Kernel Wiping script

Search This thread

FredC94

May 20, 2012
Paris
www.mapom.fr
Hello,

before flashing a new kernel is it recommanded to use a tool like GS2KernelWipe Script. I played with a lot of different kernel with my Galaxy SII, and I'm wondering if it's necessary with my beloved Nexus 10 ?

Last edited:

brees75

Jul 6, 2012
Dallas
Hello,

before flashing a new kernel is it recommanded to use a tool like GS2KernelWipe Script. I played with a lot of different kernel with my Galaxy SII, and I'm wondering if it's necessary with my beloved Nexus 10 ?

Necessary? No. I have switched kernels without using the script for the n10. (It is around somewhere on here, in the Apps section I think) But it does FEEL better when you do. ;)

Reactions: FredC94

iKarido

Apr 27, 2011
If you have a kernel installed that uses its own ram disk and want to install a different kernel, you need to reflash the ROM then flash the new kernel.
But if its the same kernel (updated) then flash without wiping anything because they will use the same ram disk (if they use one anyway).

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
If you have a kernel installed that uses its own ram disk and want to install a different kernel, you need to reflash the ROM then flash the new kernel.
Only if the new kernel you are moving to does not include its own ramdisk.

If you flash a ROM, it has its own ramdisk. This would be considered the "stock" one for the ROM you are running. Flashing a kernel with its own ramdisk will override the one that comes with the ROM and you then use the new kernel one. Flashing yet another new kernel later on that also has its own ramdisk will again override the one you currently have. You dont have to re-flash the ROM in between because you are just going to overwrite portions once again anyway.

I believe KTManta and Franco both have their own ramdisks, I know that Trinity does not. So if you are on either Franco or KTManta you can either flash Trinity on top and then have a sort of hybrid of both kernels (with the majority of options and tunables being from the newest flashed kernel) or you can re-flash the ROM to get the stock ramdisk back and then flash Trinity so as to keep it "just" the Trinity kernel instead of a hybrid of it and your last used kernel.

iKarido

Apr 27, 2011

If you flash a ROM, it has its own ramdisk. This would be considered the "stock" one for the ROM you are running. Flashing a kernel with its own ramdisk will override the one that comes with the ROM and you then use the new kernel one. Flashing yet another new kernel later on that also has its own ramdisk will again override the one you currently have. You dont have to re-flash the ROM in between because you are just going to overwrite portions once again anyway.

I believe KTManta and Franco both have their own ramdisks, I know that Trinity does not. So if you are on either Franco or KTManta you can either flash Trinity on top and then have a sort of hybrid of both kernels (with the majority of options and tunables being from the newest flashed kernel) or you can re-flash the ROM to get the stock ramdisk back and then flash Trinity so as to keep it "just" the Trinity kernel instead of a hybrid of it and your last used kernel.

If I have KTManta or Franco kernel and I flash Trinity on top without reflashing ROM, the ram disk will still have the mods (or whatever) the previous kernel had. So it will either boot with conflicting problems with Trinity and that ram disk and won't function properly, or it will just boot loop. Most of the time it will boot loop anyway.

This is a known fact that pops on trinity kernels thread a lot :d

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

brees75

Jul 6, 2012
Dallas
If I have KTManta or Franco kernel and I flash Trinity on top without reflashing ROM, the ram disk will still have the mods (or whatever) the previous kernel had. So it will either boot with conflicting problems with Trinity and that ram disk and won't function properly, or it will just boot loop. Most of the time it will boot loop anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Never had a boot loop, and never had KT manta's extra governor/scheduler options flashing Trinity over it, because that would have been awesome. But I've never bricked a device either. Guess I'm lucky that way.

iKarido

Apr 27, 2011
Never had a boot loop, and never had KT manta's extra governor/scheduler options flashing Trinity over it, because that would have been awesome. But I've never bricked a device either. Guess I'm lucky that way.

Maybe KTManta uses the ROM ramdisk? I don't know for sure because I only use Trinity. And don't worry, you won't brick your device because of that.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Do I simply flash the zip file in clockwork mod or what? Currently using Franco and want to give Trinity a try

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Unless he replaces the ramdisk like on all other devices, then flashing trinity straight over Franco would create a FrankenTrinity

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Straight from the Trinity Ten Thread.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
If I have KTManta or Franco kernel and I flash Trinity on top without reflashing ROM, the ram disk will still have the mods (or whatever) the previous kernel had.

I know... Thats what I had just said.

So it will either boot with conflicting problems with Trinity and that ram disk and won't function properly, or it will just boot loop. Most of the time it will boot loop anyway.

In my experience bootloop problems from kernel incompatibility with flashing over each other is pretty rare. I actually used to use a combo on Franco's ramdisk with the glados kernel on my phone and it worked perfectly fine. Even Morfic (the maker of Trinity kernel) said you can flash his kernel on top of Franco's and it will give you a sort of hybrid of them both. See here:
Unless he replaces the ramdisk like on all other devices, then flashing trinity straight over Franco would create a FrankenTrinity

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

The governors and such arent part of the ramdisk, thats why. It would be nice to be able to load up the specific governors you want in any kernel, but sadly thats not possible. Those are part of the actual kernel itself and the ramdisk stuff is usually performance tweaks and mods to the system.

Last edited:

FredC94

May 20, 2012
Paris
www.mapom.fr

Ok, I think I understand.
Just to be sure, and regarding my original post, if I come from KTManta and want to give a test to Trinity, instead of flashing the ROM (CM10.1 ATM) can I use a kernel wiping script like GS2KernelWipe ?

Thank you

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Just to be sure, and regarding my original post, if I come from KTManta and want to give a test to Trinity, instead of flashing the ROM (CM10.1 ATM) can I use a kernel wiping script like GS2KernelWipe ?

Thank you

It does not look like that script wipes the ramdisk, which is a good thing really because if you wipe (delete) the ramdisk and then flash a new kernel that does not contain a new ramdisk then you will have serious problems. The only way to get back a stock ramdisk is to flash the ROM again.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Another thing I just thought of is you can make a Nandroid backup of just the boot image as soon as you flash a ROM, give it a name of whatever ROM you are on "-kernel" and then you can restore that boot image whenever you want to restore back to your stock kernel + ramdisk. Alternatively, you can save a backup of your kernel in Trickster MOD and restore it that way at a later point. But both of these methods first require that you still be running your stock kernel and ramdisk that came with the ROM you are on. If you already flashed something else, you will have to re-flash the ROM again to get back to the stock files first

brees75

Jul 6, 2012
Dallas
You could just grab the kernel from the rom and throw it into a flashable zip if you don't have a backup, instead of flashing the entire ROM again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

Necessary? No. I have switched kernels without using the script for the n10. (It is around somewhere on here, in the Apps section I think) But it does FEEL better when you do. ;)

Thank you

It does not look like that script wipes the ramdisk, which is a good thing really because if you wipe (delete) the ramdisk and then flash a new kernel that does not contain a new ramdisk then you will have serious problems. The only way to get back a stock ramdisk is to flash the ROM again.
    Another thing I just thought of is you can make a Nandroid backup of just the boot image as soon as you flash a ROM, give it a name of whatever ROM you are on "-kernel" and then you can restore that boot image whenever you want to restore back to your stock kernel + ramdisk. Alternatively, you can save a backup of your kernel in Trickster MOD and restore it that way at a later point. But both of these methods first require that you still be running your stock kernel and ramdisk that came with the ROM you are on. If you already flashed something else, you will have to re-flash the ROM again to get back to the stock files first