[Q] Unlock US Cellular Galaxy S3 To Use On GSM

Search This thread

Konner27

Dec 8, 2012
Hi, first off I know that this is the Verizon section but there isn't a spot for U.S Cellular. OK, I have received a Samsung Galaxy S3 Model Number

SCH-R530 because the screen is barely cracked. The person got a new one and now I have this one. I have I Wireless for cell service which is a T-Mobile

affiliate. I Wireless uses GSM and I have a Mini SIM card in my Galaxy Nexus. When I dial the *#06# on the Galaxy S3 a MEID number comes up. When I

take the battery off and look there there is one IMEI and 2 MEID serial numbers. If I am correct I think IMEI is for GSM. This Galaxy S3 also has a SIMcard in

it which I thought CDMA doesn't use. It is a micro SIM and says US Cellular 4G LTE on it. Is there any way I could unlock this Galaxy S3 to use on my GSM

network? Please help. Thanks

x714x

Sep 10, 2012
Phoenix
It will work for gsm networks but you have to be rooted, edit the apn and i beleive you can only run 2g data. There is a thread about it somewhere around here on a howto for tmobile. And to the other person who said the sim is only for lte is correct, for verizon that is :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

JoJo2211

Sep 11, 2011
It will work for gsm networks but you have to be rooted, edit the apn and i beleive you can only run 2g data. There is a thread about it somewhere around here on a howto for tmobile. And to the other person who said the sim is only for lte is correct, for verizon that is :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Could you point to that thread please? Because I have a NOTE II US CELLULAR that I would like to unlock to use on AT&T. I don't mind if I get 2G data. Thanks

dallinsg

Feb 11, 2013
If you root it then upgrade to AOKP 4.1.2 custom ROM or any other custom or stock style ROM thats 4.1.X (Jelly Bean), then there is a REALLY easy trick. I know it's harder for US Cellular only because they are still using 4.04 ICS which doesn't support the menu you need to do this, you need JB for this trick, if you have it stock like on T-mobile then no rooting or upgrading needed, but US Cellular it is. I used it to unlock my tmobile, and my friend and mom both have us cellular. After you Unlock it you can always go back to stock if you want, just make sure and after you root but before you upgrade the ROM you do a nandroid backup to go back to. After you have a Jelly Bean ROM installed,
1. Type *#197328640# and it brings up the factory service menu (very usefull)
2. Select (1) UMTS
3. Select (1)Debug Screen
4. Select (8) Phone Control
5. Select (6)Network lock
6. Inside the Network lock menu, Pick option (3) Perso SHA256 off, Passed that is a screen that says something like "no options in this menu, current command is 11863", Wait for 30-60 secs, from there hit the menu button on bottom left of phone to bring up options, Select "Back".
7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked :)

It would be good for you to root and upgade a custom JB 4.1.x or higher ROM anyways as they have support and menu options for working on all CDMA/GSM/LTE Networks. Even if you unlock your phone using the IMEI number and paying 20$ for the unlock code, you will still need JB. They also have apps on the play store specifically for galaxy s3's, capable of unlocking for allot cheaper if your phones rooted.
Good Luck!

ramdesai

May 10, 2012
Pune
Whether us cellular model has sim card slot for GSM? Verizon sgs3 model has sim card slot for gsm.

Thanks doesn't hurt....

PaperRockets

Jul 11, 2012
Whether us cellular model has sim card slot for GSM? Verizon sgs3 model has sim card slot for gsm.

Thanks doesn't hurt....

Yes, the US Cellular model does have a SIM slot.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

If you root it then upgrade to AOKP 4.1.2 custom ROM or any other custom or stock style ROM thats 4.1.X (Jelly Bean), then there is a REALLY easy trick. I know it's harder for US Cellular only because they are still using 4.04 ICS which doesn't support the menu you need to do this, you need JB for this trick, if you have it stock like on T-mobile then no rooting or upgrading needed, but US Cellular it is. I used it to unlock my tmobile, and my friend and mom both have us cellular. After you Unlock it you can always go back to stock if you want, just make sure and after you root but before you upgrade the ROM you do a nandroid backup to go back to. After you have a Jelly Bean ROM installed,
2. Select (1) UMTS
6. Inside the Network lock menu, Pick option (3) Perso SHA256 off, Passed that is a screen that says something like "no options in this menu, current command is 11863", Wait for 30-60 secs, from there hit the menu button on bottom left of phone to bring up options, Select "Back".
7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked :)

It would be good for you to root and upgade a custom JB 4.1.x or higher ROM anyways as they have support and menu options for working on all CDMA/GSM/LTE Networks. Even if you unlock your phone using the IMEI number and paying 20$ for the unlock code, you will still need JB. They also have apps on the play store specifically for galaxy s3's, capable of unlocking for allot cheaper if your phones rooted.
Good Luck!

Did you indeed try this for a US Cellular model? Did it work?

apas100

Feb 10, 2013
That what I am looking for it too

How to use GS3 US Cellular for GSM , IS there any rom supports GSM & CDMA as rom verizon ?

3izz

May 12, 2009
hello guys is there any one who could give us a clear information about this version of the S3? ? i bought it and in israel there is no 4g lte so what should i do now ??

watkalay

Feb 24, 2013
unlocking sim card

I have rooted my U.S cellular samsung galaxy sch-R530U, but I am wondering if anyone knows how to unlock the sim card? I tried so many ways to unlock it, but no luck so far. Thank you.

Last edited:

WhitePhoenix5

Jun 11, 2013
So, let me know if I'm correct

I have doing some research online, and I just want to know if I'm correct, Please, please someone answer me:
1. All Samsung Galaxy SIII, by US Cellular, even though using CDMA, ALL contains a SIM Slot for GSM network? (being one of the few)
2. Since it contains a SIM Slot, in order to work in a GSM network, one alternative could be to get it Rooted, and then use an Unlock Software?
Please somebody answers me, I bough a SGSIII on Ebay, and just found out about this.
Thanks!

WhitePhoenix5

Jun 11, 2013
Does it works for Us Cellulars?

2. Select (1) UMTS

Good Luck!

I'm planing to apply this to a Samsung Galaxy SIII by Us Cellular, do you think it will work?

Reactions: juany02

JDW588

May 16, 2013
Ok. I've rooted and flashed aokp 4.2.2. :D but can't get the number to work. :crying: doesnt do anything. what am i doin wrong?

Hey Everyone..... I'm here to say that this DOES WORK just fine and dandy. But there is a step that no one is telling anyone or else no one knew. You have to first unlock the hidden menu before it is accessible. Go to your dialer and type the following in and then change to "Enable". Press *#22745927 to enable hidden menu. Once done with that go back and follow what the previous guy said to do........

Originally Posted by dallinsg View Post
2. Select (1) UMTS
7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked

Good Luck!

That oughtta do it for y'all.

Reactions: Testicopolicious

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2. Select (1) UMTS

Good Luck!
    Does it works for Us Cellulars?

2. Select (1) UMTS

Good Luck!

I'm planing to apply this to a Samsung Galaxy SIII by Us Cellular, do you think it will work?
    Hey Everyone..... I'm here to say that this DOES WORK just fine and dandy. But there is a step that no one is telling anyone or else no one knew. You have to first unlock the hidden menu before it is accessible. Go to your dialer and type the following in and then change to "Enable". Press *#22745927 to enable hidden menu. Once done with that go back and follow what the previous guy said to do........

Originally Posted by dallinsg View Post
    2. Select (1) UMTS
    7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked

Good Luck!

That oughtta do it for y'all.
    I rooted my sch-r530u and cant find any menus mentioned above. when I dial code it says no network. I have the update toolkit for my us cellular phone but really lost with the apn and diagnostic menu. also ive heard that if I flash to straight talk I wont have 3g is fixable? I have been reading every forum I could find and I am almost completely out of options or feel that way

What ROM are you on? Aosp/aokp do not support USD or ussd codes ( what ever that is called) you need to be on a stock/custom stock. Some devs may remove it from custom stock as well. So pay close attention to you ROM type and version.

I will be stepping in soon to try this on a d2usc/r530. I am a T-Mobile user. I had the d2tmo. Currently nexus 4. I need to repair the R530 and once I do I will help out. One thing is download mskips tool kit. Good luck.

Edit: look at this. Could be useful. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1626638