General Knowledge Thread

Search This thread

Bigc13

Jun 1, 2013
springdale,Ar
sup guys im new here to xda. i come from wcx illumanti land and was wilchilds beta tester.he shut down his site so i need a new home lol. i have a htc vivid with cm10. i was wondering what are the best custom roms for htc vivid? if so can yall tell me what they are? also is there anyway to get beats audio back on? thanks guys:D

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
sup guys im new here to xda. i come from wcx illumanti land and was wilchilds beta tester.he shut down his site so i need a new home lol. i have a htc vivid with cm10. i was wondering what are the best custom roms for htc vivid? if so can yall tell me what they are? also is there anyway to get beats audio back on? thanks guys:D

You basically have cm10, PACman, and borked...

Sent from my Vivid 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reactions: Bigc13

Bigc13

Jun 1, 2013
springdale,Ar

ok kool thanks man. i have cm 10 installed. its ok but i deleted dps manager and now i cnt play music. so now i have to use a 3rd party app ugg it sucks. i cant find a way to get it back i even tried to install threw recovery and using adb with no luck. sorry im off topic . but hows the borked rom?

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
ok kool thanks man. i have cm 10 installed. its ok but i deleted dps manager and now i cnt play music. so now i have to use a 3rd party app ugg it sucks. i cant find a way to get it back i even tried to install threw recovery and using adb with no luck. sorry im off topic . but hows the borked rom?

No idea... I said buh bye sense and never looked back...

cmerlyn

Aug 17, 2011
Rohnert Park

If you have deleted DPS you can install Viper4Android (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2285782). I've been using it for a while now, sounds very good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    General Knowledge Thread

Foreword - There is and will be no general flow in the way topics are added into here. I'll try to keep the big read things (APNs and such) towards the bottom while keeping the basics up towards the top though.

Table of Contents - Check back for added topics.
    1. Bricked Devices
    2. Network Symbols Explained (For AT&T Users)
    3. Preparing for ROOT
    4. Flashing ROMs
    5. How to Increase Battery Life
    6. CPU Speed
    7. LCD Density
    8. Beats Audio
    9. Useful Apps
    10. AT&T APNs
    11. Rogers APNs (Also see for link to other not-listed carrier APNs)
    12. Credits

Bricked Devices

I've only added this section because lately there has been claim of people "bricking" their devices. There are 2 different types bricks:

Soft Brick

A soft[ware] bricked phone is one that has had its (boot) partition(s) ruined but will still communicate on a COM port. These are fixed by flashing the correct .hex files in Download Mode of QPST to recover the boot partition.
    *Currently there is no known .hex files for our phone*

Hard Brick

A hard[ware] bricked phone is one that has had its chipset memory ruined. The only way to fix this is via JTAG to directly access the memory in the chipset and reflash it.
    *Currently Riffbox DOES NOT support our chipset and HTC has started implementing "JTAG Fuses" in their phones blocking you from being able to flash the chipset.*

To be quite honest though, all of you end users shouldn't have to worry about bricking your device, cause its pretty hard to do if you actually read and follow directions correctly. If you do brick your device, whether you followed the instructions to the dot or not, its still your fault. Devs take no responsibility for your actions. It was your choice to do, its your fault.

Network Symbols Explained

*As I've only had AT&T, I can only speak for how it is with them.*

Firstly, AT&T stock LTE phones always showing 4G is a lie. It will show 4G wether you have HPSA or HPSA+. Technically 4G doesn't even exist. It's a marketing gimmick.

According to AT&T here is how the symbols work:

E(dge): GSM - The slowest of the slow.
    3G: HSPA or UMTS - High Speed Pack Access and Universal Mobile Telecommunications System
    3G(+): HSPA+ - An upgrade to the HSPA protocal. This is your average network.
    4G: HSPA+ - Tower upgrade. Enhanced backhaul.
    4G LTE: LTE - Long Term Evolution. On LTE you should typically expect speeds no less then 20mbps.

If you are using the RumRaider ROM (as of 1/3/'12) your symbols will appear as:

E - E
    3G - 3G
    4G - H
    4G LTE - 4G

Preparing for ROOT

Firstly what is ROOT?

Where should I go to READ up on what to do? Check out the HTC Vivid SUPERGUIDE.

*Please make sure you read word for word, and use the search button to see if your question has been answered before you post.*
    **No really, I'm being serious, read it word for word. If you brick your phone, its your own fault.**

Flashing ROMs

Now I obviously can't tell you how to flash ROMs because everyone is different, and I want you READING what the Dev has spent his time to type up. So at least humor them, and read it. Even if you think you know everything there is to possibly know about flashing ROMs. You might just learn a thing or two.

Some good things to remember (along with READING the Devs posts) -

Don't flash ROMs, unlock your bootloader, ect.:

If you don't know what your doing, don't do it. If you don't want to take the chance, don't do it. If youre just going to whine, don't do it. Its the simplest solution to not making a mistake and staying stable.

Don't expect it to be perfect:

Every ROM for our phone is a work in progress. And they'll be that way for a long time. So obviously things are gonna act up, things won't work, things won't be included, ect. Don't flash the ROM and then complain about something not being there, or being buggy. Especially if its stated in OP...

Don't spam for something you want in the ROM:

This isn't your ROM and XDA isn't your personal army ;) If theres something you want really bad. Do some research, find a flashable zip for it. If it won't work with our device, ask a dev if they'd be willing to port it for you. If they won't then don't ask keep asking and bugging. If you are gonna ask a dev to port it for you, donating is a good thing to do. If one ROM has a bunch of things you want, and the one youre currently on doesn't, don't say "but this ROM has it". The solution is simple, switch ROMs. If your extremely picky on what you want, make your own ROM.

Read through all the posts before asking a question:

Sometimes it could be as simple as you messing up on a step or forgetting to do something. Sometimes its a known issue. A lot of times the answer to your problem is already in the thread. It'd save you (and everyone else) a lot of time if you'd just find the solution by reading.

Don't blame the dev:

If something happens to your phone, it is your fault. Whether you messed up or not. If you flashed the ROM, you took the chance. 99% of the time, it is absolutely because you did something wrong.

Keep a cool head if you make a major boo boo:

If something does go wrong, do not flip out and go ape crazy. No matter how bad it seems, a lot of the time there is a solution to fix it. Check to see if a solution has been found by someone in your situation. If not, then you can make a thread in the development forum. Post everything you did, any errors that popped up, and whats wrong. Be patient, stay cool, and do everything someone says to try.

Donate:

Donate and use the thanks button. The devs are spending their free time making these ROMs for you. They don't get payed to do this. Its a hobby for them. So at least make it a little more worth while for them. Remember they made something youre using, and most likely without them, you couldn't do yourself.

How to increase Battery Life

Firstly, let your phone deep sleep! When your not using it don't keep messing with it. If you think you got a text or an email, check the LED light (assuming you didn't change the settings)

Set the Screen Brightness down:

Don't keep your screen up at 100%...This should be a given. Typically Auto Brightness is enough but if your in an area where light is shining on the sensor making it brighter then it needs to be turn it down.

Turn Wifi off when not in use:

I know its convenient to keep your wifi on but I don't think you have any idea how much battery is wasted when you have no connection. It just sits there and searches over and over. Tasker allows your wifi to be automatically be toggled by your GPS location along with many other convenient battery saving toggles.

Vibrate uses more power then a sound notification:

If you don't need the phone to vibrate to notify you, don't use it. This is a very simple way to actually increase your battery life if you get a lot of notifications.

Turn off Data when not needed:

If you're somewhere that you know you won't be checking XDA, FB, or other data related things, turn it off. This will save a good amount of battery. If you still want to be able to receive mms, or emails, go to the Sync settings and disable the syncing of whatever you don't need.

Calibrate your battery

Technically every time you flash a ROM you should calibrate your battery or once every other month. This is the way I do it, but there are numerous ways out there to do it -

1. Let phone die
    2. Pull battery, wait 30 secs, put battery back in
    3. (Keeping the phone off) Charge to 100%
    4. Pull battery, wait 30 secs, put battery back in
    5. (Keeping the phone off) Make sure it still reads 100% when plugged in
    6. Using an app or CWM Recovery wipe your battery data
    7. Enjoy your calibrated battery

CPU Speed

Now typically I don't dwell into the area of messing with CPU speeds, using an app such as SetCPU, unless the current kernel isn't doing it correctly. This is because (IMO) the kernels default governor typically does an amazing job keeping the CPU in the areas it needs to be. The stock kernel maxes the CPU speed out at 1.2ghz. This is an underclocked speed (under the average rated speed for the CPU). The CPUs normal rated speed is 1.5ghz. So once again, 1.2ghz for improved battery life and still having a perfectly functioning device, 1.5ghz on the top of the absolute normal safe side. I say this because our device already runs hot even being underclocked. Overclocking is typically only for benchmarking although it does help some if you dwell in the area of high demanding apps and such.

*If you're on a kernel that doesn't correctly govern or just want to mess with the settings keep reading on; If not scroll on past to the next section*.

**Messing with you CPU speeds/voltages can cause your phone to freeze, overheat, and can drastically shorten the life of your device.**

Here is the settings that I use:

Main -
    (On Demand)
    Max: 1188000
    Min: 192

Screen off -
    (On Demand)
    Max: 432
    Min: 192

*At the time of writing this, overclocking isn't supported in any kernels, so until I update this, don't ask for the safe (if you can call it that) speeds!*

LCD Density

A lot of you have probably heard about changing your LCD density and are wondering what it is or how it works. Basically changing your LCD density changes the dpi (dots per inch or pixels per inch).

Essentially it allows you to go from this:

mMiOM.jpg

To this:

hhYRx.jpg

Credit to Addictive Tips for the pictures.

Rather then me trying to explain it any more then that, here is a good in depth article on the science behind it: LCD Density Explained.

Here is a good app to change your LCD Density: LCD Resolution

*When changing your density remember, the lower the number the bigger everything appears or the higher the number the smaller everything appears.*

**I don't know if this app works on our phone, I have never tried it. I have heard of it having issues on Ice Cream Sandwich but working fine on Gingerbread**

Beats Audio

*First and foremost stop asking for it to be cooked into a ROM, if you want it on your phone you can find the flashable zip here*

Now I know you're thinking, why is there a section just on Beats? The answer? This is one of those smoke and mirror things that I think needs to be cleared up. Beats is just a glorified EQ. All it does is clean up and amplify low frequencies (bass). Most phones that come stock with beats have speakers that are designed for it. Ours is not. Maybe if you have a pair of bass heavy headphones then yes this is for you...but even then you could just use a more customizable EQ and get the sound cued to how you really want it. As far as what it affects...just the music player. It doesn't affect streamed music, Pandora, youtube, ect.

Useful Apps

TitaniumBackup
    Flash Image GUI
    XDA Forums
    CPU Spy
    SetCPU
    Root Explorer
    SMS Backup +
    My Backup Pro
    Tasker

APNs for AT&T

PTA - Typically you should be able to use this one, although some people are having issues with it

Name: AT&T PTA
    APN: pta
    Proxy:<Not set>
    Port:<Not set>
    Username:<Not set>
    Password:<Not set>
    Server:<Not set>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type:<Not set>
    APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri

Back up APNs for if PTA doesn't work for you.

APN 1: (This is a Legacy APN and is typically not needed, unless you don't get HSPA+/3G in your area)
    Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun

APN 2:
    Name: AT&T HSPA+
    APN: phone
    APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun

APN 3 (SELECT THIS ONE WITH THE GREEN DOT):
    Name: AT&T LTE
    APN type: default,internet,supl

APN 4:
    Name: AT&T MMS
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    APN type: mms

APN 5:
    Name: AT&T LTE MMS
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    APN type: mms

APNs for Rogers

APN - ltemobile.apn
    Proxy - <not set>
    Port - <not set>
    Username- <Not set>
    Passwors - <not set>
    Server < not set>
    MMSC - http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    MMS - proxy 10.128.1.69
    MMS - Port 80
    MMS protocol - Wap 2.0
    MCC - 302
    MNC - 720
    Aythentication type - < not set>
    APN type - * (or internet + mms)

3G

Name: Rogers MMS
    APN: media.com
    Username: media
    Password: mda01
    Server: 172.25.0.107
    MMSC :http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 72 (If that doesn't work try 720, its already filled in, leave it at what it is)
    APN Type: mms

Name: Rogers
    APN: internet.com
    Username: wapuser1
    Password: wap
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 72 (If that doesn't work try 720, its already filled in, leave it at what it is)

Others - Big APN Thread

This guide is nowhere near complete, and I doubt it ever will be. There is just too much information floating around. My goal is to try and place a fraction of it together to make it a little easier on all you newbies :p Thanks for reading, and good luck! - Travis

Credits & Special Thanks to: Pirateghost, Slapshot30, Aus_Azn, dbaser

Please feel free to suggest anything to be added to the guide!
    i have asked to have this stickied.

you didnt ask me.. :D

i will also eventually come through and delete some of the chit chat in here so its just full of knowledge. Nothing worse than have to sift through a bunch of chit chat posts trying to find an answer...
    Try doing it without using the all in one kit and follow the instructions in the Super guide thread. Also that wasn't your unlock code (not that it'd matter if you gave it to us cause we can't do anything with it) you uploaded but a txt file clearly stating what folder you should place your unlock code at. I believe at this time you need to stop, take a step back, and make sure you actually know what your doing before messing with your phone.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA
    I have asked for help and have yet to get a response. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE somebody help. I am trying to root my phone. I got the Hansoon 2000's HTC Vivid all-in-one root kit and have worked through steps 1 through 5. Simple enough, but on step 5 "Unlock Bootloader" I get an error message saying: cannot load 'Unlock_code.bin'. I have double checked the unlock code that was emailed to me from HTCdev and made sure it is in the correct file. I am at a lose. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice? I have attached the Unlock code and some screen shots if it will help. Thank you
    Have you downloaded the 'Unlock_code.bin' and placed it into the specified folder? I think the folder is called 'data'