DroidSans Fallback Indic Font Here

Search This thread

sridharrn

Account currently disabled
Aug 16, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
I have worked on the Indic fonts and came with one font which support most of the Indian languages which includes Hindi(Devanagari), Kannada, Bengali, Oriya, Malayalam, Telugu, Tamil, Punjabi.

Find the Attached Zip containing DroidSansFallback.ttf, Replace your device's DroidSansFallback.ttf font with this.

Rooted Phone needed.

Note: Android still doesn't support them officially and don't include conjugate processing. Because of which the character rendering is not perfect, but readable.
Like "ಕ ನ್ನ ಡ" is rendered as "ಕ ನ್ ನ ಡ".
check the attachment for example

----------------------------------------------------------------
From 4.0 ICS, its very easy to add fonts

just push you font in /system/fonts folder
edit /etc/fallback-fonts.xml
add an xml node of your font.
restart

ಸಿರಿಗನ್ನಡಂ ಗೆಲ್ಗೆ.. ಸಿರಿಗನ್ನಡಂ ಬಾಳ್ಗೆ, ಸಿರಿಗನ್ನಡಂ ಮೊಬೈಲ್ಗೆ :)

Attachments

• CAP201010031628.jpg
    CAP201010031628.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 29,591
  • DroidSansFallback.zip
    309.9 KB · Views: 59,760
Last edited:

akshayadv

Nov 21, 2010
Dear Sridham..
Just one question, what is the original use of DroidSansFallback.ttf ??
Secondly, Galaxy S recent Froyo Update (DDJP6 ROM Supports Hindi, both on facebook and web pages). The font name is Droidhindi.ttf found in system\font directory.

Regards

nagagaya

Jan 29, 2008
hi

I have worked on the Indic fonts and came with one font which support most of the Indian languages which includes Hindi(Devanagari), Kannada, Bengali, Oriya, Malayalam, Telugu, Tamil, Punjabi.

Find the Attached Zip containing DroidSansFallback.ttf, Replace your device's DroidSansFallback.ttf font with this.

Rooted Phone needed.

Note: Android still doesn't support them officially and don't include conjugate processing. Because of which the character rendering is not perfect, but readable.

Can i get for windows mobile 6.5 htc hd2

sridharrn

Aug 16, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Dear Sridham..
Just one question, what is the original use of DroidSansFallback.ttf ??
Secondly, Galaxy S recent Froyo Update (DDJP6 ROM Supports Hindi, both on facebook and web pages). The font name is Droidhindi.ttf found in system\font directory.

Regards

DroidSansFallback supposed to contain all the language characters..
But its not complete yet..

Droidhindi.ttf!! its good news.
Haven't got my froyo yet:( need to work on it yet.

By the by can you share the Droidhindi.ttf font?

I heard there is some still doesn't render properly. Are you able to read hindi?

susheelnamdeo

Dec 11, 2008
indian language pack

how to replace the font which is in system folder. myfiles does not show system files? File expert shows but does not replace? dual file and ghost file managers do not show system folders?? help!

pdev

May 14, 2007
Any new development in this issue? I have googled infinitely and posted querry on xda forum. But no reply.
The Samsung and HTC must surely have solution. How can they not release the Hindi/Devenagarik language as open source. Its irony that open source platform like Android is stuck in language issue, while I thougth there are millions of Hindi speaking people around the world.

sridharrn

Aug 16, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Latest Samsung, Sony Ericsson firm wares do support

Latest Samsung, Sony Ericsson firmwares released in India, do support Devanagari and Bengali. But not yet officially from the Google.

For other languages the work around is what I Explained above.

sridharrn

Aug 16, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Here are the screen captures

from my xperia mini pro..

Attachments

• CAP201104211018.jpg
    CAP201104211018.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 632
  • CAP201104211017.jpg
    CAP201104211017.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 20,757
  • CAP201104211001.jpg
    CAP201104211001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 717
Reactions: ask77

nshivas

Dec 31, 2004
london
Instead of using root explorer I used the following commands in android sdk environment

Copied the DroidSansFallback.ttf file into root of sdcard and issued the following commands

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /sdcard
busybox cp DroidSansFallback.ttf /system/fonts
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
exit
exit

Rebooted the phone

sridharrn

Aug 16, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Instead of using root explorer I used the following commands in android sdk environment

Copied the DroidSansFallback.ttf file into root of sdcard and issued the following commands

adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /sdcard
busybox cp DroidSansFallback.ttf /system/fonts
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
exit
exit

Rebooted the phone

Yep, Even this method works, But Mount command parameter may differ depending on the device.

nshivas

Dec 31, 2004
london
Latest Samsung, Sony Ericsson firmwares released in India, do support Devanagari and Bengali. But not yet officially from the Google.

For other languages the work around is what I Explained above.

Sridhar,

is it possible for you/ someone to get hold of latest DroidSansFallback.ttf from devices you mentioned above?

I'm interested in Tamil language, your font file does work but still bit unreadable for me.

Thanks

Shiva

rachit2588

Mar 27, 2011
waterloo
working

workin on motorola defy...yeah still has that rendering problem with various "matras"...ne idea how to solve it..?

sridharrn

Aug 16, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
Sridhar,

is it possible for you/ someone to get hold of latest DroidSansFallback.ttf from devices you mentioned above?

I'm interested in Tamil language, your font file does work but still bit unreadable for me.

Thanks

Shiva

Font provided in the thread is not from the device. Its my own font designed for all Indian language. And bit unreadable because you phone don't have complex rendering

kdesai8581

Feb 6, 2008

Rooted Phone needed.

Thank you so much for these Indic fonts. Much appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Rooted Phone needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

restart

Yep, will try this weekend..

If anybody has a unix / linux system, please do following on the files from ROMs supporting Indic (ie., ligature formation, reordering, etc)

Code:
    nm -D libskia.so
    nm -D libskiagl.so
    nm -D libwebcore.so
    nm -D libharfbuzz.so
    nm -D libicu.so

Output has to be compared with files of same name from a ROM - preferably from identical hardware - but not supporting indic.

Note that output of nm can be very long - 2.5K lines or so. So, it is better to pipe output to a file "command" > output.file; and then grep output.file for words like indic, gpos, gsub, etc.

Edit 2:- if you take an executable file (like the browser), and run ldd command on it, you will get info about libraries on which the executable depends on. (nm gives info about functionalities a library provides, ldd tells libraries on which an application depends on).

Of course, you need a linux system - dunno about identical functionality on windows. It ought not matter what version of linux you run - as long you have "binutils" installed.

Will try this weekend..

I had decompiling frameworh.jar, if it supports Indic, it had extra class in them which was related to repositioning.. may be these classes have a native call to those libs..
    If anybody has a unix / linux system, please do following on the files from ROMs supporting Indic (ie., ligature formation, reordering, etc)

Code:
    nm -D libskia.so
    nm -D libskiagl.so
    nm -D libwebcore.so
    nm -D libharfbuzz.so
    nm -D libicu.so

Output has to be compared with files of same name from a ROM - preferably from identical hardware - but not supporting indic.

Note that output of nm can be very long - 2.5K lines or so. So, it is better to pipe output to a file "command" > output.file; and then grep output.file for words like indic, gpos, gsub, etc.

Edit 2:- if you take an executable file (like the browser), and run ldd command on it, you will get info about libraries on which the executable depends on. (nm gives info about functionalities a library provides, ldd tells libraries on which an application depends on).

Of course, you need a linux system - dunno about identical functionality on windows. It ought not matter what version of linux you run - as long you have "binutils" installed.
    Here are the screen captures

from my xperia mini pro..
    From 4.0 ICS

restart