paid by Namco, EA etc to put demo games on the devices in hopes people buy the full game. Our electronics have basically became advertising tools to squeeze money from us and its cool with me cause thats the American way and I have the choice to replace the rom or just ignore the bloatware.

Last edited:
Reactions: live4nyy

welchertc

Jan 13, 2011
Sadly, your view applies to only those of us that care about the version of Android that we are running. Basically only those people that root and ROM anyways. Of all of my friends that own Android phones, most of them are clueless as to what version they are running, and could care less. I have more friends with Android phones than friends with iPhones, and only one of them could tell me what version of Android their phone has. To us, yes, the latest and greatest version of software matters. To the general public, they could give a ****. Since we are in the MAJOR minority of Android users, it is very unlikely that we will sway the carriers to upgrade software any faster.

All the carriers care about is making money. If they can release a new phone with software that is marginally better, and add all of their bull**** to it, then sell the phone by telling the average user that it's simply "better" with little further explanation, then they're going to do it. That pushes them to only care about the latest and greatest, because it makes them the most money.

If everybody were like us, it would take something truly revolutionary or amazing to sell each and every phone. When I bought my captivate, it was the best Android for ATT at the time. When I bought my infuse, it had the best screen at the time. When I bought my note, it had the best screen and the spen. Those attributes are what speaks to the average consumer. Also, when I bought my captivate, it had a strong development community started. When I bought my infuse, it was a great phone with promise of a decent development community. When I bought my note, I knew from my previous two Samsung phones that it would have at least decent development, if not awesome development. That is what has kept me loyal to Samsung. Looks matter to the average consumer. Software matters to the informed rooter and ROMer. Since ATT and the other carriers know this, they will continue catering to the average consumer that makes up 90% or more of their market, not us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
Sadly, your view applies to only those of us that care about the version of Android that we are running.....

Its just business.....

Yeah, I understand. To a certain extent it makes sense. I just hope that in the long run the majority of consumers will start to be more aware.

Also, while I know we're the minority, I feel that our "voice" is the majority. :cool:

I appreciate you guys responding to my rant amicably. :)

knoxster

Apr 9, 2012
I think we can pressure whoever we want but it isn't going to change the release dates or the process one iota.

Ultimately, they sold a device with software/firmware that functioned as advertised. These updates and upgrades don't get the general population (which outnumbers the OS freaks/geeks) very hot and bothered. Many people will never execute the upgrade.

I see them ultimately as gravy. While I'd love to see them come faster and all that jazz.. I try not to get too hot and bothered about it.

Ultimately, anything otherwise just angries up the blood with little benefit.

Reactions: live4nyy

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
I think we can pressure whoever we want but it isn't going to change the release dates or the process one iota.

Ultimately, they sold a device with software/firmware that functioned as advertised. These updates and upgrades don't get the general population (which outnumbers the OS freaks/geeks) very hot and bothered. Many people will never execute the upgrade.

I see them ultimately as gravy. While I'd love to see them come faster and all that jazz.. I try not to get too hot and bothered about it.

Ultimately, anything otherwise just angries up the blood with little benefit.

I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm usually the one that says:
"Don't buy a phone unless you feel you can live with it 'as-is' for the entire contract".

Some of my frustration comes from little things like having YP Mobile integrated into the contacts list and having difficulties enabling GV for voice-mail. Or sometimes AT&T decides that the user can't change the "home page" for the browser. And ultimately, I would like to see ICS released so we can get the source code.

Again though, I understand why they do it. I just felt like releasing some steam, that's all. Thanks for the reply. :)

xda1zero

Dec 13, 2011
Galaxy Nexus is your answer... unfortunately there is no Galaxy Nexus Note(I would be all over that).

b3asty

Apr 4, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I think the new processor will be amazing but I can't say that I'm liking the rounded edges. This thing is borderline pebble-shaped.

It will be interesting to see where they take the design to with the Note 2, to say the least :)

screenshot2012050314445.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

I see nothing that doesn't read "Note 2". Everything else is non-existent in my world.

live4nyy

Mar 5, 2011
Galaxy Nexus is your answer... unfortunately there is no Galaxy Nexus Note(I would be all over that).

For sure. I actually bought the Note outright and I was trying to decide between the Galaxy Nexus and the Note for a while. The larger screen and LTE sealed the deal for me, since I live in an area covered by AT&T LTE.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
after reading the official information it's only a Quad band phone not compatible with AWS 1700
it lost the appear to me

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2...e--Designed-for-Humans-and-Inspired-by-Nature

the G.note is still a better choice almost everything the same, the only difference being the Quad core vs Dual core

screen almost the same by 0.2mm
ram the same
battery the same
everything else is the same

software... lol :D we can always get

basically having the G.note we're not losing anything if at all vs the SGS3

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
I guess if the screen size is too much for you on the Gnote, then the S3 would be a good "second choice", but I agree; there isn't any reason at all to think the S3 is a "better" phone than the Gnote, all things considered.

the2rrell

Jun 27, 2011
Anyone know of a good site that i can preorder the international GS3 from??

have been looking around but some of the sites i find seem shaky....

MUFC17JW

Mar 25, 2012
Will galaxy Note users get the voice and eye recognition like the SIII or even the SVoice once the ICS update is available?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had been eagerly anticipating a device that would be worth switching to from the note because (lets be honest) who doesn't love a new phone? But I can honestly say that this one wont do it for me. I guess if there was a way to have quad core and lte living together then I might consider it but I just love the note so much. I know it sounds crazy but I just don't see them coming out with anything (other than maybe the note 2) that would be worth switching to from my current note. This is sad because I love getting new phones so I guess it bittersweet for me.

Love the note. If you're not on seraphim it might be time take a look in the mirror and make sure you get your priorities straightened out...lol

Aren't we all glad to be proud owners of the Galaxy Note? :D:D:D
    I think the new processor will be amazing but I can't say that I'm liking the rounded edges. This thing is borderline pebble-shaped.

It will be interesting to see where they take the design to with the Note 2, to say the least :)

screenshot2012050314445.png

I dont like the rounded edges either. The only thing i like about the phone is the new processor. And they finally add the light notification, which is good. Besides those two things, Im not impressed. Everything else is just software update, which the note will receive sooner or later. I will stick with the note for a while.
    Now that we have the SGS3 announcement out of the way...