[Q]Will we get Linux Kernel 3.14 on the N5, when it comes out?

Will Google update the kernel on Nexus 5 to 3.14?

• Yes, I think Google will release kernel 3.14 to N5

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No, kernel 3.14 will be for newer Nexus devices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We will probably get an unofficial port

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

granets

Oct 14, 2011
Vratsa
So the title basically says it all. I've read that the google team is working hard on getting the 3.14 kernel to android, possibly with Android 5.0. My question is, if anyone has any idea if we'll get the latest kernel with the android update, or the kernel will be just for newer devices, like the nexus 6? I used to have a Nexus S, but I don't remember if it ever got a kernel update, when they rolled up a major android update. So any ideas guys?

granets

Oct 14, 2011
Vratsa
Since none of us can see into the future, anything anyone says will be a pure guess.

All I can expect is a well educated guess based on past experience. I know that no one knows for sure, but if google did something like this before they are likely to do it again. It's just that I skipped over some generations of nexus devices and I don't know if google updates the kernel as it comes out, or do you get to keep only what you got when you've bought the phone?
btw, hi rootSU, haven't seen you in a while

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
All I can expect is a well educated guess on past experience. I know that no one knows for sure, but if google did something like this before they are likely to do it again. It's just that I skipped over some generations of nexus devices and I don't know if google updates the kernel as it comes out, or do you get to keep only what you got when you've bought the phone?

I'm guessing they won't. Not every kernel release has something in it that we need. Generally we wouldn't need to re-base the kernel for standard use.

Then again, this is my first nexus.

Edit > Yes left the S3 in November ;)

Reactions: granets

granets

Oct 14, 2011
Vratsa
I'm guessing they won't. Not every kernel release has something in it that we need. Generally we wouldn't need to re-base the kernel for standard use.

Yeah I've seen you post in a couple of S3 threads, I'd say very often :) Nexus devices are far superior to other phones(IMHO), I hope you like your N5. I got my S3 as a gift, hated that device, glad I managed to sell it and get a N5.

Reactions: danarama

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Yeah it's great. I've never had a Nexus but the HTC Desire I used to have was closely related to the Nexus One. I'll never go Samsung again.....and if I were to, it would definitely need to be Qualcomm based.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since none of us can see into the future, anything anyone says will be a pure guess.
    All I can expect is a well educated guess on past experience. I know that no one knows for sure, but if google did something like this before they are likely to do it again. It's just that I skipped over some generations of nexus devices and I don't know if google updates the kernel as it comes out, or do you get to keep only what you got when you've bought the phone?

Yeah I've seen you post in a couple of S3 threads, I'd say very often :) Nexus devices are far superior to other phones(IMHO), I hope you like your N5. I got my S3 as a gift, hated that device, glad I managed to sell it and get a N5.