Pipo M6 RK3188 16GB Review

Search This thread

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
Hey guys, I just received my Pipo M6 today so I thought I'd offer my experience so far. Keep in mind that I am coming from an iPad mini and my daily driver is a HTC One X running Cyanogenmod 10.1.

Build Quality:

TBH, I was hoping for something a little better after reading some user reviews. It's still quite good overall but there's just a few too many seams and the edges are a little rough at certain points. Nothing major but it just feels like a made and designed in China product. It doesn't bother me so much though since I won't notice it after putting it in a case.
I was glad to find that underneath the temporary screen protector which comes with all new products these days, there was another one underneath it which means you won't need to bother with putting on one yourself.

Screen:

VERY pretty. Viewing angles are good and colours really pop. Brightness level is amazing and will surely be sufficient even if you are in the dessert. In terms of resolution, you can set it to HD mode or Normal which requires a restart. I couldn't really notice any differences although I might if I had another one sitting side by side. Only thing is, I used both AnTuTu and Android System Info to find out the resolution and there seem to be some discrepancies.
Under HD Mode, both apps reported a resolution of 1536x1952 with 320dpi. Now that's still within Retina level territory but they were advertising 2048x1536. Not a huge difference I know but still a little annoying.
At Normal Mode, AnTuTu reported 1600x1128 and Android System info reported 1200x1528. Not sure why the two differed but the difference is negligible when you do the math.

User Interface:

As you may know, you have the choice of using the standard Jelly Bean interface or the special Pipo interface which makes everything look a bit like Windows 8. I chose to go with the latter. Everything is quite smooth although perhaps not quite as flawless as my iPad mini but with Android devices, I've come to accept that.

I really like where they're going with this interface although there are some definite rough edges. It comes preloaded with 5 home screens labeled: Home, Media, Apps, Office and Web. These can not be removed. Within each, there are some widgets which corresponds to their respective headings. These widgets cannot be changed or removed. The other objects that cannot be changed or removed are the boxes ala Windows 8 which are predetermined to be either editable shortcuts or folders. I find this a bit annoying because sometimes I don't need so many folders and would prefer to just launch an app immediately when I tap it. You can add more homescreens and name them how you like but you can't change their colour or the types of boxes they contain. Overall, it all looks very nice but needs to be more customisable.

Performance:

I haven't had a chance to install any games yet but so far the "feel" of the device seems very solid. I do have a problem when trying to install N.O.V.A. 3, i can't even find it in the Google Play Store. After finding it through Google, it says that my device cannot support it. I don't get it. My One X can install this game and it's far below the specs of the M6. If anyone can let me know why this is, I can install it and let you know how it performs.

Battery Life:

When I opened the box, it was already switched on and showed that it had been running on battery for about 28 hours (so it was probably opened by customs since it was posted out a week ago). Since then I've had the screen almost constantly on doing various things for the last 5 hours and it still has 40% juice left. Pretty good then!

Conclusion:

Overall, I'm quite happy. It has some small niggles but then it was pretty cheap. For the people who are worried that the RK3188 can't handle a retina display, I think you can relax. Everything runs smoothly enough. Plus, if you really prefer a lower resolution, you can change it in the settings to conserve battery life and increase performance. It beats having an M7, M8 or M9 purely because they have much smaller batteries. The 2x5000 mAh battery in the M6 was designed for the retina screen so if you use the normal resolution, it would wipe the competition clean.

pulsar124

Oct 31, 2011
Only thing is, I used both AnTuTu and Android System Info to find out the resolution and there seem to be some discrepancies.
Under HD Mode, both apps reported a resolution of 1536x1952 with 320dpi. Now that's still within Retina level territory but they were advertising 2048x1536. Not a huge difference I know but still a little annoying.
At Normal Mode, AnTuTu reported 1600x1128 and Android System info reported 1200x1528. Not sure why the two differed but the difference is negligible when you do the math.

This is normal. Physically, the screen resolution is 2048x1536. The bottom of the screen is allocated for soft buttons, hence you get smaller vertical resolution available to apps.

Do a test - change the tablet orientation, and check the resolution again.

andbroe

Oct 17, 2007
Thank you for this comprehensive review. I myself also own a M6 3g and can mostly agree with your points. I myself think the build quality is quite good. No gaps or loose buttons.

Sent from my JB 4.2.2 powered HTC Desire using Tapatalk

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
This is normal. Physically, the screen resolution is 2048x1536. The bottom of the screen is allocated for soft buttons, hence you get smaller vertical resolution available to apps.

Do a test - change the tablet orientation, and check the resolution again.

Ahh i see, that makes sense. I never owned a device without physical or capacitive buttons so it didn't occur to me.

Thank you for this comprehensive review. I myself also own a M6 3g and can mostly agree with your points. I myself think the build quality is quite good. No gaps or loose buttons.

Sent from my JB 4.2.2 powered HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Yeah I think it's also not bad. I wouldn't really call them gaps, but the seam that runs around the edge of the device definitely doesn't look consistent on my machine; some parts look a tiny fraction wider than the rest. Maybe you had better luck. bBy the way, do you have any idea why the Google Play Store won't let me download N.O.V.A. 3? I'm sure the specs are enough since even my HTC One X running a Tegra 3 can download it. Only thing I can think off is that the internal storage doesn't have enough space but then shouldn't it download into the NAND Flash? I have plenty of space there.

UPDATE: Been spending some more time with it. I am liking it less now that it's frozen up twice (both times requiring a hard reset by sticking a little needle in the small hole next to the back camera - didn't lose anything though). Also, I have a few apps that force the tablet into a vertical orientation and every time, they would force it into an upside down position (where the power button would be on the bottom as well as the front camera). I guess this indicates that the tablet's natural position is contrary to its physical design. I find this quite annoying to be honest and should hopefully be easily fixable with a firmware update. I hope they get on it! God I wish I can install Cyanogenmod on this.

Last edited:

andbroe

Oct 17, 2007
God I wish I can install Cyanogenmod on this.

+1 :D

About the freezing. It happened also to me. Once even during a cold boot! But I am confident it is only a software problem. Maybe one day, when some of the excellent developers of XDA - developer take care of this baby we will get Cyanogenmod.

For the meantime I run RileyROM 1.2 (rooted and cleaned up, based on latest ROM from Pipo) and that works quite good.
See you

Reactions: marcolorenzo

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012

About the freezing. It happened also to me. Once even during a cold boot! But I am confident it is only a software problem. Maybe one day, when some of the excellent developers of XDA - developer take care of this baby we will get Cyanogenmod.

For the meantime I run RileyROM 1.2 (rooted and cleaned up, based on latest ROM from Pipo) and that works quite good.
See you

Thanks for the tip! So you didn't encounter any more problems after installing this rom?

5teve

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the tip! So you didn't encounter any more problems after installing this rom?

Another m6 user here also with a one x...

I also had the few freezes but since stopping using chrome, which runs like a dog anyway on this, it hasn't done it. Mines rooted and using the late June firmware. Only issue I've had other than that is a battery hiccup where it went from 65% to 13% in minutes and then back to 65% when the charger was plugged in. I have since ran it dead charged to 100% and calibrated the battery. The battery also doesn't have the correct MV reported

Other than that fast smooth even in retina mode and decent build. Can't find a hw 4k player yet tho like the a31

Steve

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
Another m6 user here also with a one x...

I also had the few freezes but since stopping using chrome, which runs like a dog anyway on this, it hasn't done it. Mines rooted and using the late June firmware. Only issue I've had other than that is a battery hiccup where it went from 65% to 13% in minutes and then back to 65% when the charger was plugged in. I have since ran it dead charged to 100% and calibrated the battery. The battery also doesn't have the correct MV reported

Other than that fast smooth even in retina mode and decent build. Can't find a hw 4k player yet tho like the a31

Steve

Yeah the first time it froze on me, I was also using Chrome. Can't remember what I was doing the second time. Anyways, I'm using the default browser now which suits me fine. Whats the difference between that and chrome anyway? i dont think ive had any issues with the battery although it did go from 14% to 4% awfully quick earlier. What do you mean the battery doesnt have the correct MV? Do you mean its not 10,000 mAh as advertised? How do you check that by the way?

matnl

Apr 20, 2010
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
I've been testing the more recent chinese builds (#17 is the latest one I've used) and have had no issues with Chrome or games. They apparently use the new Rockchip SDK 2.0, but I'm hoping we'll see these integrate the latest Mali drivers in the future. You can find the latest releases (currently #20) here http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=1946954351 and if you don't want it in chinese, you should use the Rockchipfirmware kitchen to debloat and modify it. There are no changelogs included with these ROMs though, so you'll be flying blind.

5teve

Apr 5, 2012
Yeah the first time it froze on me, I was also using Chrome. Can't remember what I was doing the second time. Anyways, I'm using the default browser now which suits me fine. Whats the difference between that and chrome anyway? i dont think ive had any issues with the battery although it did go from 14% to 4% awfully quick earlier. What do you mean the battery doesnt have the correct MV? Do you mean its not 10,000 mAh as advertised? How do you check that by the way?

On mine which is on the SDK2 firmware - there is a big difference with chrome and the stock browsers - chrome is massively laggy, freezes, stutters and is generally rubbish. Stock browser is fast and smooth. The only issue I have is not being able to scroll down on translated pages (htcmania) but change of orientation solves that..

regarding the mV issue, I am using GSam battery monitor and it reports the voltage as being 7mV

Steve

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
I've been testing the more recent chinese builds (#17 is the latest one I've used) and have had no issues with Chrome or games. They apparently use the new Rockchip SDK 2.0, but I'm hoping we'll see these integrate the latest Mali drivers in the future. You can find the latest releases (currently #20) here http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=1946954351 and if you don't want it in chinese, you should use the Rockchipfirmware kitchen to debloat and modify it. There are no changelogs included with these ROMs though, so you'll be flying blind.

Hmm that all sounds a bit too complicated for me. I went through quite a bit of trouble trying to put Cyanogenmod on my One X even with so many instructions available out there. Dont know if I can handle installing a ROM on a device that's not so commonly supported.

regarding the mV issue, I am using GSam battery monitor and it reports the voltage as being 7mV

Steve

Hmm well when I use Android System Info, it says my battery is 8mV. Does that mean its 8000mAh? If so then I'm gonna be a bitnpissed coz the whole reason chose the M6 over the M7 was because the battery. I actually prefer a slightly smaller tablet.

5teve

Apr 5, 2012
Hmm that all sounds a bit too complicated for me. I went through quite a bit of trouble trying to put Cyanogenmod on my One X even with so many instructions available out there. Dont know if I can handle installing a ROM on a device that's not so commonly supported.

Hmm well when I use Android System Info, it says my battery is 8mV. Does that mean its 8000mAh? If so then I'm gonna be a bitnpissed coz the whole reason chose the M6 over the M7 was because the battery. I actually prefer a slightly smaller tablet.

No voltage and current are different. eg a USB port outputs 5v (5000mV) at 500mA (or 0.5A)

Updating firmware on this is easy.. you use software on the PC to upload and flash.. the only panic I had was a very very long boot time the first time while it updates, I thought I had broken it. I was surprised how painless it was.

Thanks

Steve

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
No voltage and current are different. eg a USB port outputs 5v (5000mV) at 500mA (or 0.5A)

Updating firmware on this is easy.. you use software on the PC to upload and flash.. the only panic I had was a very very long boot time the first time while it updates, I thought I had broken it. I was surprised how painless it was.

Thanks

Steve

Well I think I can flash it since they provided the instructions themselves and I found some other instructions online but when matnl mentioned debloating and modifying the ROM to make it English, that worried me. Do you think it's really worth it? Did u notice a big performance increase?

5teve

Apr 5, 2012
Well I think I can flash it since they provided the instructions themselves and I found some other instructions online but when matnl mentioned debloating and modifying the ROM to make it English, that worried me. Do you think it's really worth it? Did u notice a big performance increase?

Mine was supplied with the pre SDK2 firmware, and it was a big difference going to the SDK2.0 firmware. I didnt debloat at all, I installed the one that said english, it booted in chinese, so i had to work my way through to changing the language to english. On first boot i opted for standard jellybean launcher and then installed apex for a bit of customisability. there didnt look like too much in the way of chinese apps and bloat?

Rooting was easy as there is a batch file on Htcmania that does it for you.

Steve

matnl

Apr 20, 2010
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Mine was supplied with the pre SDK2 firmware, and it was a big difference going to the SDK2.0 firmware. I didnt debloat at all, I installed the one that said english, it booted in chinese, so i had to work my way through to changing the language to english. On first boot i opted for standard jellybean launcher and then installed apex for a bit of customisability. there didnt look like too much in the way of chinese apps and bloat?

Rooting was easy as there is a batch file on Htcmania that does it for you.

Steve

I just did the debloat bit because otherwise you're stuck with apps in chinese which are difficult to remove. But as Steve said, it's fairly simple to figure out how to switch the UI to english or anything you like once you've installed the ROM. Like Steve, I also use Apex Launcher rather than the Pipo one.

Another thing I did was use a different parameter file so that I have 4GB of user space rather than the standard 2GB. But this probably is beyond the scope of this thread.

Last edited:

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012
I just did the debloat bit because otherwise you're stuck with apps in chinese which are difficult to remove. But as Steve said, it's fairly simple to figure out how to switch the UI to english or anything you like once you've installed the ROM. Like Steve, I also use Apex Launcher rather than the Pipo one.

Another thing I did was use a different parameter file so that I have 4GB of user space rather than the standard 2GB. But this probably is beyond the scope of this thread.

Alright, my M6 froze again today whilst using Pulse so I think I've had enough. I'm gonna try to flash it with a rom. A couple of questions first. How can I check which SDK I'm on? It says my Kernel version is 3.0.36+ from June 25th. Does that mean I'm on SDK2.0 already since it's the latest?

Anyways, I don't wanna bother anyone here with writing out a full instructional so can someone please just confirm that all I need to do is follow this guide: http://www.freak-tab.de/rrileypm/First Time User Guide_pr0_rev5.pdf Of course, instead of using the RileyROM 1.2, I will use the M6 4.2.2 #20 from http://pan.baidu.com/share/home?uk=1946954351 . Also, why are there two files with the same name there? One uploaded on the 13th and one on the 15th of July? Thanks alot guys!

SquallDNA

Mar 1, 2012
i already posted this to other threads
i bought my pipo m6 a week ago.. so far so bad!.. first off, i got a dirt INSIDE the screen, i was forced to remove the screen guard to see if its not a dirt in between the screen and the screen guard. unfortunately its inside the screen so there's no way of removing it without opening the whole system.. 2nd, im experiencing lags and forced close, QUAD CORE? 2GB RAM? what the!! my friends dual core phone is much better! mine doesnt even have to many apps yet. 3rd, i tried to play 1080 movies, mp4, it lags and crashes at me. aside from all this disappointing experience PIPO luncher form time to time force closes. another worse experience is that i experience FREEZE UP. the whole system froze while browsing facebook, for 20 minutes, all hardware buttons, touchscreen are not responding. i was forced to reset it via the little whole at the back of the device....i already updated to the 6/26 firmware release... but still getting the same issues. battery was good YES. but performance was disappointing. NOT TO MENTION the other users who comment about the SPEAKER! GOD! speaker sucks! based on a video i watched it was loud! but my SONY NEO V is way better! i hope that there is a FIRMWARE FIX to all this! except ofcourse about the screen dirt.. i was expecting to much about the new processor (QUAD CORE, better the DUAL CORE, RIGHT???), the ram but was getting to much frustration. the only GREAT thing about this device is the RETINA SCREEN, not including the DIRT of course, the the BATTERY!

marcolorenzo

May 17, 2012

I can understand your frustration. I've experienced everything you mentioned except for the dirt (although I do have a small black smudge underneath the glass near the right speaker). I'm really starting to regret getting this thing (especially with news of the Nexus 2 7" coming out soon at a possibly cheaper price point). I'm really hoping installing something like the RileyROM 1.2 will help fix these issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: SquallDNA

SquallDNA

Mar 1, 2012
I can understand your frustration. I've experienced everything you mentioned except for the dirt (although I do have a small black smudge underneath the glass near the right speaker). I'm really starting to regret getting this thing (especially with news of the Nexus 2 7" coming out soon at a possibly cheaper price point). I'm really hoping installing something like the RileyROM 1.2 will help fix these issues.

i hope so too. thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    God I wish I can install Cyanogenmod on this.

See you

If anyone is interested, PIPO released a new official ROM today, and kasty already made a custom ROM based on it (non 3G only):

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum...oted-android-4-2-2-firmware-release-20130704/
    hi mrt.gson, sorry to hear your problems with the M6. I'm definitely less than happy with my M6 although after months of tinkering around with it, it's now at a stable enough state that it's tolerable, although every now and then, I still contemplate smashing it :p

Regarding your Wifi problem, I definitely know what you're talking about as I've experienced the same problems but they only happen if the wifi signal is a little far away or weak. The wifi on this machine is definitely not very good so often I can't detect a signal or the signal is very weak even though my One X can manage fine. But if I am close to the router (such as in my study room at home) then I have absolutely no problems at all. I'm not sure what to recommend to you for this problem, sorry!

But at the moment, I am using RileyROM with Crossbreeder flashed which seems to help a lot. RileyROM is definitely more stable than the stock ROM but I still had some problems. However, after flashing Crossbreeder, it was like a new machine. The latest version of RileyROM is 1.9 which you can get here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8270-Pipo-M6-Max-RileyROM-1-9
    Read some of the user comments, they seem to be talking about combining it with Balrog's kernel which I haven't tried but it's sounding good. I'm still on RileyROM 1.6 but according to Riley, the Wi-Fi has been improved since version 1.8. As for Crossbreeder, you can get it here: http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGKIOh5vjZ-0Rld5s5iZdNpa1WwCA

Anyone heard any more about getting Cyanogenmod on this badboy?
    I'd love the ROM on my pipo and the support that comes with CM.

Fingers crossed it happens

Yeah, tell me about it. I absolutely love Cyanogenmod on my One X. I feel if this comes out for the M6 then we'll have no complaints at all...