Framework-res.apk Boot Loop Madness

Search This thread

EnUfor

Feb 6, 2014
I have never expected to see myself posting for help with my boot-looping S4, but here I am!

I had the Verizon Galaxy S IV on MJ7 running perfectly fine. I followed:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2512981

I'm assuming I did not follow the directions and renamed framework-res.apk to framework-res.apk.bak instead of overwriting the file directly. The phone crashed and is now stuck in a boot loop. I would be posting in that thread but being a new user, I am unable to. I have tried ADB and every other possible method, no avail. I did search the forums extensively!

When I do try ADB, I put my S4 into recovery mode and ADB update. The device appears but every time I try adb shell, the result is error: closed. I've been trying for hours and considering using the factory reset in the recovery because I can not find the stock Verizon MJ7 rom for ?flashing.

I am in dire need of help. The device was rooted and has SuperSu. I have removed all knox and mostly verizon bloat. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Edit:
I've found http://mirror41.downloadandroidrom..../roms/Android4.3/I545VRUEMJ7-Stock-Deodex.zip
Now that I have the file (still not sure if it is the correct one) I am trying to find out what in the world to do with it!

Last edited:

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
I have never expected to see myself posting for help with my boot-looping S4, but here I am!

I'm assuming I did not follow the directions and renamed framework-res.apk to framework-res.apk.bak instead of overwriting the file directly. The phone crashed and is now stuck in a boot loop. I would be posting in that thread but being a new user, I am unable to. I have tried ADB and every other possible method, no avail. I did search the forums extensively!

When I do try ADB, I put my S4 into recovery mode and ADB update. The device appears but every time I try adb shell, the result is error: closed. I've been trying for hours and considering using the factory reset in the recovery because I can not find the stock Verizon MJ7 rom for ?flashing.

I am in dire need of help. The device was rooted and has SuperSu. I have removed all knox and mostly verizon bloat. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Edit:
I've found http://mirror41.downloadandroidrom..../roms/Android4.3/I545VRUEMJ7-Stock-Deodex.zip
Now that I have the file (still not sure if it is the correct one) I am trying to find out what in the world to do with it!

You should flash the MJ7 no-wipe ROM - that "deodex" rom is not stock and won't flash using stock recovery/bootloader.

Go here for the MJ7 no-wipe ROM.

Reactions: EnUfor

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Wow, all this because I renamed one file. I just found that file a few minutes ago! Once I have the zip, what exactly should I be doing with it? I see it possibly have the .tar file for ODIN but by no means am I sure of it yet.

Thank you! :eek:

What you need to do is explained in the thread that I pointed you to. Flash that in ODIN.

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
k1mu is absolutely right. Also in the directions of my thread it says:

"Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked"

...just saying'

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Mistertac

EnUfor

Feb 6, 2014

"Please read the instructions; accidents while flashing framework-res.apk can and do happen and those mistakes lead to having to use full Odin restore tars. I almost made open1your1eyes0 brick had he not caught my mistake in the code. Luckily he was nice enough to test again, luckily that one worked"

...just saying'

You are correct; I don't blame you for my mistakes. I was following the Alternate Method from your post but failed to follow the MOVE instruction. I'll just need to be more cautious when dealing with such delicate files. Maybe I'll give it another shot later on since now I know how to fix the mess I made.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit:

You should flash the MJ7 no-wipe ROM - that "deodex" rom is not stock and won't flash using stock recovery/bootloader.

Go here for the MJ7 no-wipe ROM.

...just saying'