gorilla glass scratches ??? YES!

Search This thread

mojojuju

Dec 23, 2008
everywhere
Well i stratched mine ... actually my wife did. She picked a few shells from the beatch thru them in the bag where my phone was. Next thing that damn screen had scratches on it :(

Next day went and bought creen protector. I hate that because even if the screen is unbreakable, you can scratch it.

I do think that in normal use, that won;t happen but you you have a wife that loves sand ... and shells ... take care and good luck. I believe that sand will scratch that screen.

p00kienrayray

Dec 28, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Gorilla glass is not unscratchable or unbreakable. Its advertised as stronger and less likely to scratch, but how much more stronger and scratch durable? My dell streak's gorilla glass shattered from a 3 foot faceplant. Granted it has a bigger surface area, it still shouldn't have shattered.

I never remove the factory screen cover until I have a skinomi or other type of protector ready to install.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

haghdk

Feb 22, 2011
Aalborg
Damn... The least you can ask for is a blo.... eh... a cold beer everyday for the next month :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: GauharJK

tolis626

Dec 31, 2009
Amaliada
Sand particles will scratch Gorilla glass.They are unprocessed glass after all! ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: GauharJK

lynxboy

Oct 7, 2009
Leeds
I stopped using screen protectors when I got a DHD and never had any scratches on it, nor have I on my SGS2. That said, I treat the phone like it's my baby! I suppose accidents can happen to anyone though.

Regards.

Tanmay®

Oct 13, 2009
Mumbai
www.tanmay.me
Having a screen protector will actually reduce chances of a glass shatter tremendously cause of the fact that the adhesive quality of any screen protector keeps the glass together making it less prone of shattering.

As far as scratches go, gorilla glass is definitely more resistant to scratches, but it never hurts to put a scratchguard on it, does it!

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
There's also been three reported screen fractures. Two from falls, one from sitting on it. So it's definitely not unbreakable. I've got a Zagg Invisible Shield full body suit on mine. As far as encasing your phone in vinyl goes, it looks pretty good. It's dead if I drop it but at least it will die pretty. ;)

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...es-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

I'm interested to know how that full body suit works. Surely with the back not being a flat surface you can't put a protector on it like a screen? Also, does it protect the edges?

Locster126

Feb 13, 2011
LONDON
Check the accessories thread on screen protectors, the invisible shield sucks on the sgs2.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Check the accessories thread on screen protectors, the invisible shield sucks on the sgs2.

Well, reading the posts in the accessories thread was 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Bottom line is people are looking for different things. I love those with a $700 phone buying $5 crap off of eBay. Anyway. I was looking for something to protect the phone, not just the screen. Here are some pics of my phone wearing the Zagg's. No protector is totally invisible. You can make up your own mind.

TopIII.jpg

TopII.jpg

BackI.jpg

TopI.jpg

RightI.jpg

paranoid2007

Mar 15, 2007
Well i stratched mine ... actually my wife did. She picked a few shells from the beatch thru them in the bag where my phone was. Next thing that damn screen had scratches on it :(

Next day went and bought creen protector. I hate that because even if the screen is unbreakable, you can scratch it.

I do think that in normal use, that won;t happen but you you have a wife that loves sand ... and shells ... take care and good luck. I believe that sand will scratch that screen.

I feel with you bro. That is exactly what my girlfriend did to my PSP with her handbag. :eek:

sgg021

Dec 9, 2009
it is not the glass itself that scratches but the coating on top of the glass... I have the same scratch. If i clean the screen with a microfiber cloth i cannot see any thing but when i run my fingernail on top of it i feel uneven surface.
And if my finger is oily THEN i can see the scratch.
Guys.. this is absolutely annoying. I dont see it but i know that it is there and it is driving me mad :(

I already ordered my zagg screen protector. hopefully i will have it in a few days and ill forget about the whole thing

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Well, reading the posts in the accessories thread was 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Bottom line is people are looking for different things. I love those with a $700 phone buying $5 crap off of eBay. Anyway. I was looking for something to protect the phone, not just the screen. Here are some pics of my phone wearing the Zagg's. No protector is totally invisible. You can make up your own mind.

So it protects the edges too?

dyallo

Oct 2, 2010
I got like a .3 millimeter scratch on mine. Just been having it in my pocket, never dropped it ..

Top Liked Posts