Help ESN/MEID unkown :(

Search This thread

Jocelyn

Jul 16, 2008
Orlando, FL
Hi. I've been running rooted ZVA deodexed for months with no problems, but today my phone suddenly started getting very warm. I rebooted and I could no longer get any kind of connection (mobile or wifi), I would get "headphones unplugged" message, followed by a forced reboot within a few seconds. I immediately flashed the newest ZVC tot successfully and then finally realized I was not getting a connection due to my number, esn, meid, etc being "unkown" along with my msl obviously not working.

I tried ##72786# and a whole bunch of other things, which obviously didn't work. So what are my options other than calling Sprint or taking it into a store? FWIW, I'm fairly sure my info has was unkown prior to flashing ZVC. I remember reading about people getting replacements fro Sprint after updating to ZVC from ZVA stock. Was their issue similar to mine? Thanks in advance to any tips/info :)

\m/

Dec 1, 2012
Albany, IN
I've been out of the service and repair game for quite some time now, but if your MSL is not working to manually program and/or ##scrtn# won't grab your information OTA, I would re-tot and see if that helps. Otherwise, whatever caused the overheating could have caused board-level damage, which could have hosed your system outside of the realm of repair.

I know you are trying to avoid having to go to the Sprint store. However, your best bet would be to take it to a service center for replacement if you have TEP. If not, you could try contacting LG for a warranty replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jocelyn

Jocelyn

Jul 16, 2008
Orlando, FL
I've been out of the service and repair game for quite some time now, but if your MSL is not working to manually program and/or ##scrtn# won't grab your information OTA, I would re-tot and see if that helps. Otherwise, whatever caused the overheating could have caused board-level damage, which could have hosed your system outside of the realm of repair.

I know you are trying to avoid having to go to the Sprint store. However, your best bet would be to take it to a service center for replacement if you have TEP. If not, you could try contacting LG for a warranty replacement.

Yes, I'll probably pop into a store tomorrow if I can't get anymore info from here. When I say it was getting warm, I'm talking 42-43C, which is far from hot imo. Also, the MSL & SCRTN are not working because my ESN/MEID/Phone number are all missing. I'm pretty sure it all disappeared at the same time (before the tot), but I didn't mod or change anything since January. Anyway, thank you.

Jocelyn

Jul 16, 2008
Orlando, FL
did you, at any point, make a backup of your efs ? if so, restore it and see if that helps

Well I never did the method mentioned here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2451390

But, I just looked through some of my TWRP backups I have on my NAS and there's and EFS folder with efs1.emmc.win, efs2.emmc.win, etc. inside. I must have backed this up when I initally got the phone. Should I tot back to ZV7, root, install TWRP, and restore this? Thanks so much either way :)

Jocelyn

Jul 16, 2008
Orlando, FL
Yeah. Try that. (Can't hurt)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

OMG I was awake all night lol, but I fixed it!

I did tot for ZV7, ZV8, and ZVA several times but it kept doing screensleep death within 30 seconds after boot up aka there was no time to root or do anything. Then i went back to ZVC tot and initially became frustrated. I couldn't root with my PC, get into stock recovery, or even factory reset. It would simply reboot and never enter recovery. Then after several attempts to root, including manually, I tried it on my Macbook Pro and it worked.

So I'm rooted, using flashify to flash TWRP, followed by pushing zv8_aboot.img, but again I cannot get into recovery when I attempt to via flashify. I keep trying this, along with # reboot recovery, power/vol button, but cannot get into any kind of recovery lol. For the hell of it, I download goomanager, check reboot to recovery and I'm finally in TWRP. Problem is that I don't have EFS stuff on my phone lol, so now I reboot, add it, try again from goo manager and once again I can no longer get into recovery.

I repeated the whole process flashify, zv8_aboot.img, goo manager, and I'm back in. I restore EFS and it restores all of my info lol. It took forever, but I'm happy because it finally worked.
Thanks again for the suggestion jcwxguy! I'm going to go take a nap :)

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
glad it worked. fwiw, you downgrade aboot first, then flash twrp using flashify, not other way around.

:)

also to get into recovery, hold volume button down then press and hold power button (holding down both buttons until it starts to enter recovery)

Jocelyn

Jul 16, 2008
Orlando, FL
That's what I meant, I'm just tired lol. I did try the usual vol down/power button method but it wouldn't work. Not even reboot recovery would in adb shell. It just booted back up into system. I swear lol.
That said, I can get into recovery flawlessly non stop now. Thanks again :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

did you, at any point, make a backup of your efs ? if so, restore it and see if that helps
    Yeah. Try that. (Can't hurt)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk